Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

How to CRASH ?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!
View Poll Results: A poll
Engine Problems
5.13%
Radio / Receiver / Battery / Servo Problems
24.79%
Pilot Error
70.09%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

How to CRASH ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:56 AM
uby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to CRASH ?

How did you crash your aircraft(s) ?

or How do you think the crashes heppen ?

DUE TO :
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to CRASH ?

i knew i was going to crash when i had a piece of crap mds RUSSIAN made engine that wasn't reliable when i knew it!![:@][:@]thus it quit in mid runway low pass and crashed into a fence tearing it up so i brought out my JOHN DEERE 262GT tractor and put the plane on the ground started up the mower set the mower height to 0"proceeded to forward the mower over the plane lowered the blade and switced on the pto swith engaged the blades run the rpm up all the way and sobbed while it was mulching it. after wards the plane was good for flowerbed mulch or just fertilize my yard[] it was a star fire 40 nice little pattern plane due to spupid pilot decision making about the engine performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lets get this started right!!
I will say nearly all crashes are due to the pilot/builder/mechanic. Just no one wants to take blame.
All my crashes have been due to me. 20 or so years I managed to crunch a few. Oh sue I had pushrods come off, batteries go dead, servos strip, engines nearly come off, wings fold and all the other fun stuff.
But it all leads back to me. The only thing that is not truely the pilot/builder/mechanic's fault is a true radio hit, but 90% of the time that catagory is bull$*%@.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:45 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine have been pilot error all the way.

I planted a 27% Cap at the beginning of the season due to being to slow and to low for a tumble. Plane was somewhat underpowered but Cap's do not need allot of airspeed for a tumble, just some altitude for the recovery
Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
willflyforfood

If you dont crash your not flying! Its gonna happen, unfortunately. Mine have been a mix of some radio/ mechanical problems, and pilot error, fortunately I havent crashed tooooo many.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: uby

DUE TO :
I hit the ground.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

DUE TO :
Why not put boredom in as an option? Check out the funtana crash vid and the CapX vid.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

mostly pilot error[:@] But I have had a crash when the radio went out and 2 because of a dead stick.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

radio "going out" and dead stick are probably pilot, mechanic, or builder error. Mine have all been interference................between my brain and my thumbs.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: tsands

radio "going out" and dead stick are probably pilot, mechanic, or builder error. Mine have all been interference................between my brain and my thumbs.
Nope. It was not.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

DUE TO :
Let them leave the ground
Old 12-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Airbourne
My Feedback: (9)

Bad day for a Funtana
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13962.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	369545  
Old 12-14-2005, 02:18 PM
uby

The results are very differnt this time. Last time about an year ago. We had maximum due to engine failures then pilot error alomost near it and very few due to electronics failure.

Looks like the engine technology has improved and electrinics is going down. While as for the pilots ... they'll do what they created for !

Obviously at the end of each crash ... there is a pilot holding the remote.
But engine failure means the engine quit at an undesirable point, from where it was very difficult to recover, AND that crash would NOT have occured if the Engine did not gave problems.

Similarly electronics means ....... electronics ....... not your fault.
Like one day my plane's battery lead came off during flight and there i went deep into the ground ... now this wasn't my fault.
One day the throttle servo got stuck .... but i did bring the plane home in one piece (now that is not due to electronics) but If I had crashed here also ... maybe I would have said " It was the servo ! "
Old 12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
mwarren400

I would have to agree with CHassan that almost all crashes are the result of the pilot/builder/mechanic. I would disagree with UBY that engine problems and servo problems are not pilot error to a point. With the lone exception being shot down after following the proper transmitter frequency protocol for your field.

I've crashed due to stupidity...trying to maiden a plane I was not ready for...with no one around...after dialing in 70% exponential and having never used it before.

I've crashed due to a poorly tuned Engine ...whether it was too rich, too lean, low end, hole in fuel line or fuel tank...and said "eh...its good enough I'll fix it later"

I've crashed due to a control surface failure ....due to a repair that i though was "good enough" but knew in my heart I could have done better

I've crashed due to a control surface failure ....due to overspeeding the airframe with an overpowerd engine and NOT using flying wires because it was "good enough"

I've crashed due to disorientation....let the plane get too far away from me and was unable to determine the attitude of the aircraft in time to recover

I've been lucky that I didnt crash when a servo stripped....never use plastic gear servos on an ELEVATOR.

