Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

cox gone?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cox gone?

Hi,

Went to the cox website and there is nothing there for sale anymore, are they gone, out of business?

Thanks

Eddie
Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cox gone?

They sold everything including remaining tooling to a guy in Canada. Right now he is mostly selling thru ebay. Some tooling was sold to CS engines in China several years ago. There seems to be a good stock of items that Cox had in a warehouse available now. Even items that Cox did not attempt to sell over the last couple of years. Estes has totally gotten out of the larger model airplane business. I may stock up on things.
Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM

wow, I am glad i picked up a few of those sure starts before they were gone. Its a shame.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM

The Cox products are not gone... Estes sold half a million dollars in inventory they had been holding and it is now available again on the market. Prices are not bad at all for a wider variety of engines than Cox had available for many years. In a few years they may be gone.... or then again it could be back in production... this time in Canada.
Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM

All the ramaining parts including tool and die I believe were bought by a couple in British Columbia Canada. They are very friendly and sell for a fair price.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM

anyone have a link?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:05 AM

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

Hi,

Went to the cox website and there is nothing there for sale anymore, are they gone, out of business?

Thanks

Eddie

Long time gone my man. Auction sites are the only places you you are going to find anything. I would hurry. There are lots of choices in parts and old models now but I'm sure things will dry up soon and prices will go out of sight. A handful of people bought large lots of the stuff from the Cox site a couple of years ago. I would stay completely away from any Cox engines with die cast crankcases. The were an experiment by Estes to reduce production cost but they bombed in the quality control department and they aren't nearly as strong as the traditional crankcases machined from aluminum billet. The Cox/Estes "Sure Start" engines are very hit or miss in quality. If you are going to play in that arena visit the Davis Diesel website and get yourself a connecting rod seating tool because nearly all of the newer Cox engines are very loose in the area of small end con rod to piston fit. To make a newer "Sure Start" work well it will require a-lot of T.L.C on your part. If you just want to collect and have "Hanger Queens" any ol' engine will do.

Don'r wait too long to look for that Cox engine/airplane/car boat you have always wanted. Run, don't walk.

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: icerinkdad

The Cox products are not gone... Estes sold half a million dollars in inventory they had been holding and it is now available again on the market. Prices are not bad at all for a wider variety of engines than Cox had available for many years. In a few years they may be gone.... or then again it could be back in production... this time in Canada.
Bob

If one of your sources [email protected] I can highly recommend them. They are honest, reliable and know a great deal about Cox engines. They are based in Canada.

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 AM
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Hi,

Thanks

Eddie

Long time gone my man. Auction sites are the only places you you are going to find anything. I would hurry. There are lots of choices in parts and old models now but I'm sure things will dry up soon and prices will go out of sight. A handful of people bought large lots of the stuff from the Cox site a couple of years ago. I would stay completely away from any Cox engines with die cast crankcases. The were an experiment by Estes to reduce production cost but they bombed in the quality control department and they aren't nearly as strong as the traditional crankcases machined from aluminum billet. The Cox/Estes "Sure Start" engines are very hit or miss in quality. If you are going to play in that arena visit the Davis Diesel website and get yourself a connecting rod seating tool because nearly all of the newer Cox engines are very loose in the area of small end con rod to piston fit. To make a newer "Sure Start" work well it will require a-lot of T.L.C on your part. If you just want to collect and have "Hanger Queens" any ol' engine will do.

Don'r wait too long to look for that Cox engine/airplane/car boat you have always wanted. Run, don't walk.

Bill
I'm not blaming China, but look you guys how about supporting whats left being made here in the states, you know, Du-Bro, Sullivan, Robart, etc
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: NEW222

All the ramaining parts including tool and die I believe were bought by a couple in British Columbia Canada. They are very friendly and sell for a fair price.
I second that. I have been involved with LeRoy Cox products all my life but based upon recent experience with the Cox/Estes sure starts I have moved on. I love the Curtiss Pusher and Extra 300S I have hanging from my ceiling but my collection stops there. I probably wouldn't be posting here were it not for Thimble Drome/Cox products. Sweet memories though.

Bill

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: airega1

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Hi,

Thanks

Eddie

Bill
I'm not blaming China, but look you guys how about supporting whats left being made here in the states, you know, Du-Bro, Sullivan, Robart, etc

I do. Add to that Sig, Great Planes, and Brodak. Isn't Robart a German firm. All this interest in Cox products is a result of old farts like myself reliving our childhoods. Many of us wouldn't be in this hobby today were it not for the magic of the Cox .049. The Estes engines are, in my opinion, junk. I am fortunate enough to own two, made in the U.S.A., LeRoy Cox .049s. The Estes engines have moved me on to purchase six Enyas of various displacements during the past 12 months.

Keep em' flyin'.

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

i have the control line texan and the p-49 i think its called. I want to have my kids give them a whirl this summer/spring. Now I may just hang them up and get something else. I picked up a coast guard heli too with those 2 sure starts.

