Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Too low/too slow = crash in the corn

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Too low/too slow = crash in the corn

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 07:04 AM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too low/too slow = crash in the corn

SOB I did it again!!!!! A few weeks ago, I crashed my Arrow in a cornfield. This cornfield you have to fly over in order to line up with the field for landing. The first crash was because I lowered throttle in the middle of a sharp right hand bank turn.
This time, I was flying low, maybe 50 feet or so and on low throttle. Turned sharply to the right and just lost it. Arrow went into the cornstalks. I found it in about 15 minutes (I was only one at the field). Damage this time very extensive from the LE of wing forward.
Looks like I will have to clean engine (ie take apart cause I don't know how much mud got into the carb). Took everything apart and all the servos work fine and so does the rx. Also most of the pushrods okay except for the throttle. Was able to get just about all the hardware out. The plane however is toast and had a ceremonial fire yesterday. Sad because the Arrow was my 1st glow plane (I have been flying electric for 3 years). I also have a Tiger 2, a Twist and a U Can Do 46. I seem to have a little trouble turning to the right as opposed to the left.

Dave...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14595.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	172419  
Old 09-17-2004, 05:59 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Too low/too slow = crash in the corn

Sorry to hear it, but I know the feeling. Gotta keep goin though!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:44 PM
jameschen0702

sorry to see that happen to you..but every ending is a new beginning...hope you'll be flying in the air again soon!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:25 AM
GPitts
My Feedback: (6)

well...was there any lesson you learned from that mishap lol?...did you just stall the plane on that sharp turn or did you just hit a very tall corn stalk?...also by the looks of it the carb seems to be real full of mud...well atleast you got two more birds to fly...wish you luck next time....
Old 09-19-2004, 03:04 AM
highflyermark
My Feedback: (-1)

maybe you should practice your landing procedure and turns with your tiger2. This is probably the best flying intermediate plane on the market!!! I was there when i started 15 yrs ago. Go to the field with a fresh gallon of gas and practice your procedure, a bit higher off the corn this time! The tiger surely won't snap in on a low sharp turn. You just need to understand how the wing works, and if you turn to sharp, all the wind will no longer be lifting the plane. once this is perfected, try it with your other planes.....don't overestimate your abilities
Old 09-19-2004, 07:22 AM
LuckyArmpit

Thanx for the tips!!! What I should do is make sure I'm out far enough and high enough. Especially high enough. Get it lined up and gradually drop the altitude and then low throttle. The field is big enough and not like a postage stamp where you only roll out 20 yards from touch down. I guess I was worried about running out of field and hitting the weeds at end of field. Which is no big deal because it won't harm the plane unless you hit it full bore.
Tiger 2 had its maiden a few days ago. Dead sticked it in!!! Forgot I had the plane upside down in the pits and the fuel leaked out.
Glided in pretty good and even made the field but came in the opposite way. I have to lower the end point adjustment on the ailerons.
Plane was twitchy when turning.

Dave...