Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Vector Flight Extra 300 66" bites the dust on maiden

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Vector Flight Extra 300 66" bites the dust on maiden

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vector Flight Extra 300 66" bites the dust on maiden

Ok, it's probably a radio problem. But still,,my story is this.

I didn't like the way it was shipped. It looked like a cheap packing job to me. Yeah, it wasn't damaged but..anyway, it took forever to put it together, reinforcing this, reinforcing that. Inventing a way to mount the tank. On and on and on. The engine wouldn't run. I didn't expect the thing to fly. It didn't. It took off straight and true. Went into a roll I couldn't stop. I climbed trying to get some altitude and get a handle on it. I pulled back on the throttle to slow it down. It just rolled again and dove straight in. Destroyed; fuse, tank, radio, wing. Saved; YS 110FZ, Hitec digital servos. Bye, Bye VF. I won't miss ya.

This is what it used to look like[:'(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31742.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	347824  
Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Bumstead
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Vector Flight Extra 300 66" bites the dust on maiden

Sorry about your plane. But there were some real issues that needed looking into before the plane took off. Sounds like 1) Lateral balance, 2) engine performance, 3) experience with planes that fly where they are pointed, 4) CG, a YS 1.10 is way over their recommended engine size. Too any happy VF flyers would have to question the crash as totally the plane's fault
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Sorry about your little wreak Charlie. I'll give ya a hundred bucks for thr YS
Ron
Old 11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
4 stroken ron

EDIT
Disregard this post, it was a duplicate
Ron
Old 11-03-2005, 12:37 AM
BasinBum

Sounds like the aileron servos were reversed.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Thor84

sounds like everything was screwed up with the radio ... " pulled back on the throttle to slow it down. It just rolled again and dove straight in."
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
MannyEdge
My Feedback: (9)

How could you say it was not packed well? I received my VF Edge and it was packed very well. Better than most companies!!! I can see that the directions are not the greatest, but plane is rock solid. I would have to disgree with Suitcase. I do not think it is VF fault, but pilot error[X(]. I think you should had a experience pilot look over the engine and the plane to see if it was suitable to fly and also it was safe to fly.

Too bad VF is closing its doors because they have great planes and great customer services. I hope they open their doors again in the future.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:21 PM
4 stroken ron

ORIGINAL: Manny5150

How could you say it was not packed well? I think you should had a experience pilot look over the engine and the plane to see if it was suitable to fly and also it was safe to fly.

How could YOU say THAT? How could you possibly know how suitcase prepares or inspects his planes? I have visited suitcase and his son-in-law RVator and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with what they are doing. They don't need you or anybody else to "look over" their planes.
Ron
Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I had that same plane and it is an amazing flyer. Mine was packaged well and assembled quikly. The plane is rock solid although a tad on the heavy side. I cant imagine what needed to be reinforced unless you put braces on the rudder and elevator as suggested in the manual. First flight of mine required a click or two of elevator and it tracked straight. I could put it at a hair under half throttle and it would literaly fly straight as long as I wanted. Great clean rolls and loops and sweet snaps.

The only bad thing was that if the motor died in flight it could be a handful to land deadstick. Overall I think its a fantastic plane. For the price you cant find better.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with one, but mine was fantastic. Every time I got it out and flew people at the club were asking me about it and telling me how much they liked it.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:58 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Why blame the plane on a poorly set up engine, unless of course it was in that poorly packed box along with the plane.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:45 AM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

OK somebody try and stop the madness. This is as bad as the post about the guy with the Tiger 2 balance problems......

For one thing, the way the plane was packed[:@] has absoutly nothing to do with the way it flew. I have heard nothing but great things about that plane and that company. Also you admitted that nothing was damaged.

Who did the pre flight check on this plane before fuel ever got close to the tank???

Plane and simple![X(] PILOT ERROR both in assembly and flight
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was there and it had been checked for balance,radio range checked and the engine was finally running great that was why he choose to fly it. This plane had been to the field twice before and not flown because of engine problems. I helped double check the controls before it was started. Suitcase has also flown my Goldberg Extra before he every flew his. I saw the plane roll left as he was climbing out. I don't know if it was a glitch or just more out of trim than he was able to hold. The reciever is busted so we will never know. The main thing is the engine was not hurt! I read about everyones praise of the VF models everyday and the company does provide great customer support but I just don't see how the models get so much praise. It is smaller than my Goldberg Extra yet the wing weights and lot more. The balsa in the tail was very soft and would not support the control horns. Oh well like they say everyone has their opinions.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Ross Kean

My guess is a snap on climbout with too much elevator. I found mine to be a little snappy with too much elevator throw - it does quite well with the recommended low rates for elevator. On the other hand, I found that the recommended high rate wasn't quite enough for the rudder.

I have to agree with the comment on soft balsa. I had to peel back the covering and put 1" square thin-ply hard points (both sides) for attachment of the rudder control horn. Not a big deal and probably didn't take more than a half-hour. Much better afterward.

Ross
Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
BasinBum

I like how Ron and RVator jump to suitcase's defense, good friends are hard to find. The only problem I have is with the fact that with all the good things said about this plane we know the design is good. With a half decent preflight we know the balance and throws are good. From what they have said we know suitcase has succesfully flown similar designs.

So what does that leave us? I still say the ailerons could have been reversed or maybe a plug came loose but some type of trouble with the radio has to be considered. Suitcase did start the thread with that assumption and I think it was a good one.

The other points mentioned, i.e packing, balsa engine problems...etc. have nothing to do with why the plane crashed.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 AM
bdavison

Two words....WARPED WING.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I wasn't there so I don't know. My "ASSUMPTION" is that all the changes added weight and maybe put the CG in an AFT location. The final snap may have been from low air speed. I had the roll thing happen to me a while back and it was reverested ailerons. I had it in the air for over a minute with the ailerons backwards. I flew inverted most of the time because I could not figure out what was wrong. Could have been the same condition.

Any crash is unfortunate. Just pick up the pieces and get the next project in the air.
Happy Flying.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I've flown all three VF 60 size models.... The Extra is a great flying model, the Edge is decent, and I didn't like the Sukhoi... but I don't get along with Sukhoi's any way, so that could have been just me.... I have an old ST75 on Extra, and it's a very stable model, but the CG is tricky (because of the somewhat high wing loading)....

Ok,

I crashed my sukhoi in a similar fashion, at first I thought the slow rolls to the left were "glitches" or "trim issues"... I fought that sucker like a madman... finally my Saito 91 quit, and "to me" the Sukhoi just wasn't responding to my inputs... after the crash (broke my brand new Saito, 3 servos, and the RX), I was doing the ole "Glitching", "Someone hit me", "RF" routine, when my long time flying friend said "You was in a stall the whole time, next time, LET GO OF THE ELEVATOR!!!!" "You had it buried from the first sign of stall"...

Basically, the Sukhoi was nosing over on our grass run, and I was having trouble taking off. It tried to nose over, and I put to much elevator to correct. It took off at a low airspeed, and I continued to hold elevator.... It never got to true flying speed....