Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Somethin Extra...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Somethin Extra...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Robert300XS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin Extra...

I broke my Somethin' Extra...

We had a fun-fly, and the last event was the 3 pole limbo. We had the choice of going under the first, over the second, and under the 3rd or just go under all 3. If you did it inverted, you got double points. Well, I said shoot, I'll do under over under inverted! I got all lined up and I came in inverted, went under, over and i corrected the rudder the wrong way(inverted) so I gunned it and went around to land because you only had one chance. Well I was comin in(keep in mind I was at the middle so I had absolutely no reference of where the plane was) and I got under the first limbo, and I figured I'll gun it and go around again between pole #1 and pole #2. I did so and pulled up and my plane hit the tape that went across the limbo poles! I thought I was ok so I turned it around and I noticed that it was slowing down as I advanced the throttle, then it kinda went down and landed on the wing. I got over there and the tape was wrapped around the prop!(It's not tape, its some stuff that looks like tape). So apparently the pole said "F U" and stole the plane. Damage was very minimal! All it did was tear out the gear plate, bend the gear and broke the sheeting on the left wing panel. I will rebuild it, but my dad agreed to get a new kit for the meantime! So I got SE #2 on it's way, getting it tomorrow. I have many ideas for modifications. Any ideas besides making the tail surfaces larger? I was thinking about making the horizontal stab smaller and the elevator larger with counterbalances. Also making the rudder larger and stab shorter, plus increasing the area for the rudder throw... What do y'all think?

By the way, I was laughing really hard when I was walking over to get the plane, I loved the crash!
Old 08-17-2002, 09:05 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Bwahaha. The only crach I've had with my SE was during a set of low-speed inverted passes.

I was coming in for a touch and go, thought "eh why not" and flipped the bird over. Putt-putted down the field at high idle... cool!

Decided to do it again, lower.

Next pass. Same approach, but I bled off my airsped earlier and was able to drag the plane along on the prop, tail-low. ~6 inches off the deck.

"No way!" says my spectator

Decided I could touch the rudder.

Same approach as before. Slower, slower... lower lower... then the tail touched! Too bad the *nose* touched right afterward. Not enough airspeed to keep going. Should have quit while I was ahead

Damage was minor. Broke the motor mount and knoched the rudder loose. All fixed; it flies still.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:32 AM
Robert300XS

Haha, yea, I'll get this one flyable again, but first I want to build a new one
Old 08-18-2002, 08:18 PM
visioneer_one

Default Update!

I pulled off the Inverted-Tail-Touch today! (8/18/02)

Old 08-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Robert300XS

I hope you didn't hurt the ground!
Old 08-19-2002, 02:46 AM
visioneer_one

I've been informed that the maneuver I did is called an "inverted rudder drag" or an "inverted tail slap"
I'll not throw in the obligatory sexist "tail slap" joke