Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 PM
FletchNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any Hobbico NexSTAR CRASHES or MISHAPS???

Twindaddy, the AFS uses a light sensitive sendor to maintain straight and level. The sun this time of year is a bit tough to resolve, but basically your right.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
dadovago

VoilÃ*... this the result of my best fly never ever!

Click below to see....

Simon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55709.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	117569  
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM
FletchNJ

So THAT'S how you get to the landing gear lock assembly!

Ouch! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Vallier Racing

you guys could rebulid thoes it's not to hard won't be the same but it'a an airplane again
Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 PM
kokpit

Well, knew to this hobby and the board, so thought I'd add to this poste.

Not a crash, but a successful maiden flight. As with some of the other posters, my instructor wanted the AFS disconnected, as well as the flap / brakes and airfoil extensions.

Prior to this I've used Flt Sim, Warbirds, hold a PPL and used the Real Flight program. Instructor took it off, checked it out and then I spent 10 mins flying racetrack patterns at the field. Apparently he was very impressed, only taking over once in the 10 mins, but I can see how people going solo without an instructor can end up a cropper!

He had control when engine quit after about 12 mins, and dead sticked it down OK.

Refuelled and back up again, another 10 mins or so, and before bringing it back down. First landing was aborted, he wasn't happy, I think too fast on finals, and second had a few bounces, resulting in a clipped prop. No big deal, a $2 replacement.

Enclosed a couple of pics, before the unthinkable can happen, fingers crossed!

However, the weird thing is, its lasting 10 - 12 mins on a tank, but then we find that the tanks still half full on landing the second time. I'm positive the tank was full on the first flight, and can only assume it was near to quiting on the second. If so, what's the problem, it defuels to empty OK from the supply line?

I was checking out the club a couple of weeks ago and there was another guys that had had the same problem I think, but buggared if I can remember how he fixed it.

Kev.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61502.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	121177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30998.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	121178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13470.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	121179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60294.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	121180  
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

Well, for what you'll pay to replace that, I'd recommend a Hobbico Superstar. I have a beginner friend who has one. Since I've gotten him started, I've flown it multiple times, and even bailed it out of a few desparate situations. I don't think there's an easier flying plane out there. That might be good choice for you. If your engine and radio are good, I'm pretty sure you can get the plane for less than $100.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:57 PM
FletchNJ

I have been flying mine for a few weeks, and after timing it on the ground at full throttle, I get 12 minutes to a tank. I have noticed an engine sputter though on 1/2 tank. We noticed air bubbles the first weekend we flew it. Changed all the fuel lines, after removing the tank, as well as the line on the clunk. Had to remove the engine to get the tank in and out , but it was worth it.

My instructor showed me something he had learned the hard way. Take a close look at the fuel line on the clunk inside the tank. The wall thickness is about half of normal fuel line. He explained to me that this weaker wall could collapse under the draw pressure. Sure enough, we have better fuel draw after it was replaced.

Another thing we found was that there was a lot of vibration that caused the clunk to jump around. Most of this was when the plane was resting on the table, but a little was there in the air as well. This past weekend, I nicked the prop pretty good on the one side. I had just gotten a prop balancer the other day, and decided to use it on the dinged prop. I filly expected the dinged side to go up, but it went DOWN every time. Even with the nick, the prop was heavy. Lesson learned was that you should never trust ANY prop to be balanced, even though they don;t cover this in the NexStar manual.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
kokpit

ORIGINAL: FletchNJ

My instructor showed me something he had learned the hard way. Take a close look at the fuel line on the clunk inside the tank. The wall thickness is about half of normal fuel line. He explained to me that this weaker wall could collapse under the draw pressure. Sure enough, we have better fuel draw after it was replaced.
Thanks for that Fletch, I'll check it out.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 PM
DannyP51
My Feedback: (-1)

Check to see if your fuel tank is isolated with padding, if not fuel could be foaming after a few minutes.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Love2FlyMN

Lol , i crashed my nexstar. It was about the 10th flight, i thought i had mastered it (ahhahhaha!!!) .... SO, coming around to land, it suddenly flipped upside down, i thought i had enough air to just pull out of it with a half loop, so i tried, i ended up going straight down into a tree full throttle in a straight down dive (70 mph?) the wing actually didn't fair too bad, but i busted the fuse in half by servo tray. Motor was dug into the ground somehow...???... I almost cried when my baby went down... I see some planes advertised for like $80 almost built so i m ight just get one of them and put my junk in there.... Somehow, crash that one too....
Old 04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
flyboy138

HEY poorkid
Sorry to hear about your nexstar crash. Was it windy or did you bank the wing to much in the turn.
Best Regard Flyboy138
Old 04-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Klunkyunkertin

Am I the only one flying with the air brakes and wing droops on? I read a lot about instructors wanting to take them off, I was glad mine didn't mind them. We were out last night and that Nexstar will just hang for ever. Very slow controlled landings. I sure like the way it flys with them.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:32 AM
flyboy138

Hi Klunkyumkertin
I still fly with my air brakes and wing droops on. I like the ways she flys with them on. Iam used to the way she flys with them on.I have been asked by the guys at the field why dont I take them off. Because right now I am haveing to much fun still flying with them on. But Iam sure one day they will come off.
Best Regards Flyboy138
Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Bipeguy
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all.....I am an instructor in our club and am going to train a new student who just ordered one of these planes. I have not seen this plane yet, so I have a couple questions for you guys who 'disconnected' the AFS. 1) Why ? I read all the reviews on this and it seems like a good system as long as you follow the guidelines for useing it in the sun. 2) Did your instructors play with the AFS adjustments at all or just junk the system before even trying it out?

