Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Fool on the field

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Fool on the field

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 PM
pfine
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fool on the field

While flying at a scale meet, I was doing a slow flyby, when a previous flyer who had deadsticked short of the runway, decided to retrieve his plane. He walked out onto the end of the runway with radio in hand (STILL TURNED ON) to get his plane. Even though his he was on a differant frequency, when my plane flew over him the interferance from his radio caused my plane to roll over on its back and nose into the ground. Eight months work shot to hell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46298.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	254152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50500.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	254153  
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Fool on the field

when my plane flew over him the interference from his radio caused my plane to roll over on its back and nose into the ground. Eight months work shot to hell.
I'm not sure if this is possible . While checking 2 separate radios sitting no more than a foot apart I didn't experience any interference.

Twas a nice bird, I bet it could fly inverted forever.

Sorry for your loss. But I wouldn't blame him just yet.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM
LSF2298

Beautiful bird. Sorry for you loss. Not sure how you could attribute your crash to him?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

SORRY ABOUT THE LOSS OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL PLANE.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I also believe you might need to look elsewhere for the cause of your crash... two radios on two seperate freq's will not interfere with each other, close range or not. Sounds to me like someone else might have inadvertantly turned on a Tx that WAS on your frequency and shot you down. That was a beautiful aircraft, and sorry for your loss, but I dont buy the alleged cause. Either way, a bad deal though.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How many successful flights were you able to get out of the airplane?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Is there a scale crash prize?

Old 04-05-2005, 05:38 AM
SaulOhio

A friend of mine flies on a frequency close to mine, but still different. I am on 52, and I think he is on 53 or 54. When I have my Tx turned off and my plane's battery plugged in, my plane responds to his Tx, though sporadically. When my Tx is on, I get no interference at all. We have no problem flying together. I would definitely look for a different cause.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Why was the other guy a fool???

and why do a fly by over someone recovering an airplane?

and sorry about the loss of a pretty plane
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
aaron2874

I have no comment about the crash. I would just like to compliment you on a fantastic build. That was one beautiful plane.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Skidmarx

Hi guys. Here in the UK, we have a golden rule (part of the safety procedures of the British Model Flying Association) that you never take a live transmitter onto the flying area or overfly the pilot box. I believe that this is because even though a live Tx is on a different frequency to yours, overflying it is likely to interfere with your reception with drastic results. I guess our friend pfine and the other party unfortunately demonstrated this point. I hope that plane takes to the skies again - superb model.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
satariq

I fly 40.81 and my brother uses 40.79. We usually stand together, even antennas touching, and we do formation flying, dog fights etc. Never even felt a glitch.

I doubt if it was because of that receiver. But at the same time, it was a nice plane.......
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Crashem

Hi guys. Here in the UK, we have a golden rule (part of the safety procedures of the British Model Flying Association) that you never take a live transmitter onto the flying area or overfly the pilot box. I believe that this is because even though a live Tx is on a different frequency to yours, overflying it is likely to interfere with your reception with drastic results. I guess our friend pfine and the other party unfortunately demonstrated this point. I hope that plane takes to the skies again - superb model.
No offense but I don't buy!!!!

Pfine, I wonder who will be the fool when you find the actual cause of your accident?

Nice plane though
Old 04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting, I could agree on overflying the pilot box for different reasons, but I couldn´t believe that you can "jam" another aircraft if your tx is near it. If this where true, we wouldn´t able to land a plane on the far side of a busy flight line...

Sorry about the plane.. at least it is repairable.

Enrique
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Skidmarx

I think we work on a different frequency in UK (?) so I accept that my suggestion may or may not be the reason for the prang in pfine's case. However, with the price he paid maybe it's worth sticking to the simple principle we use here and at least avoid that particular interference risk. Happy flying to all.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Lowlevlflyer

And your facts to back this theory up are what? Exactly why would overflying another Tx on a different freq be "likely" to have any effect on your Tx, especially "drastic results" as you put it? If that were true, it would be a near impossibility for two or more people to fly in close proximity to one another at the same time. Nope, I dont buy that one at all.
ORIGINAL: Skidmarx

Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Lowlevlflyer

sorry, didnt get my post up before your last reply. I dont know about your freqs in the UK, maybe something is different over there.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First- Very sorry for the loss

Second- Why is it that most radio hits occur during the takeoff and landing phase? Sounds sort of suspicious to me.. I think it would be wise to look elsewhere for the cause or it may happen again..
Old 04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow- I just have to mention *again* that that was a nice looking model.....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Siefring

If you are operating right at the noise level of the receiver almost anything will interfere.
However, another transmitter shouldn't interfere with your receiver unless you are at the limits of your range and the other transmitter is close to the receiver. On a crowded field, it's pretty common, if you turn your TX OFF and leave the plane RX ON to see the control surfaces react weakly to other sources. The minute you turn the TX ON even with the antenna collapsed it all goes away.

Unless the plane was 500-1000 meters away and he was just under, I wouldn't expect another TX to jam you. If you had a marginal receiver, RX or TX battery, your TX antenna partially collapsed, or your RX antenna run near metal linkages for much of its length, the combination of the two things might do it.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:30 PM
bigchap

i was looking at the before picture and can't help noticing how short the antenna is,is it a loaded type or is it cut down?i presume that is the antenna sticking out the top of the wing.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 PM
twistr

Accross the pond over here in the good ol US of A, we also have a 'golden rule' always take your transmitter turned ON to fetch your plane. A fellow club member make the fatal mistake of *thinking* he deadsticked in the field out from our runway. He turned off the TX and walked out to fetch his plane, about the time he got to the plane, it had broken loose from the hole the wheel was in and off it took. It was still running!

Final thought: Always keep your TX on until you know your RX is off. You always need to be in control of that plane!
Hi guys. Here in the UK, we have a golden rule (part of the safety procedures of the British Model Flying Association) that you never take a live transmitter onto the flying area or overfly the pilot box
Old 04-05-2005, 10:56 PM
boom3

I believe you cause that type of interference happened to me. My fault and I'll probably get some deserving negative comments but... We fly shockflyers alot at my work and one day my friend was already flying so I thought it would be funny to kind of sneak out and fly over his head from behind. I was probably 6-8ft above him and right when I went over his antenna, my plane freaked out, dove, crashed and broke. Granted we both have cheap GWS receivers but we are over 10 channels apart. I have gotten the usually "hit" from time to time but this was definately interference from his transmitter.

And yes I probably deserved to crash, but I'm just saying this interference can happen.

Oh and don't fly over your friend's head.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
RC-Captain

I think you got nervous , and your hand was shaking.

SIGNAL/frequency doesn't have a direct path. So if you experienced interference above his head you would experience the same interference any where with in the flying flield. Not only from a radio but from cell phone beeber, CBs, TV, low band radios. etc.......
Old 04-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Redback

The weakest signal from a dipole antenna is directly along its axis. If I remember correctly the field pattern is kinda like a donut around the vertical axis.

So, assuming that the Tx was held upright (not necessarily the case I know) the change of interference is least when flying directly over the Tx.

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.