Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

And for my next trick...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

And for my next trick...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:04 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And for my next trick...

Went flying at a new site this weekend and pulled a new trick out of my hat with my Magic.

I was taking off and on the roll out, the Magic started rolling towards the left. Being the expert pilot that I am, I left my thumb in the exact same position. It continued to roll left and towards a curb. (We were taking off of a 4 lane road) I passed through one lane and started into the next (with no turn signal, mind you ).

Of course my left thumb stayed in the same position. I also could have pulled up very easily, but my right thumb was not going to be the first one to move.

Anyway, the Magic JUST cleared the curb... well most of it, anyway. The landing gear sheared off and the engine/firewall ended up about 15 feet in further than the plane.

'Tiz just a flesh wound!'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33756_4987.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	21535  
Old 11-04-2002, 08:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"So THAT'S what the left hand is for!"
Old 11-04-2002, 11:02 PM
MacAir

That's a shorter story than mine!

MacAir
Old 11-04-2002, 11:05 PM
MacAir

I'll bet you two to one that you were going straight, and it was the curb that moved, huh?

Sorry to hear of your new trick gone wrong, maybe next time you could board it with a hampster and film it for "Jackass 2".

That's a shorter story than mine! Oh yeah... just kidding about the hampster!

MacAir
Old 11-05-2002, 04:27 AM
CaMike

Where in San Diego are you flying? That's home for me (though I'm currently in NoCal) and am looking for someplace to fly when I come down at Christmas time. Sorry about the Magic...I'm repairing one for a friend that also lost the firewall...those seem pretty weak!! Hopefully you'll have it back up again soon.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:02 PM
MHawker

Hey CaMike,

Normally I fly out of the Palomar RC Flyers field. It's located right off the 15 and 76 (pala exit). It's very nice and a great club. That weekend, though, they were having a helicopter fun fly, so we went to a place out in Poway. It's just a spot on the side of the road. Kinda cool to fly in another place, though.

The Magic is just about done. Reinforced the firewall with fiberglass after I epoxied it back in. Should be nice and strong now!

Mike
Old 11-05-2002, 08:26 PM
CaMike

Mike,

I thought that looked like Poway...up off of Community road? I might have to check that area out when I'm down at Christmas as I'm not going to join another club for just 2 weeks of flying...Good luck with the Magic...I need to finish repairing my friends MAgic...The wings are done but The fuse was in much worse shape than yours was. What a fun plane though!! Well worth the $100 price tag. I thnk I'm also going to strengthen the top of the fuse where the leading edge of the wing butts up against that curved upper fuse area...that broke on his crash and I think that is just too important of an area to have only an inch or so of light ply. Hopefully that thumb issue will cure itself for the next flight!! Thanks!!
Mike
Old 11-06-2002, 04:29 AM
MHawker

Hey Mike,

I don't know about Community, but for sure it's off of Stowe, just south of Scripps Poway pkwy.

Just finished my Magic, and I'm whipping my thumb into submission until it learns to move to the right!

Later!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:28 PM
robert keigley
My Feedback: (1)

you guys are talking about the same place, I fly there too.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:49 AM
skerlock

Default CA Mike

Hey Mike..if you want to come out and fly at a field Not a Road where cars go by and there are light poles, etc....e-mail me before you come down and I'm sure I can have you fly as my guest (as long as your AMA)we fly at WeedWackers in lakeside...Plus if your plane caused damage at the Poway Site I don't Think AMA will cover it...I don't think its a recognized site..Just an offer...

[email protected]

scott
Old 11-08-2002, 02:25 AM
robert keigley

if you View Razor's photo gallery you will see some pic's
there is not much to hit out there...
Old 11-08-2002, 02:38 AM
MHawker

Except for that damn CURB! LOL!
Old 11-08-2002, 02:48 AM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Hey sherlock.....I fly in Poway also, but im coming down to your feild for the warbird fly-in on Sat with my Midwest AT-6. I need direction to your feild. Im coming from Vista.

Thanks, Ken
Old 11-08-2002, 04:33 AM
CaMike

Scott, I just might take you up on that offer. However, if I can find a Magic without the cement magnet (sorry Mike) I might also try the Poway location as it is closer to the family we stay with (Rancho Bernardo) when we are in town. I'll fly anywhere...landing is a different story though!! I would like to check out your field Scott. How often do you all fly (both in Lakesaide-Scott and in Poway-Mike, Ken and Robert)? Where in San Diego do you guys live? I grew up in Mira Mesa but have lived in OB, Poway and Rancho Bernardo. I also have family in Fallbrook and Rancho Bernardo.

Mike
Keep your wings level and watch out for those Curbs!! (Mike, I shouldn't give you such a hard time...I had a slight problem with transmitting a message from my brain to my thumb early in my flight days that caused me to come about 6 inches (no kidding) from landing my bipe in the door of my car. Luckily I was able to avoid the car and even avoided crashing all together!! However, I just about soiled myself in the process. I've also had some issues with attempting Gymnastic floor exercises upon landing...needless to say, my building skills are pretty refined!!)
Old 11-08-2002, 04:50 AM
robert keigley

I try to get out there on weekends about 08:30-12:00, my work schedule does not permit me go every weekend or I would, I never know when I will be there until the day before

hope to see you there...
Old 11-08-2002, 05:45 AM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Mike...we are out there every weekend Sat and Sunday including holidays. Most people come out there between 0800 and 1100 and some come back for evening flights.

Rob, you flying this weekend?
Ken
Old 11-08-2002, 03:28 PM
robert keigley

I think I will be there on saturday don't know about sunday
Old 11-08-2002, 05:17 PM
CaMike

From the looks of some of your pictures, it seems that quite a few people fly out there in Poway. I will be looking for you when I'm down at Christmas time...maybe I'll even have a new plane to fly!! Wishful thinking but isn't Christmas the time of year when wishes can come true? It will also depend on whether or not I can squeeze a plane into our car for the drive.

Mike
Old 11-08-2002, 06:01 PM
MHawker

Default I'm fine

CA Mike,

No worries. I can take (sniff, sniff) the abuse (sniff, sniff).

I'm in Rancho Bernardo, also. Be sure to let us know when you're in town.

Later.

Mike