Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Sterling Flying Fool

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM
frankolin42
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Flying Fool

I have almost finished drafting a complete Sterling S-12 Flying Fool Control Line Airplane for anyone interested in the old classic. I will copy the plans to CD. The original kit only has an assembly page I have drawn out all the parts, for easy reference. I sell the CD for a small fee including shipping.https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw[img][/img]
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Flying Fool

I just sold my Flying Fool kit. I should have coppied the plans.

Do you have full size plans?

The Flying Fool is a great CL model, but I wish it was a tad larger. I built that model as a youngster. Now I'm an oldster.

Charles
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (12-05-2023)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM
frankolin42

Hi Charles, if you remember the Flying Fool Kit, only came with an assembly blueprint, so you could build it from your kit , following the instructions, but there wasn't drawings of the bulkheads, or ribs, and the flying fool had flat wall balsa construction, and the rudder elevator, and stabs weren't drawn out. I have sketched out each individual part onto two separate plans, so you can scratch cut all the pieces to build the actual size Flying Fool. I should have the CD from the print shop within a week or so, I will sell the CD for $20.00 that also covers your shipping cost standard rate USPS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12935.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1458758  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
frankolin42

I'm sorry Charles I should have remembered your letter better, I just want to remind you, that by putting the Flying Fool blueprints onto CD as opposed to rolled plans, It not only cuts down on shipping costs, but when you take the CD to your local prints shop, they can blow plans up as large as you wish. I myself may build a larger version and convert it to Radio Control.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74861.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1458760  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 PM
cutaway

Better to start from plans than with a kit anyway. The 2 FF kits I have featured worthless plywood (you have to replace ALL the plywood) and atrocious die crushing that often off by as much as 1/8". Making all that garbage fit properly is far more work than starting from scratch.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
frankolin42

[&o]most of the bulkhead parts in my kit were broken and needed re gluing
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Kiwi

ORIGINAL: frankolin42

I have almost finished drafting a complete Sterling S-12 Flying Fool Control Line Airplane for anyone interested in the old classic. I will copy the plans to CD. The original kit only has an assembly page I have drawn out all the parts, for easy reference. I sell the CD for a small fee including shipping.https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw[img][/img]
You would be doing the modelling public a giant sized service if you would add a detailed outline for overhauling the attachment of the top wing, particularly the fuselage end of the center pylon, which was notoriously extremely compromised.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:18 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I don’t recall all those problems with the die smash parts. But my kit I built was a first run production. Pretty sure of that. My second kit I never built. And still have it. Pretty sure it was one of the last Sterling built. Pat Treedle makes a larger version. I bought that kit after seeing another member fly one it was powered with a OS 50 and really was impressive. The Fool is an attractive bi plane. My first build was in 1968, it was powered with a Fox Stunt 35. I was adjusting my control handle used stainless cables. I think 14s and 58 foot lines. I have always been told to measure your lines from the bell crank to where you grip the handle. Now we teather on your wrist the down side,back then we did not do that. I’ve been out of U Control,but I have several of my planes still and want to try it again. If you fly you crash that’s a fact. But it was fun building and fun flying. I still have my hard point handle. And my old Sig Lines. 55,58,64, measured. I used the copper rap method with thimbles and coated the finished line with ambroad glue. Still looks good no rust at all. I remember I lost my top wing, the lead outs were routed thru the left strut. If I remember when the top wing came off I was trying to do a figure 8. And the left strut went with the top wing. That pretty much was the end of the Fool. I think if the lead out left strut had stayed with the model I could have saved it. AJ
Old 01-13-2024, 05:59 PM
AJ Sun

This was sure an old post about the Sterling Flying Fool. This Winter I’ve been building a Super Ringmaster. But my thoughts keep going to the Flying Fool. It was the only By Plane I built in U Control. In RC I built the RC Stearman. It was a heavy plane and dropped like a rock when it lost power. I needed to thin my Hurd so I sold it to a bar in Fort Worth Texas. My Flying Fool I built in 68 was under power with a Fox 19. It went line slacking every time I flew it. I had my old Fox Stunt 35 and it flew a lot better even in a small wind. It was a major cutting job to install the 35 went all the way and installed new mounting rails. The nose was really narrow. That Fox Stunt 35 filled it up, but looked nice with the two inch aluminum spinner. Ended up buying another Fox Stunt 35. My S1 Ringmaster looked terrible motor less. My Top Flight Magician got all the repairs done. Tough little plane. AJ

Dang I forgot a couple years ago I ordered a BiSlob from Brodak, really my very first laser cut kit, it was great. So I was wrong about building only one Bi plane. I’ve built two. My Bislob has a Fox Stunt 35. Just did a shorter line to fifty four.AJ

