Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak Gladiator?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brodak Gladiator?

Has anyone flown one of these 1\2 A gladiator ARF's? I just bought one so if no one has a report I guess I will. The price is right and it looks good. The picture is not coming up now but it was when I made the purchase. http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=8644
Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brodak Gladiator?

Looks typical of current Euro/Russian combat plane layouts. Should fly better than a Lil Satan ;->
Old 11-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's a great looking plane but a bit pricey. You would need to buy the plane at $39.99 and then add a motor mount for $15.99.
Other than that it looks like a great plane. Might try one one of these days.

Jay
Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 PM

That is a great price as it is ready to fly. the mounts last a long time. I have like 3 or 4 sets already. It is a typical modern combat design without having to pay the shipping from europe. I will post more when I get mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: cutaway

Should fly better than a Lil Satan ;->
Agreed. Those flew well, but I don't recall them being all that maneuverable. Having constructed a similarly-sized series of planes for my son, I can vouch for the flying characteristics, though mine are self-designed and built.

Cent13
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM

The biggest problem with the Lil' Satan is it is just too small. The key to a good flying combat plane is wing loading. Most of the modern fast combat models are around 500 square inches. My modern 1\2 A foamy is 260 sq. in. That is huge compared to a Lil' Satan. Knowing how to get more power from the engines helps with the speed but wing area allows the design to turn without stalling.
The first time I saw a modern combat design fly (1990), I was absolutely amazed. I could not believe how fast it was, and at the same time how quickly it could turn. After talking to the pilot, who had asked me to launch for him, he taught me a great deal about design. The other surprise was the thick airfoil. The speed came from sheer power, and the turning came from weight, wing area and airfoil.
I think from a design standpoint, combat models are magical. I am very much looking forward to getting my first Russian 1\2 A.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 PM

This is what I am talking about!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1V59...eature=related
Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider the time frame in which the Lil' Satan was designed. I think it was designed for the Babe Bee of that period. A modern 1/2A engine has probably 3x the power of a single bypass Babe Bee.

George
Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 PM

The Gladiator showed up yesterday. It looks pretty good. I get the impression that this was manufactured in the orient instead of europe. Either way they did a good job. The center rib block where the engine mounts is made fro that typical Lewan type mohagony that will compress and is really not suitable for engine bearing. What I will do is add a small strip of formica laminate to act as pads. This is how the Litehawks were built (Larry Driskall's design). It is a combat plane though and any extended life expectancy should not be expected.
The covering is a little wrinkled typical as well. nothing that does not look like it will come out though. I really like the bladder compartment. It is a small closed end tube. No chance for leak here. The overall impression is very good as it is light and I am sure it will turn well.
The weather has now turned bad here but as soon as I get a chance I will get in a flight and report on it. I will either start with an AME .061 or my really hot AME .049. I am on the waiting list for the next batch of Profi .049 engines which from what it sounds are the most powerful available right now. 42' lines will be in order when that arrives. This airplane is as big as anything that would have had a .15 on it years ago. Just goes to show how far we have come!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:31 AM

No i don't have any experience with it yet, what about you?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:59 PM

I have it ready to fly but it is about 5 degrees here right now. One thing I have learned, even if you can brave the cold personally, the bladders do not work well at all. I have never been able to get a consistent needle when the temperature was under 30 degrees.
I am also now on the waiting list for a new profi .049 engine. I think I would rather fly it with that then my .061 AME engine.