Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

plan B to retrieve a plane

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

plan B to retrieve a plane

Old 04-10-2005, 05:01 PM
still burnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plan B to retrieve a plane

Well I have finally did it. I have made a 3 point landing in the top of a 60” tree. I miss judged how far away my plane was and next thing I know it is parked in the tree. I was flying my trainer at the time (Thank God) to have a nice slow first flight of the year. Well I have seen many ways that people have used to get their planes back down but I was not having any luck. I started out with a fishing pole with a big sinker on it and got it near the plane to try to shake it out but that did not work. The tree was way to high and thin at the top to climb. I did not want to start winging arrows at it and it was stuck enough that the wind wouldn’t blow it down, so I took another approach. As I am part of the local fire department I had an Idea. Before anyone say it we live in a small town with no tall buildings so we do not have any big ladder trucks, but we do have water. Now I know that water and planes do not mix but I was out of options (besides cutting the tree) so I got our pumper, set up the hose and started to blast the plane out of the tree. It took a minute to get it out because the tail was stuck but after 500 gallons of water it did come down. The best part no damage, not even a prop. I got the engine started to burn out any water. I am now letting the receiver dry to see if it will work again. I hope so. So if you ever plant a plane in the top of a tree there are other ways to get it down. I hope you get a chuckle out of this I did.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: plan B to retrieve a plane

LOL! My 6yr old still thinks a wrist rocket is called plan B.[sm=bananahead.gif] Yeah my wife hates me.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:56 PM
BDAD Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

Drying your receiver might not be enough. Dip it in alcohol and let it dry. It sucks out all the moisture and cleans it nice so nothing rusts.

Fishing pole is another method of luring planes down as well as my favorite-- shotgun. Blast the branch it sits on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30391.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	256707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20967.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	256708  
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Balsa Master

lol... maybe a tad overkill... but thats one way to do it!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Behold...the saga...

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2404530/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]....and there she sits.[/link]