Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
How to patch Sig Koverall? >

How to patch Sig Koverall?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

How to patch Sig Koverall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to patch Sig Koverall?

I had a minor mishap with a plane I had covered with Sig Koverall, which then got a few coats of nitrate dope, then color coats of Klass Kote epoxy. A longeron got cracked and I had to cut some of the covering away to repair it, so now I have to patch the hole in the covering.. What I propose to do is give the area around the patch a few coats of nitrate dope, which I understand is OK on top of epoxy, then use more nitrate dope to attach a Koverall patch and fill the weave (some). Then use Klass Kote for the colors.

Is this OK? Or is there a better way? I usually use Sig Stix-It to attach Koverall to balsa, but I don't know if that would work on top of Klass Kote. There seem to be a lot of threads on applying Koverall, but I can't find much on patching.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Good question. Never thought of that and I've used a lot of Koverall. Lucky I guess!

Without any direct experience to back it up, I have two thoughts. First would be to scuff the area around the patch to help with adhesion. May not really be needed but better safe and all that.

Second thought is why use the dope? Isn't the paint an epoxy? If so, why can't you use some clear coat to "glue" the patch in place? Then finish off as usual.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:16 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I will scuff the paint. I figure I need dope to fill the weave of the Koverall some before applying the color coat. I've never tried Klass Kote over un-doped Koverall, but I wouldn't think it would be much of a filler. I suppose I could use a water-based filler.

The paint-compatability charts I've seen say nitrate dope over epoxy is OK, but I'd like confirmation from someone who has tried it.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Thanks for the suggestions. I will scuff the paint. I figure I need dope to fill the weave of the Koverall some before applying the color coat. I've never tried Klass Kote over un-doped Koverall, but I wouldn't think it would be much of a filler. I suppose I could use a water-based filler.

The paint-compatability charts I've seen say nitrate dope over epoxy is OK, but I'd like confirmation from someone who has tried it.
Agree with the need for confirmation. But another thought I had, what's the difference between epoxy finishing resin used for fiberglass layup and the epoxy paints? Color and thickness? Yet we use the resin to fill the fiberglass weave which typically is a much more open weave than the Koverall.

I'd be tempted to try an experiment. Make a simple box frame and put some Koverall over it. Then see how the Klass Kote does at filling it. Maybe even try several ones and maybe add a filler (Talc) to some clear and brush it on. Just thinking of options here.