Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Super Twister

Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Twister

I've embarked on a project to scratch build an Berryman Super Twister from a set of old MAN plans. If anyone ever wants to do this, I've found out that the R5/R6 templates on the plan are wrong. The spar notch on them really needed to be moved back a bit for proper fit. When I cut my plywood templates they were dead on to what the plan specifies and I had to fudge the ribs to make it work.

I'll get some pics when there's some decent sunlight. I beefed up the center section and engine mounts a lot since I plan to put a ST G.40 rat race engine in this one. Its probably going to screw me into the ground turning an 8x10 ;-> I'm hoping for something in the 130mph range.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Super Twister

130 MPh [X(] interesting little project you got going there, how is coming along? would love to see some photos.

regards,
Mike.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Super Twister

Framing is done, and control system is in. Its about ready to cover now. Weight is a few ounces higher than normal, but there's a lot of extra plywood and epoxy in there to handle the ST G.40. I'm probably going to cover it with some FasCal 700.

I also put in some extra safety cabling tying the engine to the bellcrank, and another loop around one of the leadouts tying the controls to the engine in case the bellcrank bolt shears or the bellcrank tears out. None of that should happen, but at the speeds I expect this thing to hit...a little paranoia isn't a bad thing.