Last edited by AJ Sun; 01-14-2024 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Bi Slob
Old 01-14-2024, 02:16 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ Sun
This was sure an old post about the Sterling Flying Fool. This Winter I’ve been building a Super Ringmaster. But my thoughts keep going to the Flying Fool. It was the only By Plane I built in U Control. In RC I built the RC Stearman. It was a heavy plane and dropped like a rock when it lost power. I needed to thin my Hurd so I sold it to a bar in Fort Worth Texas. My Flying Fool I built in 68 was under power with a Fox 19. It went line slacking every time I flew it. I had my old Fox Stunt 35 and it flew a lot better even in a small wind. It was a major cutting job to install the 35 went all the way and installed new mounting rails. The nose was really narrow. That Fox Stunt 35 filled it up, but looked nice with the two inch aluminum spinner. Ended up buying another Fox Stunt 35. My S1 Ringmaster looked terrible motor less. My Top Flight Magician got all the repairs done. Tough little plane. AJ

The plan is now available free for download on Outerzone.

AJ Sun (01-28-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 05:03 AM
AJ Sun

Hi Quizmo thank you for that info. I still have the plan from my old 68 build. Including the Box it originally came in. I was in the Army at the time. That plane in your post had a few changes. The struts. And the bellcrank lead outs. That engine looks like maybe a 40 or 50? I had my parts traced..learned that when I was younger. Mostly for repairs. But I wanted to build a larger flying Fool. I found another guy thru Brodak, that offered a 50 powered Flying Fool. Pat was his first name. Don't recall the last. With what I wanted to do and the cost of Pat's full kit it was a no Brainer. Don't know what happened but UPS opened the double box. It came in and according to Pat's plan..a few parts came up.missing. UPS truck was involved in a accident. UPS did cover the damages. And I was able to salvage what was missing. I am about finished with my Super Ringmaster. I have a UC OS 50. I might start building the wings on the Flying Fool. Probably be a two winter project.AJ.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:13 AM
AJ Sun

No fool like an old fool that thinks about a Flying fool. I’ve never used the several different heat shrink cover material. It’s become really popular​​​​​ and many suppliers have several different brands. In my old ways I’ve used Silk to cover all my wings. Even in RC. Which I put up about two years ago. Took my RC stuff to a swap meet and never sold anything. I had nothing in electric, and that’s what was selling. So it goes in 24, and the times are a changing! Often wonder if guys are having any buyers on the old kits like the Flying fool, S-1 Ringmaster, or the Super Ringmaster? AJ.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:01 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a new in the box Flying Fool that I hope to build one day. When I was in my late teens I saw several fly, and always wanted one. I want to power mine with an OS LA .25. The OS is comparable in power and weight to the Fox .29/35's and has a muffler.
AJ Sun (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:20 AM
AJ Sun

Hello Mr Doe, that’s great, I say Build it. If your kit is original, I plan On building the Larger version. OS 50 UC engine. I flew my Flying Fool four about five years. Do a simple strut mod and beef up that area where the struts attach at six points. I am sure you have Hurd the stories about the top wing. Just so much larger than the bottom wing. I’ve been using a Toung muffler on all my planes, a guy builds them In Georgia. Going to order one for my OS 50. AJ
Old 02-15-2024, 03:06 PM
AJ Sun

Hi Greg Doe, you started that fool yet? I thought I would tell you about the Ringmaster FlyOThon. On the first weekend in October2024. I’ve always had a Ringmaster and learned U Control on the S-1. If you got a Ringmaster,or it’s easy to build,and join in on the fun! AJ
Old 02-16-2024, 03:11 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

AJ, In answer to your question I haven't started on my Flying Fool yet, and it probably will be a while, as I have several projects to finish before I get into nostalgic projects.
Matt Kania designed the Super Clown while he was working for PDQ Products Co. (in Millville, New Jersey). The Super Clown was so successful that Sterling highered Matt away from PDQ to design a similar model which became the Ringmaster. So while the Ringmaster was far more popular then the Super Clown, the Ringmaster is actually a "clone" of the Super Clown. The Supper Clown has been accepted as recognised model to fly in the Fly-O-Thon, and I have flown mine numerous times in the for the Fly-O-Thon, both here in Tennessee, and in North Carolina.
AJ Sun (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 02:49 AM
AJ Sun

Hey Greg that’s great, Never built or flew a Super Clown. I was thinking it has Flaps unlike the S-1 Ringmaster. Never knew it was a clone off the Clown. Tho they do look a little like the same design. Sounds like your are up to speed on the October FlyOthon. I wanted to fly in the 2023 Brotherhood but I was recovering my S-1 only had a majestic. That was ready to fly. Been working on a few other projects, about the Flyohthon I really think you could fly just about anything. And I think a lot of guys do. AJ