Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Parkzone FW-190 Restoration - Advice Please!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Parkzone FW-190 Restoration - Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 06:11 AM
PZFW190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone FW-190 Restoration - Advice Please!

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some advice if anyone can help? I'm new to the forum and I haven't reached the 10 post limit to post a link to photographs so unfortunately this makes it a bit more difficult (so apologies straight away for the wordy post).

I'm looking to restore my Parkzone FW190, it's taken a battering from sitting in the loft for A LOT of years and at some point the tail has split off with some other damage. I've watched a Youtube video from HobbyKing (How to repair a crashed RC Foam Plane) and the process seems fairly straightforward, although wanted to ask what the best approach would be.

The tail seems to be a relatively clean spilt which may be an easy fix. But there's a hole from some missing foam on one side of the leading edge of the vertical stabiliser, doesn't seem to affect the strength of the structure though.

Also the elevator is a single piece that connects by two hinges. The elevator itself has spilt in half and come off at one hinge, so the half with the control horn is completely disconnected (if this makes sense?)

So I was wondering from this lengthy description, would anybody able to advise if this sounds salvageable?

I've charged the ancient battery and all systems still work, with all push rods moving and motor spinning up.

I'm looking at getting Gorrila Glue 60ml from Amazon for reattaching the tail as its expanding to fill in the gaps. But what could I fill the hole in the stabiliser with?

For the elevator I'm thinking of gluing where it spilt back together and reinforcing it somehow, but what could I use to connect that piece back to the hinge? Is this even possible? I've read that UHU Por glue allows some flexibility, but is that irrelevant for this case? Would something as simple a duct tape be strong enough to hold it in place?

Finally, probably a stupid question, but whatever took the tail off somehow sliced through the antenna wire (no idea how), essentially cutting it in half. How much will this affect the range of the plane?

Sorry again for the lengthy post, it would be much easier just showing the photos, especially with the elevator. Anyone know a way around the 10 post limit?

I'd really like to get this flying again. I will buy a new battery and charger if anyone thinks this is doable. What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-23-2024, 12:13 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You could probably fix any holes/areas with spare foam... MEAT TRAYs used to be great foam... or even use balsa ..Make sure to use non foam attacking glue.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:09 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PZFW190
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some advice if anyone can help? I'm new to the forum and I haven't reached the 10 post limit to post a link to photographs so unfortunately this makes it a bit more difficult (so apologies straight away for the wordy post).

I'm looking to restore my Parkzone FW190,.....................
I've charged the ancient battery and all systems still work, with all push rods moving and motor spinning up.......................

Finally, probably a stupid question, but whatever took the tail off somehow sliced through the antenna wire (no idea how), essentially cutting it in half. How much will this affect the range of the plane?

....................... Anyone know a way around the 10 post limit?

Thanks a lot!
Most things are repairable with enough creativity. Foam requires a little more creativity sometimes unless you can still purchase the parts. Packing tape can work wonders..
Be careful using gorilla glue. You can add a lot of weight to the tail in a hurry with that stuff...

You mentioned buying a battery don't forget transmitter battery... If you have a 72mhz radio, and that's original NiCAD battery, it's not going to hold enough charge to make a flight.
Again, if you have a 72mhz system and the receiver antenna is cut in half.... well, that is no good....
the only way around the 10 post rule is to make 10 post...
Old 03-14-2024, 10:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Brown paper glued over the foam makes a nice covering and adds strength, the main thing is don't get too much weight in the tail and rebalance the airplane when you are finished. A tail heavy plane is a certain crash!