Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

F-14 Tamecat

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

F-14 Tamecat

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
multicasting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-14 Tamecat

It just was too tame for me, so I go and put larger control surfaces on it, and hop it up to a Webra 61. Suddenly, I have this really wild and aerobatic heavy and awkward plane. It would easily flat spin. Going straight up you could suddenly flip it and it would be falling backward, then flip it end over end. It was just too wild. But it is also a very heavy aircraft. Frequently we would hear the airframe fluttering and making odd noises as it fell through the sky.

Well, today it finally happened. The wing pulled the mounts right out of the fuse today. And I wasn't even really pulling any Gs when it happened. Just cumulative I guess. Here is what happens when you put too much engine and controls on a trainer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76964.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	365083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25870.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	365084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34324.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	365085  
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: F-14 Tamecat

Been there, done that. I had a HOB P-51. Put a ST 45 add some extra wood here and there, larger surfaces and then treat it like a funfly. Didn't take to long to self destruct.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
multicasting

Here are some photos shortly after the build was finished some time back. The stock nose strut was far too weak, and was replaced with a fultz strut. The K&B was replaced with a Webra with custom exhaust. Wings had enlarged aelerons installed, and tail was modified for more throw. Modifications were made in August. The aircraft had about 2 dozen flights on it before it failed. During these flights, it was repeatedly inspected and re-enforced when a weakness was noticed. I guess I missed one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21658.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	366960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55764.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	366961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56731.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	366962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43261.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	366963  
Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
foxtrot
My Feedback: (2)

I used to have one-----didnt like the way it flew, retired it. had an OS.61FX on her. I then built a great planes F-14....A very nice flying plane---I dont understand why they discontinued it! flies like a pattern plane![img][/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 11:57 PM
multicasting

I think my biggest gripe was the painfully slow roll rate. Even after I doubled the aelerons, it still a hog. It weighed so much. But the lifting body and that huge flat bottom wing never had a problem getting it off the ground.

Bob

ORIGINAL: foxtrot

I used to have one-----didnt like the way it flew, retired it. had an OS.61FX on her. I then built a great planes F-14....A very nice flying plane---I dont understand why they discontinued it! flies like a pattern plane![img][/img]