Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Hanger 9 ARF PT-19 control line >

Hanger 9 ARF PT-19 control line

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Hanger 9 ARF PT-19 control line

Old 12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanger 9 ARF PT-19 control line

Anybody have experience with this. I have one built and I am using the Evo engine. What about stunt maneuvers with this plane and engine. No flaps, no rudder offset, dihedral in the wing etc. These are all unusual for a CL airplane. I like the options on the engine. What experiences have others had?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 ARF PT-19 control line

rascal,

You might want to post you question on the Stunt Hanger forum. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php
There is an ARF forum where you are more likely to get a response.

John
Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous post lets you know where there is a detailed review of this model. If there is interest on this RC forum, I can copy/paste some of my review here. [:'(]

In summary, the plane is a Hangar 9 sport ARF with the same very good build quality and cost short cuts of any other H-9 ARF in the sport class. It is more robust than most newer 3D type ARFs. Unlike many of the current batch of RC ARF's- the landing gear mounts are quite strong and won't fold under at the first grass runway imperfection. In my opinion, H 9 trageted this model DIRECTLY BETWEEN THE EYES of RC pilots with past experience in C/L. Further, I believe they hit the bulls eye, dead center. Think Eagle, Kadet, Avistar, P-51/F-22 trainer kits. This PT-19 is the C/L equivalent of those models.

* This plane is built like any sport RC ARF.
* The motor and tank (with muffler pressure) are the same as any normal gas ARF.
* H 9 recommends any 5% to 15% RC fuel already in every RC field box... no need for any exotic high castor brews. Just set the needle to run richer than you normally would (the instructions say 9,500 RPM with a 10X6 prop).
* Everything the RC pilot needs for C/L is in the box- to include a handle, control lines, connection clips- plus the normal H 9 ARF stuff like wheels, tank and motor mounting hardware. If the price of the ARF seems higher than an equivalent RC ARF, this is why. The RC modeler will need to buy nothing else that he doesn't already have to fly this plane.
* If you have a .35 to .40 size RC engine sitting around, you can even use that. Install a small control rod to lock the throttle open or take the servo arm off the carb's barrel and replace it with a rubber and metal washer installed using the same screw (with barrel fully open).
* The plane is pretty much rock steady and easy to keep going in circles due to the design and the very conservative cg the directions recommend.
* Speaking of the directions, they are not cluttered up with pages of possible manuevers or adjustments to various components or tank plumbing options. They simply target getting the plane built and in the air- like most RC sport ARFs.
* The model comes with a VERY SMALL tank that only allows about 3.5 minutes of run time (maybe 2.5 minutes after you walk out to the handle and shake out the jitters). This, so the new or re-newing C/L pilot has less chance to get dizzy. (HINT: Focus your vision only on the plane to reduce the dizz.)
* C/L planes were the original Park Flyers ! And, they still are. All their pictures show the team flying in a small grass lot in or near neighborhoods.

That's it. The experienced RC pilot can truly buy this model today, build it tonight and have it flying tomorrow.

This is not the plane for a polished Advanced/Expert C/L flyer to perfect their skills. That would be like an RC Pattern pilot perfecting their 3 roll, rolling circle with a Sig Kadet. Each model has its place.

That said, even an RC trainer can be adjusted to fly many types of manuevers. I suspect this PT-19 will also have such adjustments. Adding a few more RPM to the engine (to maybe 9800 or 10,000 RPM), experimenting with props and moving the VERY conservative CG rearward will allow this trainer to show a bit of its War Bird heritage. Just don't expect to go out and win a C/L contest with it. IMPORTANT- moving the adjustable leadouts to always be about an inch to 1.5 inches BEHIND the plane's CG will help keep the thing from joining the flyer in in the middle of the circle. [X(]

When many of us RC junkies were kids, we flew Cox PT-19's or stick and balsa ships with McCoy or Fox engines. Our expectations were quite low. If we could get the PT-19 to run out a tank of fuel without covering the field with rubber bands and plastic parts it was a good day. If we could get those larger engines to hand start, fly a few loops, maybe an inverted lap or 2 and if we were wild and brave, attemp a few lazy 8's (all without re-kitting the thing or getting coated in castor oil) it was a GREAT DAY !

