Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Trashed on first landing.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Trashed on first landing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Miloh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trashed on first landing.

Hi All:

I just got in from the field. Big fly in this weekend and been out setting up and mowing and such....... I had my "new to me...used" knock about in the back of the truck and thought it would be a great time to get in the maiden. I bought it ready to fly except receiver and battery. No trim needed, it flew great landing was looking great. floating in nice and smooth and upon touchdown the gear riped right out!!!!!!!! nose went in hard and pretty well trashed the plane. After looking inside I find the gear has been torn out before and what looked like an at the field repair....you know..... a glob of CA in a crack here and there and see if it will sit up on it's wheels. then recovered but not repaired just slapped in with a bit of glue and recovered.
Oh Well!!!!!!!!!!! at least I got another motor and some electronics to go in the box under the bench.

Buyer beware I guess!!!!!!! be very aware

Miloh.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Trashed on first landing.

Big fly in this weekend and been out setting up and mowing and such....... I had my "new to me...used" knock about in the back of the truck and thought it would be a great time to get in the maiden.

You should never make a maiden flight at an event.

and upon touchdown the gear riped right out!!!!!!!! After looking inside I find the gear has been torn out before and what looked like an at the field repair....you know

As you say, buyer beware. That repair should have been visible from the interior of the fuselage.

Dr.1
Old 06-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Miloh

Well actually the repair was not visible from the wing opening as it was in front of a bulkhead that blocked the view. and I did not maiden it at an event. the event does not start until Saturday morning and this happened on Thursday afternoon. Buyer beware of course!!!!
The lesson here is even if you know someone you can't always trust them. All I needed was a little notice that there was the possibility of a problem I could have looked at before flying. but there was not only no mention of it but it was purposley hidden. If there had been as much effort put into the repair as was put into hidding the problem there would have been no problem.
Anyway "buyer beware" I'm not mad just relaying an experience that might save this same agervation for someone else.

Miloh.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:16 PM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

It all comes down to inspection. If you didn't build it then every thing should come out and be inspected. If you build it you know what you have in it. Even if someone tells me the best builder in the club built something I want to check it out.

Who knows Jack super club builder may have over looked some simple thing like forgetting to uncoil the receiver antenna!

When you buy it it is now yours and ultimately PILOT RESPONSIBILITY!