Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

RCUNIVERSE Moderator Crashed Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

RCUNIVERSE Moderator Crashed Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCUNIVERSE Moderator Crashed Airplane

Actually, it was 2 weeks ago and I wrecked my wife's new trainer on my first flight of the season. How embarassing that I couldn't even fly a trainer. I made up for it by getting back on the "horse" and flying my super hots, Global .25 AT-6 Texan (this one hurts to fly since it is so unstable and fast), and one of my 1/2a scratch built jobs.

Don't know why the trainer crashed, I lost all controls 1 minute into the flight (battery checked out good, receiver also appears to be good). I first lost ailerons, no problem I began to fly with rudder alone, I then lost my elevator control, and finally rudder. She went in nose first into a plowed field.

Well, she's already rebuilt and believe it or not, I'm actually a little gun shy about testing this puppy out again. I never thought I'd admit to be afraid to fly a trainer, hahahhaha. Wish me luck....
Old 05-01-2002, 12:21 AM
hobbyplace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol

your wife must have had a good ol laugh

i know why you lost control of it
your reciver is too close to your servos causes interferance and shuts down

same thing happened to me when i was flying my tiger moth

it slamed into the ground so i laughed and went over to pick it up and the wing was broke prop was in 3 pices cowl was cracked
i took it home and put it all back together and have not flown it sence now i am flying my NEW GWS ZERO

GOOD LUCK SO FAR

GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Old 05-01-2002, 02:00 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Is that true?? How close is too close? On my Magic, the receiver is right in front of the servos. Only about 1/2" away from the throttle servo.

Mike
Old 05-01-2002, 03:28 AM
hobbyplace

Default yes its true

your reciver is 1/2 inches from your servo?

does your plane ever glitch?

if so move it about 1 1/2 away clear of everything

the reciver gives out mixed signals when its too close to a servo

like putting to magnets together they push away

are you using a jr or a crapy futaba reciver?
Old 05-01-2002, 04:04 AM
Homebrewer

Default Where's the traffic?

This true story is a spoof of the silly BV thread someone started. How come nobody cares that I crashed?
Old 05-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Flying Scotsman

Quote: "are you using a jr or a crapy futaba reciver?"

Hmmm....I'm not biting! Don't want to lower the tone and get into a JR v Futaba handbag war.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:09 AM
cloudnine

I have 3 Futaba's myself. Then I bought a JR, I like it much better overall. I like the small receiver, that makes it so much easier for placement.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:15 PM
b17flyer-RCU

If your getting "glitches" for your rec being "too close to servos" something is wrong with that rec.While i do run servo wires to one side and rec anttena to to the other(most of the time). I have never seen a problem out of my equip. and they are on 3/d to trainer planes. Even my b17 rec. is only 2" or less from the servos in thr fuse.
So dont fall for that B.S.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:50 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

I AGREE WITH B-17!
I have many planes that the receiver is litterally next to the servos and never a problem!!
I'm sorry you crashed HOMEBREWER, it reminds me of those CARTOONS in the AMA magazine.. What a bummer, going to teach someone and crash. INSULT TO INJURY! I have empathy for you.
HAVE YOUR RADIO GEAR CHECKED OUT..

RON
Old 05-02-2002, 04:08 PM
rbeck
My Feedback: (6)

Default CRASHES

I feel sorry for anyone that crashes their plane with equipment failure. I had that same thing happen to me. My ailerons stopped than my throttle went to idle. Nothing I could do but watch it go in. Very helpless feeling. I found out, when the plane was put into a loop the receiver would stop functioning. Tested on the bench right side up worked upside down didnt work, probably a bad solder joint or something. Threw that receiver out. Never had the problem again.......KNOCK ON WOOD!!

RBECK
Old 05-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Homebrewer

Default Found problem

I think I found the problem which caused the crash. I was charging my batteries and the charger was acting up intermittently. The charger would show a intermittent short by blinking out and then it would be fine after a few seconds and resume charging. All of a sudden, while covering a wing in my shop, large billow of smoke came pouring out of the trainer. I almost had a fire on my hands, the battery leads were glowing red hot. I replaced the switch harness and battery, all appears fine now.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:40 AM
cloudnine

Oh man, thank God you were there when it happened. Hope all works out for ya now. Hate to hear about you crashing too. Have a great flying weekend to all youse guys.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:15 PM
borialisRC

Default my trainer carshed my trainer too

Don't feel bad. After 5 planes that were wrecked due to no experience and not having anyone to help me, I finally found this dude that could help me. I was flying an Avistar .40 and he took it on its maiden voyage after checking the WHOLE plane out. At about 10 ft in the air after take-off she hooked left and dumped herself face first on the pavement. I didn't really care since I have wrecked every plane before this. My trainer was baffled. When I took it home (and apart) I noticed the fuel line from the pressure line was ripped and my plane was full of fuel. So it turns out, the fuel was leaking in the fuselage rapidly when I was fueling her up.Then on take off, all the fuel went to the rear and tank slapped until she couldn't handle it and just crashed! I didn't think I would ever learn to fly, well I did!(finally)!!! Oh yeah and off the topic, the reciever being close to the servo's had nothing to do with anything but the wires should be in a neat fashion to prevent interference!
-Good luck with your charger next time!
Old 05-07-2002, 09:33 PM
AirplanesRC

I never understood radio wars, JR is cool, Futaba's Just fine, (usually what i use), and in my honest opinion HiTec is a Great company/
Old 05-08-2002, 06:47 AM
assaf

Default reciever too close to servos- excuse me for saying -- bull****

There is a reason why they call it "reciever" because it only recieves...
the commands it gives to the servos are not strong enough to cause any kind of interference.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:58 AM
bgi

Radio wars will continue, just like with cars, cameras, computers.

Human beings need to reassure themselves that they made a good decision.

It's important to be right. Often when you're growing up, a wrong decision can mean serious injury or death. So, as children, we all learn to like to think that we're making good decisions. Some of us never unlearn this. I know I didn't. I have the best car, camera, model plane, model plane radio, etc. If it wasn't the best, I wouldn't have bought it! I'm not telling you what they are because you may argue with me and convince me that I made a poor decision. I don't think I could take that kind of disapointment....
Old 05-10-2002, 03:16 AM
bgi

How enlightening... Need a bucket? I'll stick to my guns. Why do you think everyone thinks their engine is better than the other kind? Because it's better? Or because that's the one they bought?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly! If HobbyPlace had one of those "Crappy" receivers in his plane, it probably wouldn't have crashed. I guess he considers himself lucky to have had one of those defective "superior" receivers.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Unstable

you are all just jeleous because I have better stuff than you pirate: arrrrrrrrrrr

(is it me or are the emoticons getting wierder and wierder pirate: :tired: :sleeping: :bananahea :greedy: )
Old 05-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

What a bunch of hooey. I buy things because:

a. I like it.
b. It was a good deal.
c. It will fit the application it is intended for.

I have a Magnum .28 on my combat plane. I certainly don't run around applauding myself for buying the best combat engine ever while guys with Norvels are zooming past me.

I am on my second JR radio. I bought the first one because it was on sale, and the second one because I wanted to be able to use the first as a buddy box (in my evil plot to get all of my friends hooked on RC). My neighbor has a 9C, and I recognize that while my 8103 and his are at about the same level of capability, his is a superior radio.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:46 PM
bgi

JetSD,

You sound like me in this respect. Great. Not the most common attitude in this hobby. Surely you didn't think I was saying that we're all so insecure? Got your sarcasm detector turned off?