This H 9 PT-19 will blow all those quite limited expectations away. Today we have an entire industry of RC stuff to get us into their quickly. Use all that same stuff on this PT-19. Then do all the things you remember from the past. 2009 may not be the Golden Ara of C/L flying. But, it can be the year many RC flyers rediscover the tactil feel of flying a model airplane... and finally learn how to get through 3 loops in a row. And, all that with an ARF and an electric starter !!

I am certainly NOT a C/L Guru. I have stayed in touch with this phase of modeling and have flown a couple times a year. Then, about a year ago the itch came back. I wish this PT-19 model had been then (as does my oft repaired 35 year old Ringmaster and my defunct Tutor II in the land fill).

Side Note: Horizon modified the little EVO engine with more than just a venturi. It has a modified sleeve with port timing more in line with the lower and richer type of runs a C/L engine uses. I have a lot of history with EVO engines, so used a Thunder Tiger GP .42. But others have posted that this is a reliable, consistantly running engine. (It doesn't need to idle or transition between throttle settings either.)[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60838.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1099604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74940.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1099605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15743.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1099606  
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

sepierce, outstanding pics!!!! I especially like that last one with the h9 AND Cox rendition. I started flying CL when I was 7 (a long LONG time ago) and also still have my original pt19 - still flying. Nice to see that I'm not alone, others still have theirs too.

Of course, I'm still flying CL (I like my old Southwick Skylarks ((3 of them)), my Thunderbird and P82 Twin-Mustang that I built from 2 TF kits over 30 years ago best) but I also got into RC several decades ago too. Never having turned into what I'd call a GREAT RC flier, I fly my 1974-built CG Sr. Falcon, Scale-Lines Great Lakes 2T1A biplane and GP Cub-40 (all kits) the most, but that old Cox plane will always have a place in my heart and the flying field.

That new h9 pt19 might also find a place at the field real soon - looks interesting.

Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 AM

A little more flight data and pictures. [8D]

This model is ideal for the RC flyer who used to fly control line or would like to try it. The plane built like a H 9 RC ARF and requires only the fuel and other items the RC pilot already has. I added "Picture Pilots" as I think open cockpits without pilots make the plane look nude. I also have pictures of a simple modification to the existing rear wheel to accomodate both remote stooge and normal assisted take offs.

And, the plane is tough! I did a bit of farming when the wind made a 180 degree change during an upline in a square 8. The plane tried to join me in the center of the circle. I was able to get enough line tension/control to mitigate the situation into a 30 degree divot. That's where I ran out of talent, airspace and luck at the same time. The minor damage to the fuse and wing are already fixed and the plane is ready to go. If a Twist/Funtana (or similar RC ARF) hit the deck like this, it would have been a bag case full of tooth pick sized balsa shards.

I suspect that some RC clubs are already figuring out where to put a C/L circle, if they have not already done so.

Name:	Mk24847.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1104666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76555.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1104667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88160.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1104668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41256.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1104669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59057.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1104670  
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM

I'm no fan of ARFs, but for those who don't want to build, Pete did a nice job of bringing this one to the marketplace. I did buy one of their Evo .36 C/L engines, and am very happy with it, given a few minor mods. As evidenced by this crash report, the nose on the PT 19 is much better built than the TF Fright Streak. There are many other details done much better than the competition on this one as well. A tip o' the hat to Hanger 9 and Saito for their recent C/L contributions.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Follow this link for a comprehensive review of my construction, flying and destruction of the PT-19.

http://hangarflying.proboards.com/in...ay&thread=2880
Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (11)

As a first timer in Control Line, I have nothing to base this on, but it has been pretty fun so far learning to fly control line using this airplane. I am a very experienced RC pilot. First time out I had an experienced CL flier fly it for me, then I slipped in and took the handle. After about a minute I had to give it back because I was so dizzy I had to fall down, it went like that for the first 3 flights. By the 4th flight I flew the whole flight myself and was ready to call it a day. Next day went and flew it some more. I am now at the stage where I have a couple of inside loops under my belt. Since then the weather has been crappy, and I can't wait to get out and fly it some more. Like mentioned up above, here in Kansas City, CL is becoming more and more popular with the RC fliers as some of them are returning to the roots, and others like me look at it as a fun challenge to do. So in a nutshell, I think the Hangar 9 PT 19 with Evo 36 seems to be a lot of fun for me-no complaints.