I started in the 70's when i was a kid with the cox warplane, the chrome one, dont remember the name and the car, both are history but wish i still had them, they are going for bucks on ebay.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ya, if you want the memories, build your kids some Skyray 049's from SIG and let them bash them up. They fly better anyways. Then when they get good, get your pictures of them flying Cox Memorabilia. Theres plenty of fun time to have with the kids in the future with CL if they really want to do it.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM

We run the cars, trucks, rc planes and heli's. I would like them to try the control line, thats really how i got started in the hobby over 30 years ago.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM

i have the control line texan and the p-49 i think its called. I want to have my kids give them a whirl this summer/spring. Now I may just hang them up and get something else. I picked up a coast guard heli too with those 2 sure starts.

I started in the 70's when i was a kid with the cox warplane, the chrome one, dont remember the name and the car, both are history but wish i still had them, they are going for bucks on ebay.

Unless your planes are mint and collector's quality I wouldn't be afraid to fly them. I think your p-49 is a P-39 Bell Air Cobra. If there is an engine air scoop and exhaust headers behind the cockpit it's a P-39. I have plans for an very neat little control line plane that you could probably build for less than $20.00 and inside of two or three hours if you want them. They are on a PDF file on my computer but for some reason I can't upload them here. PM me if you want them.

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM

the texan is out of the box but never flown, the p-39 is a dark blue navy ww2 plane, used but in nice shape. its the same one from babablacksheep (remember that show, lol). I will pm you for sure for those plans.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Both the Corsair (the bent wing bird) and Texan are worth more on Ebay than makes sense. The Corsair in good condition would probably buy you several new engines and enough wood for a half dozen built up models if you were to sell it. For a lot of inexpensive fun look up the manwin trainer and the platter using google. The manwin is made from recycled plastic sign material (looks like corogated cardboard but in plastic) and the platter is made from foam core board. Both are good trainers that work well with a variety of engines.
Bob
Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM

Hey, you've got an F4U Corsair and they are considered pretty desireable on the open market. One of my favorite Cox planes. I would also like to get one of the PT-19 trainers held together with rubber bands so it will take a-lot of crash abuse. It's a good flyer also. Some of the Cox planes flew like plastic bricks.

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

i had the stealth plane, that didnt fly also the pt-19, yellow and blue, dont know where they are now but that pt flew a million times. I also have a hexadome with a norvel .061, havent flew that yet but was hoping it would have a little more than the .049 cox models.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

I never had a Norvel but I hear they are a powerful little engine. It may be a preferable engine to the Cox and I know that a good many Cox installations were replaced with the Norvel. I might have read that it's a-bit difficult to get parts for the Norvel but I can't confirm that.

Bill
Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM

it is pretty easy to find cox parts, but it is also among the easiest engines to custom fabricate and modify parts for.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrovulcnse

it is pretty easy to find cox parts, but it is also among the easiest engines to custom fabricate and modify parts for.
I was referring to the Norvel about parts. Hasn't Norvel ceased production?

Bill
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM
My Feedback: (10)

We would like to thank "Icerinkdad", New222" and "Ram Jet" for their kind words.

Yes, we basically bought up the remaining Cox inventory and will do our best to provide the community with excellent service. We have over 35,000 Cox engines in stock and do really need your help to get rid of the huge pile

We will also be manufacturing carb bodies, tanks, high compression glow heads, wrenches, spinners, gaskets, glow head shims, needles, etc, etc in the near future.

Our store is located @ http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/XENALOOK and if you email us directly at [email protected] and mention this RCU post, 10% discount is all yours

Cheers
Bernie and Xena
Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: xenalook

We would like to thank "Icerinkdad", New222" and "Ram Jet" for their kind words.

Yes, we basically bought up the remaining Cox inventory and will do our best to provide the community with excellent service. We have over 35,000 Cox engines in stock and do really need your help to get rid of the huge pile

We will also be manufacturing carb bodies, tanks, high compression glow heads, wrenches, spinners, gaskets, glow head shims, needles, etc, etc in the near future.

Our store is located @ http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/XENALOOK and if you email us directly at [email protected] and mention this RCU post, 10% discount is all yours

Cheers
Bernie and Xena

Hey, all of you guys that have an interest in the old Cox cars need to get ahold of the guy making the new cars. I believe these folks have all of the original tooling for the engines and may be able to produce engines for the new cars, or maybe will be able to in the future. I have nothing to do with these folks personally but I have purchased engines and parts from them and they are super people to do business with. Bernie is very knowledgeable about Cox engines.

Bill
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM

I have nothing to do with these folks personally but I have purchased engines and parts from them and they are super people to do business with.
Ditto!

Bought a pack of 5 Suretstars in January, sent in two packages. One got returned as "unclaimed" by the postal service (yeah, right) and Bernie promptly sent me the 3 missing engines again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.