I know as instructors, we can get set in our ways of training and not want to try anything new, but this seems like something I am going to give a fair shot to unless someone can give me a really good reason not to.

BTW, the specs say the max speed in a dive is 57mph. I suppose that is with the air brakes and wing droops attached, so if you had them off, you might reach 70.

Thanxxx in advance for your input......Bipeguy
Old 04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Klunkyunkertin

Hey Bipeguy - I had flown the G2 flight simulator all winter before buying my Nexstar so I was used to flying with out the AFS. I tried the AFS on the computer as it came with the Nexstar, but found it to be awkward. Also, I hadn't seen any positive posts regarding the AFS. I didn't like that the weather was a factor either. Your lucky if you get a nice calm day when you start out. If you also have to be concerned about percentage of cloud cover and angle of the sun your going to have a long wait! One other negative is that it does suck more battery juice, I'm not sure how much.

I still might try it someday, I think it would be interesting to see how it does on a windy day.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Love2FlyMN

ORIGINAL: flyboy138

HEY poorkid
Sorry to hear about your nexstar crash. Was it windy or did you bank the wing to much in the turn.
Best Regard Flyboy138
Yeah, i think it was a combination, it was kinda windy, but i am not real sure what made it flip like that
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 PM
FletchNJ

I was out last Saturday, and just as I was completing a left turn with a crosswind from the left, it snapped right over on me. Luckily I had altitude, and was still on the buddy box. Only have had a couple of opportunities due to my travel schedule and weather, but I can say with 15+ MPH of wind, this thing does not want to come down! We were toying with taking off the speed brakes, and actually did. Winds were gusting 20-25, so we never made it back up.

For those who have removed them, did it affect the trim of the aircraft much?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Flyin_High
My Feedback: (1)

Last Friday I was pulling into the driveway of my local club, and I saw some one complete a figure 9. He was in the midst of doing a flip, when the transmitter batterey went dead. On the NexSTARs transmitter, there is a little tiny red low bat light, that NO one will ever see when flying.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Love2FlyMN

LOL, figure 9
Old 04-16-2004, 07:41 AM
FletchNJ

So a figure 3 would be a crash SO HARD that it bounces I guess?![:@]
Old 04-20-2004, 10:17 PM
NexstarCrasher

Well I got my Nexstar about 3 weeks ago, I taxed around for a week and then went out and flew it. After about 2 minutes it took a sudden left bank and started for the ground. The AFS did nothing so I corrected, it started to fly strait and level again and suddenly banked left and went into the ground. Broke the fuselage in two and the main wing. So after ordering a new fuselage and wing, I got it back out on the field. Flew it around and when I was landing, it hit a fence and broke again. This time I will fix the fuselage and wing because its not that bad, although the wing didn't come off like it should have. Next time I'm calling my local instructor to help me learn to fly. At least my wife hasnt killed me yet!

Old 04-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Combat Addict

You can repair that, you need advice?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 PM
FletchNJ

Be careful with the AFS! It looks at light differences, and depending on the angle of the sun, can get very confused. There are specific instructions for this in the manual.

I am not going to preach to you about the value of instruction, as you have learned your lesson twice now. Also, don;t forget about their learn to fly guarantee. If you with an instructor, you have a good chance at getting replacements at no charge if you do crash.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:30 PM
NexstarCrasher

Well sense my second crash I have fixed the fuselage, and the wings. A little bit of sanding and some mono cote and should be good to go, again.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:45 AM
flyanything

Just joined the board. I'm new to RC and bought my NexSTAR in late Feb. after messing around with a HobbyZone Firebird Commander for a while first. After successfully flying the FBC I was impressed with the shear size and scale looks of the NexSTAR when I took it out of the box, very exciting! Anyway, I joined my local club and was happy to receive the experience and support they provided. Our best club pilot maidened the NextSTAR (AFS disabled), trimming it just right and making sure that there were no strange flight characteristics. Then they hooked me up to the buddy box, got it up high, and let me have it. I had spent a few hours on the included sim so I was able to fly circuits around the field with no problems. Two weeks later I soloed and started burning fuel like a mad man!!! Well, that was some 100 flights ago. After about 20 flights I removed the airbrakes which required putting more up elevator into the trim, but I highly recommend keeping them on until landing skills are consistent. After about 30 more flights I removed the spin control foils. This allowed much smoother aerobatic performance especially when doing rolls and inverted flight. The only close call I've had was when bailing out of inverted flight that was initiated too close to the treetops (lesson learned). I had some engine tuning issues with the low end- bogged when given throttle to pull out practice approach, but was able to get that dialed in on the table. Changed from 10% cast/synth to 15% all synth and she is flying fast and responsive at 1/2-3/4 throttle. I'm going to buy/ship a NexSTAR for my Dad and younger brother to learn on. Wish it came with AFS as an option because it adds cost and is not really needed when an instructor is used. I have a tiny wireless camera I'm going to stick in that AFS hole and get some nice arial footage. Will post a link to the footage when I get it online. Sorry for the long initial post, subsequent posts will be shorter I promise!

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.