Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

I broke my Four Star 40 on Tuesday.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

I broke my Four Star 40 on Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I broke my Four Star 40 on Tuesday.

Hi folks.

Well, my Four-Star 40 is in the shop for repairs. It was one of those days, windy with a cross wind, but nothing I thougt I couldn't handle. And, I didn't follow my #1 rule: If in doubt, go around. Well, not exactly.

I was coming in for a landing, I wanted to adjust the mixture on the OS-50, and came around, made an approach, turned out to be a crappy approach, the cross wind was working against me. So, I came in, and about 5 or so feet above the ground, I decided to side-slip it a bit, and that's when things went south rather quickly.

I was going to slow when I hit it with some left rudder, then realized that it was not going to work so I added throttle but didn't wait for the plane to accellerate a bit before turning. I hit it with right aileron just as I hit the throttle and it tip stalled. It hit the ground on the tip of the right wing, did a cart-wheel, and hit the left wing tip. It managed to crush the leading edge of the left wing tip and broke the tip of the right wing tip. It also broke the wing saddle where the wing bolt goes in.

Totally repairable, probably be fixed this time next week (reason it will take that long is because we have an RC-air show this weekend and I need to make sure my Tiger 60 is up to par for flying the event).

I was thinking that I may just eliminate the end bays on both wings (of course I will.. on both sides that is..) and adding a piece of aileron stock shaped like the wing rib... give the wing tip a little angle favoring the top of the wing, sort of like the wing tip is like on the Tiger 60.

Yeah..yeah..yeah, I know.. why ain't it fixed already, right? [>:][>:][>:]

DS.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I broke my Four Star 40 on Tuesday.

Why didn't you post pics?

Woops
Old 09-15-2005, 07:29 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, but the cool thing is you know exactly what happened. Chopping off a bay on each side has been probably one of the most popular mods for this plane. It increases the roll rate and the plane still keeps it's nice handling qualities.

Good luck on the RC air show. I see these types of things are cropping up allot lately. I was asked to do one for the Boy Scout troup in our area this weekend using my Funtana90. I did 3 so far this year and I find it's actually allot of fun plus we usually end up with a few members.

Welp, time to go into another worthless set of meetings [>:]
Old 09-15-2005, 08:43 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubba: We've had two so far this year. The FAA put on an Aviation Enrichment Symposium here at the FAA Technical Center in Atlantic City, NJ. We (our club) was invited for both a static display and live demo. We had two RC Helicopters plus a whole gaggle of foamies out there flying (not at the same time). The people really enjoyed the show.

Yeah, I've heard that chopping off the end bay will help a lot with performance. So, I wasn't all that upset when it happened, upset with myself for allowing it to happen.

Whoops.. sorry, no pix. I just packed it up in the car and went home, and examined the damage, which was minimal.

I just bought a Venus 40 and intend to use the OS 50 in that plane, so it will be back to the OS46 ABX in the Four Star.

DS.