Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Taking the 3-D challenge

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Taking the 3-D challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
3davenger-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the 3-D challenge

I have only soloed 3 times and that was a year ago. I haven't flown since and am about to jump head first into 3-D. My first solo was with out much help and did very well. I hope my first 3-D flight goes the same.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:32 AM
68zbuff
My Feedback: (1)

If you are set on 3d I would suggest that you set up your new plane with the control throws to a minimum and make sure your cg is more toward the front. I have been flying since 93 and these 3d planes are unforgiving. The responsiveness is unreal. I am just starting to do some 3d moves and find that you really need these things close to see what they are doing, so you don't have a whole lot of room for error. Glad to here you done well on your solo's, maybe you should practice a little more before jumping straight into 3d. Hope this gives you something to think about.
Best of luck,
Rj
Old 09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Sorry hate to burst your bubble, but there's no such thing as jumping head first into 3-D. You are going to end up planting your plane(s) head first in the ground.

NEVER do things that you aren't capable of doing. You can't very well do a rolling harrier if you can't even fly upside down comfortably. You have to master the basics first, without a foundation the house will ALWAYS crumble.

If you can fly your plane around, takeoff and land fine, then that's great and I'm happy for you not having flown for so long. But if you're dead set on it, then the first thing you will need to do if you're aiming to do 3-D work is practice slow and 4 point rolls in both directions, coming from both directions. This will get your coordination foundation set. ONLY after you have mastered this should you consider ANYTHING more advanced. Accurate rudder and throttle coordination is paramount to any form of aerobatics. After you're coordinated with slow rolls, 4+ point rolls, and rolling circles, you can move on to flat spins with changing direction mid-spin, then possibly harriers and TR's.

You'll be amazed how much more you can do if you have a foundation, instead of just taking off and flopping around/crashing your planes trying to TR on the deck. But if that's what you want to do go for it man. Just remember that when you're in a TR and the belly is facing you, put the rudder into the low wing!

Hope this helps. Be nice to you and your planes.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:45 PM
flytime56

well i agree 100 percent with Silvanskii. if you have only had a few solo's, there is no way that you should even think of going onto another airplane, or try new things.

you need to me able to fly that plane right now in all weather conditions and in all situations. you need to be able to do both left and right hand circuits, touch and go's, stalls, loops, rolls. i would say you need to fly that trainer a good year or two before jumping onto your next airplane.

that's one problem that i see too much of latly, sepecially with arf's being so readily available and the cost they are, people try to advance too fast. you need to know a plane before you go onto the next step, or garantee you will crash that plane.

I would even say that a 3d plane, you are looking at a 3rd plane, not even a secong airplane. you need to know next a low or medium wing plane, then after a tail dragger. they all behave very differently, and don't all fly the same.

you can't jump, if you do you'll come crashing to the ground

GB
Old 09-08-2003, 01:55 PM
EagleOne

Default RE: Taking the 3-D challenge

Hi,

Don't want to cause trouble, that's my opinion. If you don't have lots of experinece and yet want to try 3D flying......Build a cheap balsa fun-fly airplane or a SPAD. Even better if you go for the SPAD....That's the path I am following.......With the SPAD, it's so simple and cheap, that if it doesn't survives the crash (very hard to happen, but possible) you will take no longer than a few hours to build another one and spend little cash, if the radio and engine are still usable.....When you get proficient in these 3D manuevers then you can buy, or build a more expensive balsa 3D plane....

Just my 2 cents......
Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Taking the 3-D challenge

I know that some people learn faster than others, I fly with a guy who has only been flying Helipcopters for 9 months and he is awesome at them, He has also not been flying airplanes very much longer but he has a big 3-D monster that he can only fly at high altitude tumbling the whole time!!! looks impressive!! I asked him if it would Lomcevak and he had no idea what I was talking about!!! Then he is unable to land, in fact he dreads it!! yet when I was landing my sons Senior Kadett he was amazed at how smoothly I can fly and land... go figure. Point is, I agree with Slivanski and Flytime 56, what you need to do is fly your ass off with progressivly more challenging aircraft, get the basics down. Just enjoy the free feeling of flight, I fly everything from 1.20 size Jerrys Big Boy, Kaos 40, Uproar 40, Magic 3-D and Lately a SPA3D and QHOR. I love them all. Get a Sportster 40 or 60 they are great flyers! But if you want to get nuts go for the SPA3D!! to learn to Hover on. Have Fun and burn lots and lots of fuel, do lots of touch and goes too.

Good Luck and most of all have fun!