Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Twist broke in half...pictures at 1100...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Twist broke in half...pictures at 1100...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:36 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Twist broke in half...pictures at 1100...

I think the area behind the wing is a weak spot on most planes. I have seen a lot of different plane break in the same spot. Not all of them ARFs. You can reinforce the area but where does it end. Do you want it light or do you want it as strong as a tank?

I hand launch my Pizzaz on occasion. Well it's not really a launch. It's more of a hold it up and let go. Mine is Saito .72 powered with a 13x4W APC. The long low pitch prop is the key here. It will do it with a 13x6APC but it struggles a little. I wonder if I could tie a string to the tail wheel and hover it like a kite?????????????? Just kidding that would be dangerous! But it did cross my mind.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41250.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	194402  
Old 12-15-2004, 06:21 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL now thats a twisted one. Sorry about that man.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:49 AM
MOJO65-9or10

I was talking about doing donuts on the ground in 15mph winds. It just runs away while doing donuts. I have broke mine in half a few times and it is a easy fix. Now I have quite fixing it and am building a Mojo. The last straw was when I landed a crappy harrier landing (sorta) and managed to plant my aerodynamic counterbalencers in the grass and tear off the elevator and then with the use of the joining wire torn off the rudder. "Damn that was dumb"

Dave
Old 01-29-2005, 11:20 PM
mtnlvr

I think the Twist is built pretty well. I was practicing hovers getting more and more confident (or cocky) and "landed" her on her back pretty hard on a gravel with grass growing out of it. I shattered an APC prop, broke the vertical fin just above the fuse, and broke the left elevator half. Nothing else. I ordered parts from Horizon and had her back in the air 4 days later.

I just don't understand how the rudders didn't break but the fin did. The hinges were even intact.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

Landed at an angle and the wing bolt popped off. (nylon actually worked as expected)

Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 AM
n2rc

Mine broke in the same place just from a bumpy landing on the tail.. This spot on the plane is a very weak spot.. I just put it back together using some hard wood triangle stock..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

Mine did too. Twice(so far). There's not much structure just aft of the cockpit. I have the carcasses of two others that also broke in the same place that I'll eventually fix up... If I get bored enough (my guess would be in about 50-60 years or so...)

The price people pay for artf's is daft and most are built badly and badly designed. This is why i build my own from scratch or buy kits. if you build it you know how well its built and even more so you will be able to strengthen weak areas up though most kits are built to last.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twist are fun planes ,I`ve had 3 and had to repair the first 2 and modified the 3rd before it was ever flown. My biggest issue with the Twist , is they went from $99.00 bucks to $179.00 over nite. Much better 3D planes out there for that kinda of money.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52160.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1106184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17053.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1106185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22979.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1106186  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I have watched a friend break his in the exact same spot. Wasn't even a bad landing, it was pretty windy out and she came down the last 6 inches or so quickly onto all 3 wheels and crunch. If i didn't feel sorry about him breaking a plane i'd have been laughing my butt off at the expression on his face when it happened. Fight the plane all the way down to 6 inches in a bad wind only to have that happen!!

Geoff
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM
kid chuckles

I was flying mine very high and inverted the crystal vibrated out and that is the rest of the story. Would post some pics, but do not have a panoramic style camera lol. Man was funny holding the radio in one hand and watching it fall from that height. Did find the crystal lying about 10ft. from plane though. Thought it might have came out upon crashing but nothing would work while it was falling. Put crystal in the reciver and stuff worked while lying there. No nothing would work throttle, ail, rudd. nothing while it was coming down. But everything worked after i reinstalled the crystal. My fault I did not check and had been working with the reciever and i guess i had loosened the crystal some already cause i could not just shake it out or even bang it out after i put it back in. Non rebuildable by me anyways. All the stuff still worked so was just out the 75.00 I paid for it. USED a few times.