Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Finally Joined The Club!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Finally Joined The Club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Joined The Club!

:stupid: Rushed to finish my "BalsaNova" last night. Tightened the prop about 2AM. Up at 8AM and off to the field. Engine fires up pronto, all surfaces wiggle in anticipation as they answer the sticks. Throttle up, into the wild blue in about 20 feet, turn right -------OH NO! THE STUPID AIRPLANE IS GOING LEFT!!! Yep! After almost 50 years of flying RC I finally hooked up the ailerons backwards and didn't catch it.
How did it end? First class rekitting! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
Old 05-03-2002, 12:34 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I hope it is 50 years before I do that and I will feel blessed!
Old 05-03-2002, 03:15 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

couldnt you have used the rudder to fly it back?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Phil Heller

Default Now why didn't I think of that!

------ There I was, 10 feet off the deck in a knife edge attitude with reversed ailerons -- THE RUDDER! Now why didn't I think of that? (20 years ago, maybe.)
Old 05-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Timbersnake

Default Wind...

Phil...too bad there wasn't a gust of wind you could've blamed the roll on. I've seen that (aileron reversal) happen to other flyers twice. Both were the result of a rushed setup, and groundcheck. I think it's important to note that everyone who's helping out can get excited about a birds first flight...not just the pilot. I think that happened at our club when a veteran put his new Seamaster up for the first time. He had help with his preflight ... there were 2 other experienced pilots helping with the checks, and everyone missed it. Just happens sometimes I guess. Plane took off, rolled left, then WAY left, then it was too late. By the time he realized what was happening, the plane had already inverted and punched in (to the lake). At least he pulled the throttle, and the damage was minimal.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:06 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 feet off the ground in knife edge attitude with reversed ailerons. RUDDER don't do much -- I did the same thing about 1 yr ago. not much time to do anything cept get the glad bags.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Phil Heller

Default Senior Moment?

Some time ago I read where a notable scale modeler test flew his 4 engine plane and forgot to unravel the receiver antenna, which of course, seriously affected his range. I noted that several well known modelers and magazine editors were helping him prepare for this flight. Last photo showed the receiver amongst the wreckage with the antenna neatly rolled and tied with a twist tie!
Reminds me of what my old flight instructor used to preach - " Be sure your brain switch is on before engaging the starter!"
:spinnyeye
Old 05-05-2002, 02:37 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I seen that too, wasnt it a b17?