Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
 Modeltech Me-109 1998-2004 >

Modeltech Me-109 1998-2004

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Modeltech Me-109 1998-2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Me-109 1998-2004

I thought the day would never come. I think that I got my money out of this one. My little brother was flying it at the time and there was some sort of radio failure. The plane went crazy and had intermittent control. It seemed as if someone turned on their radio, but we were the only ones there. It worries me because I have some more expensive planes on the same transmitter (XP8103) and if the transmitter has problems then I'm in trouble, but most likely it was some sort of failure on the plane. I am guessing that it was some sort of loose connection on board. She went in really hard and this is what is left.

Luckily I have already started building it's replacement. It is one of the best flying little warbirds you can get your hands on. It is cheap and small and also makes a great second airplane.

The most memorable flight I had with the plane was during combat. I T-boned a sig wonder and chopped him into about 5 pieces. I landed with the motor still running. The damage to my plane was about one inch of the prop on one side was missing and the cowling was cracked.

That is the second one I have lost in two weeks. We'll have to see what next week brings. The funny thing is that I have had two planes crash this year and I was not flying either plane at the time. The first was a mid-air and then a radio failure tonight. Well, that plane was not technically mine. I told my little brother that he could have the old 109 once I finished the new one and when he had soloed on it, which he did.

One more little thing. We spent about an hour looking for it because it went in pretty far away into weeds over 2 feet tall. I didn't think that we were going to find it. I ended up having my little brother go back and take the Avistar up and fly over about the same area where the plane was last flying. We found it within ten minutes. It was about 300 feet farther out than we had thought it went in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66619.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	154122  
Old 07-16-2004, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Modeltech Me-109 1998-2004

it can be fixed, and if you dont want to I'll buy it off you
Old 07-16-2004, 07:53 PM

If you want to pay the postage you can have the old carcass. I was going to rebuild it earlier this year but it was so worn out that it needed almost a complete rebuild and covering job. I decided to fly it to it's death and build a new one. It turned out to be a good second plane for my brother. I just don't have the time or will to rebuild it.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 PM

I have been looking at this ARF. for a third plane. It sounds like a nice flyer, would you reccomened it?

What type of engine did you use... Would a good .40 size be good?
Old 07-16-2004, 10:17 PM

I think it is an excellent airplane and always want one around. I would really recommend it before getting into more expensive stuff. It is a great learning step and has a lot of the tendencies a larger, higher wing loaded airplane has at a fraction of the cost. I think that having flown a small airplane such as this one will make you a better pilot. He is pretty small and can be thrown in the car for some lunch break flying. It can be tamed down for sport flying or it can be flown wildly. It is a very durable airplane and took years of abuse. It does great flat spins as well as knife edge spins. It has enough rudder authority for four point rolls, eight point rolls, slow rolls, and some knife edge. My 14 year old brother went direclty from the Avistar as his primary trainer to this plane and was able to fly it. I tamed the controls down for him and he was having a blast. After a couple of flights I upped the control throw and he was doing rolling circles, low inverted passes with negative snap rolls, cuban eights........just about everything he saw me doing. He also got quite a bit of stick time on G2 which has helped him greatly.

I originally started out with a TT 25 pro on it. It flew the plane OK and it had good performance. I then started flying combat and it had a hard time pulling the streamer. It was a lot slower than the other aircraft. I bought a used OS 40 FP and, holy cow, it livened that plane up. I also fly around density altitudes of 7,000 - 10,000, so I lose a lot of power. For that reason the engines I recommend might be a tad big, but there is always the throttle stick.

I was able to fit a Hayes 6 ounce fuek tank up in the front and that will give you over a 10 minute flight. It also has room for standard radio equipment.

With the 40 it has unlimited vertical and is capable of insane maneuvers. People just can't believe how well it flies.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 AM

Thanks. I hear there's a .40 version. but i can't find it. if anyone has a link send it this way please!

I'm pronbably going to get this plane. (i wanna chase the P-51's at my field around) Since there are like 10 at my field! and no 109's
Old 07-18-2004, 12:08 AM
My Feedback: (327)

The 40 size (a much better flyer than the 25 size) was discontinued at least 2 years ago. Why they kept the 25 around beats me..............................