Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Sources for cheap silkspan? >

Sources for cheap silkspan?

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Sources for cheap silkspan?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sources for cheap silkspan?

Anyone got any?

Dharma's $1.75/yd price on 5mm silk is good, but silk isn't silkspan for those situations where you want something with some strength and the ability to have a very smooth finish.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sources for cheap silkspan?

Try [link=http://store.sshobbies.com/dopeproducts.html]Sam's Stuff and Hobbies.[/link] If not, go directly to [link=http://www.brodak.com]Brodak.[/link] Sam's Stuff will be discounted off the Brodak price.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Tower Hobbies has this from Dave Brown..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB896&P=7

I'v tried it and it is just the ticket.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cutaway

Anyone got any?

Dharma's $1.75/yd price on 5mm silk is good, but silk isn't silkspan for those situations where you want something with some strength and the ability to have a very smooth finish.
cutaway,

Perhaps I am missing something, but silk is a lot stronger than silkspan...perhaps you meant polyspan?

George
Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh not not Skyloft!!!!

Tower Hobbies has this from Dave Brown..

Paul
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Interesting post, Remby. I tried DB Skyloft for the first and only time back in 2002, on a scratch-built Flite Streak. Don't know if DB has improved the product since then, but I found it to be unusable for my purposes and tossed the unused portion. The stuff I had went on ok (more or less like silkspan), but took major amounts of unthinned dope to get it filled--6+ coats. This, of course resulted in an overweight model. As I recall, it had some voids in it that were nearly 1/8" diamater in places, and something that large does not fill easily. Skyloft is also known to produce "frizzies" if sanded due to the long, tough nylon fibers. This is documented on the web and there are work-arounds for the fuzzing.

After a smelly, messy time removing the Skyloft from my FS wings, the SIG SGM silkspan that it still flies with today was applied with zero issues.

IMHO, the thread's originator should proceed with caution with Skyloft. Get some and try it on a test case before putting it on a model. One size surely doesn't fit all and Skyloft may be just your cup of tea. Same goes for Polyspan. Doesn't matter how great the covering is said to be if the modeler can't get it on in an acceptable fashion.

For me, it's hard to beat silkspan for structural enhancement and filling wood grain at a modest cost with simple, brush-on dope finishing methods that I learned as a youth. There are certainly more modern, convenient alternatives, but I can always get an acceptable finish with silkspan.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: gcb

Perhaps I am missing something, but silk is a lot stronger than silkspan...perhaps you meant polyspan?
I want the silkspan for fuselages and tails.