Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Supplying fuel to a c/l engine... >

Supplying fuel to a c/l engine...

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Supplying fuel to a c/l engine...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supplying fuel to a c/l engine...

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for answereing my last questions - but now I have another...

I have the 109 mostly finished - no, that's a total lie - I have it mostly COVERED now, only a couple of more weeks of sanding and doping to go...

I put the engine on a test stand yesterday and got the old fox to start, but I could not get it to draw fuel from the tank. Is there some trick to this? I don't want to run a bladder system, and I do not have a tank for the plane yet, but I also do not have a muffler to supply pressure to a tank, either. The tank on my test stand is a 3-line tank - I had one to the carb, one plugged and one that I had to blow in and pinch to get it to run. I'm (obviousy) new to C/L and I see the metal tanks on many of your models - and also on the plans I'm building from. What's the story with those? Can I use a small tank salvaged from my somewhat-less-fortunate r/c planes? If I do that, will I need a muffler for tank pressure?

Also, my local hobby shop told me that "They don't make clear dope anymore" yesterday. What's up with that? Sig's sanding sealer and their colored dopes (still on the shelves) all say to coat with 2-3 coats of clear before using any color or sealer? Have I been lied to, or do I need to head to the airport and just get a gallon of it? Or can I just thin the colored stuff to fill the weave and wood grain? Also, I saw a picture of aerosol spray dope and that just looks like a great idea, but I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks,

George
Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Supplying fuel to a c/l engine...

Something is wrong with your Fox if it will not draw fuel. Check and see if the gasket on the backplate cover is good. It sounds like you have a crankcase leak of some kind. People run RC clunk tanks on CL airplanes with good success ( I have not tried one.) Find out about uniflow tanks as that is the way to go. As far a clear dope goes, I think the airport is a good idea. A few pages down is my post on the worlds smallest and least effective muffler. I'm flying it with a metal uniflow tank and Fox 35 with good results.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Sig still has clear and so does BRODAK
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm thinking the guy at the hobby shop just doesn't want to carry it anymore. How did you attach that "muffler" to the engine?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Do you plan on painting your models in the future, or is this just a one shot thing. If you do plan on painting a number of aircraft over the next couple of years, and if you have access to an Aircraft Supply at a small general avation airport, pick up a gallon of But. clear dope, and TWO gallons of But. thinner. Transfer the clear dope into 4 one quart cans (from a paint supply store) and you will be set for clear dope and thinner for quite a while and at a LOT LOWER COST than from a hobby shop.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Fox 35's I have were bought in 1977 and have a place above and below the exhaust to bolt the muffler on. I flew a Fox with the holes drilled but no muffler and noticed bubbles coming out the holes. Put some 3-48 screws in the holes and stopped that. Later decided to cut the bottom flange down on the mini-muffler so it would fit on (fuel tube in the way) and have been flying the engine that way ever since. On an earlier model Fox 35, I would probably put a bolt vertically through the exhaust stack, or something.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Is the engine you are using an old Fox 35 or another Fox variety with an RC carb? If it is one of the controline types, you might want to remove the needle valve and blow fuel back thru the spraybar to be sure it is clear. Also, when running on the test stand, you will want to make sure that the fuel tank is at an elevation level with or slightly above the needle valve, but you probably already knew that.

The pickup line from the tank can be a typical clunk type if it is an RC plastic tank, or if you are using a tank constructed specifically built for controline, it will be the line nearest the vee side of the tank.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it helps much, I've got SEVERAL Fox .35's, .15's and .19's that I fly my CL planes with - all are from the early 1970's to early 1980's and all still run fine. About every 3 years or so I have to make new gaskets for the rear of the engines though - they don't seem to last long, and never have.

When they were new, mufflers weren't anywhere near as common as they are now. Most of the engines don't even have a muffler mounting capability. What I did was to buy mufflers (mostly the old Tatone "tuned pipe" type) and strap them on using pipe straping that you screw tight. They've held for 30 years and are all still working fine too.

Fuel tanks for CL: the RC "clunk" tanks work just fine - I've got 6 on planes right now, from 4 ounces to 8 ounces (depending on engine size). I've also got a few of the old metal tanks, 4 on planes, maybe a half dozen in my "goodies" box - most are 6 ounce.

The metal tanks have one advantage (for me) that clunk tanks don't have - I can shut down the plane engine any time I please by simply putting the plane in the tight circle directly above me. This drops the centrifugal force on the plane to near zero and the fuel that's still in the tank falls away from the pick-up. Engine stops and I just glide down for a landing any time I want. You can't do that with most clunk tanks, only with the metal ones.

If you want to send a PM, we might be able to get together on these tanks.

Dave W.
Flier from the old school
Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

AHA! Sorry about that - this is the second note tonight on almost the same subject.

As far as clear dope goes, the local airport is as good a place as any, most definitely. For CL equipment in general though (including SIG dope), I use RSM Distribution almost exclusively. Our LHS's around here are all "modern" and carry the modern equipment. When I mention silkspan and dope to them they look at me like I just walked out of a flying saucer or something.

Website for RSM is: http://www.rsmdistribution.com/
They're very very good.

Dave W.