Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

My First Solo, Didnt go so well!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My First Solo, Didnt go so well!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
b0bro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Solo, Didnt go so well!

Hey all,

I met with my instructor this morning and we did a couple of flights. When he decided that I should go for my bronze wings while the Australian MAAA tester was at the club. Trying to keep it cool im like "YEAH.." Then rushing to the toilet with sheer terror.

Any ways moments later I was answering his test questions and then did some simulated deadsticks/ procedure turns and landings. He shook my hand and i was awarded my bronze wings. Sweeeet... Now for some fun!

I refill my plane and check that battery, all is good. There is no turning back now! thats when i notice that no one is flying and everyone is sitting at the club house chatting and watching me! Trying to keep the nerves aside I start my trainer up and taxi ready for take off knowing everyone is watching me. I open my throtle and im off the ground and into a climb. This is when i didnt relize my plane was fitted with a new special type of retracts. You know the ones that DROP OFF the plane! Holy Shhhht!

Bringing it around for a slow pass by, to my horror i see that im missing the front nose wheel. By now everyone else has noticed and are off their seats ready and might i add expecting me to crash this thing into the ground.. Luckily my instructor came over and offered his assistance, he did a great landing in the long grass just b4 the runway. Only damage was a bent stearing arm. Everyone in the club helped me look for the missing wheel witch was eventually found and put back on my plane. But i might leave my next flight untill next week end. That was bit much for me.

Any one elses solos go badly?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: My First Solo, Didnt go so well!

Well not my solo. I did perfect for my solo and the couple of flight later that day, but we left because we were going to fly full scale. I came back later with my dad and ended up crashin of a tip stall on take off... It was Idiotic
Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Learning to 3D
My Feedback: (1)

My first solo was kind of the same, everyone was sitting back watching me, i was doing some circuts trying to line up a nice landing and i ended up landing the plane of a set of power lines at the end of the field! i felt pretty silly! lucky there was only some minor damage and i was flying the model the weekend after.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:45 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

This doesn't exactly fall under it, but yesterday, I was trying to do a harrier to landing maneuver. I ended up tip stalling fron a couple feet up.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say it went all that bad. You managed to do the right thing, get back to the instructor in an unknown situation and rely on someone to help you out. I imagine you probably learned a bit from that experience which is always a good thing. I don't imagine anyone laughed at you either, probably some praise from all, including the MAAA tester, if not to your face, to someone else saying you had good judgement.

Write that off to experience, and one you won't forget to soon. And, don't stop because of that. I often ask my instructor for help in an unknown situation, may ask for some buddy box time to learn basics of a new maneuver, or when flying a new plane that I may be a tad unsure of.. always works because you have the benefit of their experience and the willingness to learn.

Keep it up. You're doing just fine.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

What gets my undies in a bind is that being a newbie, no one offered to help but your instructor!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM
rcpilotcd

on my solo i lost orientation and recovered about 3 feet off the deck .

rcpilotcd
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
andrew66

well, thats cutting it close!
on my solo, it was just me and my instructor, went really well. later on when there was more people, i tore the landing gear off!
I dont know why, but when i was starting out, i always did better by myself, or with one or two people there. I actually prefer to talk to someone while im flying. I dont know why this helps, but i found that i fly alot better that way.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

My Solo was Perfect, 3 take offs, 3 landings and 3 touch and go's. I guess why I did so well was because I had over 380 hours in full size planes. Also I had many hours on the Aerofly Pro Deluxe Simulator, before joining our club.

Well, don't worry about it. Next Solo attempt will be better. Just stay calm, let your knees shake... no one will laugh at you. We will only laugh because we can relate to what you're going through. Don't ever panic, because that could result in a busted up airplane in the end. When you do Solo successfully, be prepared to feel very good for a very long time.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM
rjm1982

I know how it feel, my first solo resulted in the dreaded main gear departure that the nexstar is known for, and i was the only one at the field at the time (was checked out the day before right before sundown)

Had some buddies there, but none of them flew, but i did good..

I just lined it up, a little aileron and rudder mixed to keep the left wing (the the right gear is the one that fell off) a little lower than the right side, got the left wheel down, hit the kill switch, got the nose down, and just kept holding more and more ailreron till the wing finally settled down nice and soft...just a little asphault burn...no biggy...

Im gald it happened though, it boosted my confidence a good bit.