Duane
12v
Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Duane,

Congrats on finding out that C/L can really be rewarding.

Now that you have your inside loops down, the next thing to get up your nerve to try are lazy 8's. Think of these as the C/L version of the Cuban 8 (there are no rolls inside the C/L circle). Thus, when you get a little dizzy, you can stand in one place and clear the cobwebs while the plane executes one or more lazy 8's- amazing your RC friends with something that looks hard... but really isn't.

Of course, the first portion (on the left) is up elevator until you are on something like a 30-45 degree downline, then DOWN elevator to complete the right side of the maneuver to a 30-45 degree downline, and so on. Start the manuever just past the exact downwind point of your circle. (KEEP SAYING TO YOURSELF WHENEVER INVERTED, "DOWN IS UP, DOWN IS UP".)

In C/L there is no such thing as 2-3 minstakes high, so start a little higher than normal flight (like around 15-20ft) to give you a little cushion. Don't worry if the outside loops on the right are a bit smaller than the inside loops on the left. The beginner pucker factor will have you apply more DOWN the first few times you try it. The only dangers are to way over-apply the down or hold the down too long and perform the dreaded figure nine into the dirt.

Once practiced at this, then you can bring manuever into the correct flight envelope of starting altitude of about 6ft and a top where your lines will go out at about 45 degrees above the horizon and perfect the 45 degree downline. Then, you can also learn the correct C/L way to do horizontal 8's. But for now, just work the lazy 8's and let the precision stuff come as you get more comfortable. You have the crawl down, work on the walk before you tackle the run.

Also, if you have not already done so, go back to your RC ship and do Cuban 8's with no rolls. Try to perfect two equal sides centered directly in front of you. Its a great way to practice equally controling inside and outside manuevers in RC, as well as in C/L.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Dizziness mitigation:

Don't pivot in place, walk a circle
Don't stare directly at the plane, use peripheral vision.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Steve

Yes I have been running that through my mind, and moving my wrist up and down as I mentally follow the airplane through the figure eights. Just waiting on the weather to cooperate, its been so long now I will probably still fight the dizziness.

Control line is definitely catching on here, the last nice weekend we had, there was probably 10-12 CL planes at the field. I will let you know how the 8' go.

Duane
12v
Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 PM

10-12 planes in one place at one time... that's great. A few weeks ago we had three pilots, 5 planes and about a doz flights. I thought that was great for Little Rock. []
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Duane,

First, WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD OF C/L!!!!!

I've been kinda following the thread and didn't have a whole lot to add that might be useful until now.

You're starting to get into aerobatics now, and a bit of EXPERIENCED (I hate saying "old fart") advice might be in order to help save one of your planes. Years ago (no, read that "decades ago") when I first learned CL aerobatics I was given a great way to NOT crash a plane when inverted, and you don't have to think the "up/down down/up" thing. The plane has a top and bottom, and I sometimes think of it that way, BUT the best way I've ever learned to fly and NOT break a plane is actually a simple turn of the wrist.

I'm going to assume you're right-handed. As you bring your plane over to inverted, simply follow it with your arm and turn your wrist/handle from vertical to horizontal, palm UP! If you get any kind of nervous/confused/disoriented while your plane is inverted, STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE. DON'T MOVE!!! The plane will go past your arm which will pull on the "bottom/down" line, which will send the plane back over the top and into the upright position.

If you're left-handed (like I am), your palm is down when you bring your wrist/handle horizontal for inverted flight. Same effect.

Anyway, might help.

(Pics below are some of the planes I'm still flying - a couple are nearly 40 years old)

Dave

Name:	Pl32206.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1174840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66247.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1174841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64475.jpg
Views:	94