Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Land Gear Help

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Land Gear Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:49 AM
jjnj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Gear Help

Hello

I'm trying to know what is used in the landing gear between the piston, the spring and the struts, it seems to be a grease, but actually looks more like a glue, which helps in thundering more smoothly, the action of the landing gear .

Could you tell me what it is?

Last edited by jjnj; 08-30-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of different types and styles of landing gear out there. I would imagine a grease of some kind but what weight grease? Without at least a picture or make/model of plane it's hard to make a suggestion based on your description.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:23 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without seeing a pic of your gear, I can make an educated guess, that you are dealing with some sort of hydraulically dampened main strut. my knowledge of mechanical design tells me that this sort of damping usually uses an oil of some viscosity that gets forced past the piston to slow down and dampen the cycling. varying the viscosity of the oil used, adjusts the rate of cycle speed and amount dampening. light oil, faster cycle and less damping,....heavy oil, slower cycle and more damping. try different viscosities until you find the oil that gives the wanted shock absorption that doesn't allow bouncing, but the strut doesn't fully collapse on an abrupt bump. the all up weight of the pane will affect what oil viscosity is needed, as well. light plane light oil, heavy plane heavier oil. be watchful,....too heavy an oil will make the gear act as though it is a solid strut with no absorption at all.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 AM
udithag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a landing gear with a damper?