RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Registration for CL???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/11626881-registration-cl.html)

Liner 02-20-2016 04:11 PM

Registration for CL????

I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere but do CLs need to be Registered? They are UAS but some people say since it is tethered they don't??

mikeainia 02-20-2016 06:21 PM

The current interpretation from AMA (and mind you, this could change .... several times yet) is that control line models do NOT need to register, unless they use RC for throttle or some other feature. I have emails from FAA staffers who also say that control line models are NOT considered to be UAS and thus do not need to register. So given these two sources, I figured the prudent thing to do was to go ahead and register, which I did while it was still free. It took about 5 minutes and now it doesn't matter if we do or do not need to register. Now it costs $5. The MAIN reason I registered is because I intend to fly at the NATS again this year, and I don't want a last minute decision by AMA to REQUIRE registration in order to fly at contests or the NATS to bite me when I get there. If not for that, I would not give it a second thought -- there is no way for FAA to enforce registration on control line models since there is no way for them to detect when and where it is happening.

Liner 02-22-2016 09:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I guess for only $5 it would be worth doing regardless.

xby-1 02-23-2016 06:57 PM

Be glad you don't live in DC. We can't fly unless we leave town, period, registration or not. Not even CL!!!

vertical grimmace 02-25-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by xby-1 (Post 12181246)
Be glad you don't live in DC. We can't fly unless we leave town, period, registration or not. Not even CL!!!

Wow, that includes CL? That is terrible. Sorry. Talk about an over reactive Gov. I wonder what they are scared of?

xby-1 02-25-2016 11:47 AM

They are strictly focused on drones and they throw all models in the same box. Someone I know at the FAA said they consider the AMA quaint and amusing. Shows the FAA's attitude towards models and modelers

vertical grimmace 02-25-2016 01:14 PM

From what I understand, the FAA has a lot of turn over as well. So the AMA will or would negotiate something with someone, then the next group would not stick to the agreement. We have a guy in our club that is on the AMA committee regarding this issue. He is a professor at a local university. We talked about this at our last club meeting. He said he was very disappointed with how things have turned out. To include CL in all of this though, just goes to show you how asinine our Gov. can be, and dangerous as well.

Lou Crane 02-28-2016 02:34 PM

There is another problem...

If the FAA inspires any agency to enforce their often changed "policies," be sure that the latest details will not be available to the guy you will meet.

Attempts to explain our understanding of things to an Officer sent out to shut you down are likely to be taken as obstructing enforcement, and you may get to meet his desk sergeant.

Most recent word from AMA reps talking with FAA reps is that CL is not of interest to FAA airspace use. To a low level enforcer we'll probably sound as if we are claiming our models are not relevant because they are painted (or covered) a certain color. Reaction? Bovine Scatology!

It doesn't really help to criticize ourselves, enforcement agencies, AMA or whoever... That just spreads bitterness and resentment (even if definitely earned...) If we want to keep flying, I'd prefer to see more constructive, positive comment and conduct.

It's been the 'bad guys' flying large, heavy RC drones in dangerous and irresponsible ways that brought the situation up. I'd like to see those yahoos punished seriously, or am I now being bitter and divisive?

vertical grimmace 02-28-2016 04:34 PM

I put the blame more with electric multi rotor copters, flying beyond line of sight, with cameras. Then posting videos all over youtube to prove how cool they are by what they have done.

The AMA did not do themselves any favors by embracing these flying machines, and not creating a clear separation of what they do, and what we do. Now it seems we have to go back after the fact to try to educate the laymen of the difference.

As someone who has taken model aviation very seriously for a long time, I am now moving away from RC. It is losing it's appeal to me. And after getting my CL models out again, I have realized it is more fun. I in particularly love flying with guys that I consider my peers, as opposed to most that I meet at the RC clubs.

My interests are primarily competition, which in RC are rare. In CL almost everyone competes. THose are the folks I feel most comfortable around. In particular the combat guys. We just have too much fun!

With all of that being said, I am sure CL will not be bothered. But RC will be for sure. And it would not surprise me if RC is just shut down all together eventually.

dirtybird 02-28-2016 05:24 PM

I suspect there is a very sensitive radar system being installed in the DC area. Drones could be used to deliver a small bomb to the white house. For a radar designed to detect such items, hobby drones will be a confusion factor for such a system

jayseas 02-29-2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12183250)
I suspect there is a very sensitive radar system being installed in the DC area. Drones could be used to deliver a small bomb to the white house. For a radar designed to detect such items, hobby drones will be a confusion factor for such a system

By the time they detected a RC plane there would be little chance of stopping it.It is a little scary if you think about it how easy it would be to put a bomb on a rc plane and fly it into what ever.When will the towel heads figure that out?