Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Electric beginner CL planes >

Electric beginner CL planes

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Electric beginner CL planes

Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric beginner CL planes

Has anyone experimented with a simple flat wing small beginner style CL electric model. I haven't figuired up the weight of an electric motor, LP battery , Ztron timer, to design or up-scale a " Stunt Chimp" or the like that will fly. I'd like to hear of any attempts and any results or recommendations. I have grandkids that have moved across the continent from me so I'd like to pre kit a less noisey airplane than the Cox powered models I had. I know that the scream of those 1/2A engines added a lot to the excitement of flying but noise seems to be a real problem anymore. I've kibitzed this forum for a while and I suspect that someone will have tried a small electric CL out. Thanks for any help . AG Bill
Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 AM

Default RE: Electric beginner CL planes

I'll be interested in learning from flyers who respond to your post. I had so much fun with the novelty of the Brodak Electric Clown, that I plan to configure an e-flight Funtana 300 for C/L. It has a box fuse and a big flat foamie type wing. It's about the size of the 1/2A C/L planes I built years ago, but it's lighter.

My plan is to stick with the 300 class outrunner motor and the battery capacity called for in the plans. I'll use a Brodak timer and ESC, since they are not a mystery to me. I did some quick calculations and that combination should be fine. Since 3D isn't in the C/L routine, a motor at the mid range of the kit recommendation should do the job nicely.

That conversion is about 3rd on the project build list, right now. So, I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 AM

Contact Bill at:

[email protected]

He's got the scoop on electric C/L.

Bill
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks fellas, I also just found an article in the Jan '09 "Flying Models" magazine about building electric control-line models. I should have enough info to get a start. If I think I can produce a reasonably decent model I may try to post a build .
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM

I took a GWS SLOWSTIK, removed the radio, dihedral, rigged it for C/L, put in a 225ma battery, anfdit only flies at about 10-15mph on 25ft lines. The neighborhood kids can all fly it.

PC
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM

The Slow Stick could be a possibility as I have one on the wall in the garage, but I think I want to kit something up cheeeep for the youngsters to put together, perhaps with son-in-law's help. I found plans on the Flying Models list that use sheet foam. flying-models.com plans # 251 from 05/05 and plan# 277 from 04/06. Not current but Sarpolus is a reknowned C/L r. Either that or maybe try to adapt a 2 dog rc WW2 fighter to C/L. Decisions decisions????? Thank you all for your input.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM

I converted a Sterling Fokker D-VII from glow to electric. This is one of the old sheet balsa 1/2A kits. The motor was a Turnigy 2211-2300 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp, 10 amp esc, either a 2 or 3 cell 350 mah 25c battery and a timer from http://www.horizonhobby.com/(the same one they sell for thier electric CL PT-19.) The motor pulls 7+ amps. I use a GWS 6x5 on the 2s, and a GWS 5x4.3 on the 3s battery. It flies slightly bettter with the 6x5 prop.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xby.. Can you post the part # for the Horizon Timer
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

xby.. Can you post the part # for the Horizon Timer
I can highly recommend the timers that are supplied by Will Hubin (he wrote the FM article, referenced above). They have screwdriver adjustments for run-time, idle-time, power level, and battery management. They do not need to be reprogrammed for every flight. I don't know anyone using the e-flite timers, but my reading of the description and a couple of reviews leads me to believe that they are lacking in some desireable features (though that is not to say that they won't do an adequate job of controlling the motor - just that there are better alternatives for the money).

You can contact Will at: [email protected]

for a catalog that he can email you.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Here is the link for the eflite (horizon hobby part) http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLA172
Will Hubin's unit is probably better, he says it is, but the eflite one does work. I plan to see who is using what at Brodak's flyin in june. However I am mostly interested in planes where I can control the throttle, so most of my planes will use the Clancy Arnold U-tronics system You can find his info at http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php...amp;board=39.0 I'll try to upload some pictures but right now the forum says they are to large.

I also have two 15 size models I have converted to electric, and generally plan to eventually go all electric.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Here a a couple of pictures of the Fokker and a flying clown I converted. The Clown would make a good beginners plane with the motor shown.
Clown Specs
Motor Alpha 370-1080
MA 8X6
3s 1000mah
10amp esc
eflite timer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67162.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1434901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15279.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1434902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10586.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1434903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70772.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1434904  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 AM

Check out http://www.stevensaero.com

He's now kitting 3 control line planes. Their RingRat might be what you're looking for. It comes in 2 sizes.

I'm building the RingRat 100 and it frames up in an evening or two. They run very well on cheap brushless motors using economical 2S lipo packs.