Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

HOW DO I CONVERT?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO I CONVERT?

I have a small 20" DELTA WING hat I want to convert to c/l use. What do I need to do?

marwen1
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Default RE: HOW DO I CONVERT?

Marwen,

you don't say whether or not you have previously flown CL.

Assuming that you haven't, and that the Delta is set up for R/C, what you need to do is:

Take out the R/C equipment (all servos)
Lock the ailerons to level, and rudder to about 5deg right.
Install a bellcrank, roughly on the centreline and for convenience at the CG and connect to the elevator.
Add a leadout guide to the left wingtip. You probably need to have this go a fair way forward of the wing itself so that the leadouts are far enough forward to ensure sufficient line tension.
Add wingtip weight to the right wing to counterbalance the weight of the lines..

A couple of technical considerations:
Your leadouts need to be at such an angle that if you suspend the plane, the nose naturally points out by about 5deg.
CG for initial flight needs to be set a good way forward, about 10-20% of airfoil
Control movements of the elevator should be restricted to 15 -20 degrees for first flights.

For best results try to fly with established CL fliers in your area. There's no point making mistakes that others before you have made, if you can help it.

good luck with this and let us know how you go.

Regards

Greg

Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

This model sounds like it would be similar to the Feirce Arrow when it is converted.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Greg:
this is a scaled down FORCE ONE. First off, should I not reinforce the centre area with some light ply? Fixed rudders, so, I might consider a slight tapered buildup on the aft sections, and then install a couple of washers on, (which side) of the firewall?

This is a PUSHER PROP unit with ELEVONS. I guess I'll have to tie them together.

I've been a builder for years. In fact, this same plane I have in 36" and 60" WS for R/C. JUST never flown them.

I am now involved with a c/l club. that should help out

marwen1