Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Ducted Fan Jet CL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ducted Fan Jet CL?

Anyone flying a ducted fan jet on wires?

I'm asking because I'm converting my R/C stuff to CL.

Actually running out of the mind set it takes to set up R/C models. I'm old, tired and lazy. Running out of money also.
CL is my answer! Did it before, do it again!

Charles
Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ducted Fan Jet CL?

Ducted fan is old hat. One guy flew a turbine on C/L. Of course he only needed to go a little above idle to achieve what he needed . Any more and it would have been insane.
Dennis
Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Avaiojet

Ducted fan is old hat.
Dennis,

Why would you think DF is "old hat?"

New and improved fans are still in the marketplace and R&D takes place every day to improve them.

By my standards, today's quality fans are expensive, but certainly less than the Turbine investment. Much safer also and less to know!

Charles
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
xby-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a couple that were glow powered. One was at the NATS, Model was a U-2. I think some of the new ARF Fans would be neat to convert to CL.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie Bauer has a CL U-2 with turbine. I've seen him run the engine but have never seen it fly.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Avaiojet

I have a scratch built model of the C-101 Avio Jet, which I designed and framed many years ago, over 20, for R/C.

Originally set up for a Rossi .60 FIRE. Prop was in the nose.

I actually had a Post on RCU which delt with the removal of the Rossi and a rebuild of the nose to scale apearance. At that time I was thinking Turbine or DF for R/C.

Turbine was out because of the "thinking" and the $$$. R/C is out also because I'm exiting R/C.

It's a great model and I don't want to sell or trash it. I was doing a bit of research on DF systems.

For CL, my guess is the model can be shy some power and still work in CL?

Be nice to see what's flying with jets on wires? I'm thinking 70'.

Here's the model with the nose changes from the removal of the Rossi.

CL is great because I don't have to deal with retracts, not to mention a bunch of other stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81676.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1457815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97359.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1457816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63832.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1457817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92213.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1457818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43501.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1457819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76766.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1457820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln99991.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1457821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp54473.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1457822  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20541.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1457823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qd31564.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1457824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di46268.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1457825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa13981.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1457826  
Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
ChopperMike

Why would you think DF is "old hat?"
I'm puzzled myself by that statement. Electric DF especially is state of the art these days.

Actually running out of the mind set it takes to set up R/C models. I'm old, tired and lazy. Running out of money also.
I'm confused by this as well. Is the cost issue due to a problem with your RC gear? Because the cost of a C/L kit isn't much if any cheaper than an RC kit. My Brodak Flite Streak kit cost me $60. The Brodak Baby Flite Streak was over $30 IIRC.

I got back into C/L because I wanted to re-live the old days back in the late 60's/early 70's. If I were lazy I wouldn't have flown the FS last Saturday. I spent an hour just setting up my circle and hauling all the gear out to the far corner of the RC field. I could have flown 5 or 6 flights in the time it took me to set up and fly 3 flights on the FS.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that for me at least it's a labor of love, RC is much less hassle. Especially since I fly almost exclusively electric. And even my 1/3 scale Spacewalker is less setup than C/L. As much as I enjoy flying C/L again it'll never replace RC.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your workmanship shows in the pictures.

I would bet the electric ducted fans that're in a number of RTF and ARF RC birds available today would work ok for CL. I'm not sure they'd work very good if the weight of the model was more toward what scale models weigh versus what sport weights are.

I was looking at the fan package that goes into my Multiplex jet ARF the other night wondering how it'd do in a Mig or Sabre CL. It's the right size and the electric setup is easily within reach nowadays. And I never wanted to deal with glow ducted fan.

A couple of places have EDF packages that are affordable. Heck, cheaper than just the glow engine for a DF setup. And the electrics are close to being turnkey and reliable without any tuning. Something to study anyway.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Kiwi

I would not have used the same term to describe the application of ducted fan power to other disciplines besides RC. As long as the ducted fan power systems have been used for any models, they have also been used in both CL and FF models, going back 40 years at least. It is a tried and true option for powering "jet" models.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Avaiojet

Last I looked, CL models, at their simplest, only had one moving control surface.

No Radio, no TX, no servos, no battery and none of the required charging gear to go with it.

A handle, you could use a stick, wires, power, and your good to go.

No offense was to be taken because I said CL is a lot less "everything" than what's needed in R/C. It's just the way it is.

My CL days go back to the early 60's. Yes, I progressed to flying the complete pattern and the prestigious lawn dot maneuver. Generally exicuted somehow starting out inverted with the sun and wind in your face. Certainly slacked lines ad to the success of this maneuver.

Even designed my own CL models.

Here's a photo of a modified Aries I built in 1962. Silk n dope. Just about ready for paint. That's not me in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28746.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1457889  
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Last I looked, CL models, at their simplest, only had one moving control surface.

No Radio, no TX, no servos, no battery and none of the required charging gear to go with it.

A handle, you could use a stick, wires, power, and your good to go.

No offense was to be taken because I said CL is a lot less ''everything'' than what's needed in R/C. It's just the way it is.

My CL days go back to the early 60's. Yes, I progressed to flying the complete pattern and the prestigious lawn dot maneuver. Generally exicuted somehow starting out inverted with the sun and wind in your face. Certainly slacked lines ad to the success of this maneuver.

Even designed my own CL models.

Someone must have liked either Steve wooleys'Cobra or the La Donna or both of them because the twin boom tail is La Donna and the rudders are pure cobra and Jack sheeks pirated them for his La donna.
Just that the la Donna wasn't published till 64 is F.M.

Here's a photo of a modified Aries I built in 1962. Silk n dope. Just about ready for paint. That's not me in the photo.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Avaiojet

Dennis,

As I said, I built that model in 1962. It is what it is, a modified Aries. Aries wing with a straght trailing edge. I was influniced by no other design. In 1962 I was 16 years old.

I actually have parts of another that isn't assembled.

Maybe I'll gather them up and get a photo.

Charles