Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Trainer Trash resurection

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Trainer Trash resurection

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trainer Trash resurection

Rick, glad to see you got it flying... good job! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Something I like to do with the hinges is to "pin" them with small metal pins, CA'd in through the surface&hinge. This keeps the hinges in place if the glue on the hinges gives way, and "locks" them in, though they are still removable if necessary.

A question: how did it balance after all the repairs? Did the CG change? This could be the problem if it's falling out of turns...

Just a couple suggestions on landing(you probably already know all of this) - don't use the elevator to control the descent-just use it to establish a level attitude, then use the throttle to control the descent rate. Also, at slow speed(like landing), use the rudder to "steer" the plane - not the ailerons. Give it a try- with practice it makes landing 1000% better.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
burndred

Thanks , i will try using the rudder , i do not fly with rudder , i was never taught to use it ( my dad got me into this but he lives far away from me and we only ever flew together with me on buddy for a couple of times) , i only ever use ailerons and elevator , i do understand the concept of rudder , only i have not used it enough to feel comfortable with it , i have tryed it a couple times then quickly let it go to get stable again , i will try practicing with it so that i can use it as you say on landing instead of ailerons .

Thanks for the advice , i really appreciate it , because im not really that good at this... Yet...

Old 06-29-2005, 11:32 AM
burndred

Just a thought , perhaps somebody could suggest some manouvers i could try .. nothing too difficult please , to improve my skills

i only really fly around in circles , a couple inside loops , maybe an outside if i feel really clever , a dive and pull up , you know.. im still learning i think at the moment a figure of eight would be a little nervy

i appreciate all this help everybody has given me already

Thanks Guys!!.

Rick

Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 AM
burndred

cw , in answer to your question about cg , i am not really sure how it balanced before , but i balanced it so that it was slightly nose down on an empty tank just on the main spar

i did not check lateral ? side to side balance i assumed this wouldnt be a problem
Old 06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

That sounds "about right" for the CG... I wouldn't change it if it works. Balancing laterally helps, but isn't strictly necessary. If it's heavier on one side, it will have a tendency to need more right or left trim to keep flying straight, but not really a big deal on a trainer.

As far as manouvers, I suggest just working on the basics for now- but start using the rudder. Stay with what you're doing until it becomes second nature before you try more advanced stuff. Flying a figure 8 while keeping the plane at the same altitude (both directions) will help you a lot, and is one of the FIRST things you should learn to do well. Just keep practicing. Touch and goes, or even just approaches without touching down(safer) will hone your landing skills. It might be boring, but keep doing them over and over and over until you no longer have to think about them and the plane goes exactly where you want it to go. It does take a while, be patient.

Anytime you try something new, be sure to have the altitude to recover if it doesn't go the way you planned. You know, "Three mistakes high".