There are a mulitude of problems and crashes that can be avoided by following routine pre-flight, post-flight, periodic and seasonal inspections. If there is something that is just "good enough" for the next flight ....dont fly.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
bubbagates

A battery connector that comes apart is most definitely builder/mechanic error unless is was a connector inside the pack on one cell and you did not make the pack.

If it was a connector on the wire going to the switch, then it should have been shrink wrapped/taped/dental flossed together. If it was becasue it slipped out of the reciever then that too could have been prevented by wrapping the whole reciever in foam, making sure the foam in wrapped in such a way that the wires are help in by the foam.

No one is prefect and no plane/engine/radio is perfect, but most crashes can lead back to something that was done that could have been done differently

Remember this old saying:

Experience is what we get when we didn't get what we wanted

Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
uby

ORIGINAL: mwarren400

I would have to agree with CHassan that almost all crashes are the result of the pilot/builder/mechanic. I would disagree with UBY that engine problems and servo problems are not pilot error to a point. With the lone exception being shot down after following the proper transmitter frequency protocol for your field.

I've crashed due to stupidity...trying to maiden a plane I was not ready for...with no one around...after dialing in 70% exponential and having never used it before.

I've crashed due to a poorly tuned Engine ...whether it was too rich, too lean, low end, hole in fuel line or fuel tank...and said "eh...its good enough I'll fix it later"

I've crashed due to a control surface failure ....due to a repair that i though was "good enough" but knew in my heart I could have done better

I've crashed due to a control surface failure ....due to overspeeding the airframe with an overpowerd engine and NOT using flying wires because it was "good enough"

I've crashed due to disorientation....let the plane get too far away from me and was unable to determine the attitude of the aircraft in time to recover
How can you be wrong ?
You are very experienced in Crashing.

My last crash was due to that battery solder that was not good. It worked perfectly well on ground and after the crash as well , but the solder from the end cell had broken ... (NOT MY FAULT [>:] )

Last month my brother had 3 crashes .... bad month for him .......

One Engine Quit while the plane was in a low pass .... he had no option but to land in a farm house accross the wall.
Sencond one also Engine Quit, right after the take off.
Its not that he is not good at engines , he is more than 10 years of experience .... and very good at engines ... but no matter how good you are .... these things happen. The engines are perfect on ground (some really good engines) and you never know what happens to them at times.
The third and worst crash was when the plane blew up in level flight (manufacturer's Fault [:'(])

Everybody has bad patches in this hobby and bad days as well.

Curtis Young Blood had a bad patch for almost an year.
Mark Leseberg lost during the ETOC by speed control failure (not his fault , electric failure)

And the stories never end .......
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 PM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

i knew i was going to crash when i had a piece of crap mds RUSSIAN made engine that wasn't reliable when i knew it!![:@][:@]thus it quit in mid runway low pass and crashed into a fence tearing it up so i brought out my JOHN DEERE 262GT tractor and put the plane on the ground started up the mower set the mower height to 0"proceeded to forward the mower over the plane lowered the blade and switced on the pto swith engaged the blades run the rpm up all the way and sobbed while it was mulching it. after wards the plane was good for flowerbed mulch or just fertilize my yard[] it was a star fire 40 nice little pattern plane due to spupid pilot decision making about the engine performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good anger management class?? I'd hate to see what you'd do if that happened on a .60 sized plane!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM
MikeMc

I've concluded that given the fact that 100% of the time the ground is involved in my crashes I will no longer fly around ground. Ground = bad.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:15 AM
uby

ORIGINAL: MikeMc

I've concluded that given the fact that 100% of the time the ground is involved in my crashes I will no longer fly around ground. Ground = bad.
Agreed.
99% crashes are because the ground moved too close to the plane.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 AM
car147

First crash this year, last weekend with my banshee, Pilot error...... just pushing it too far........... i was down low and slow doin turns with lots of rudder, basicly stalled the wing.

ah well i know the limit now, not much damage, undercarriage is off, plus rudder... nearly ready to fly again.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: woops

DUE TO :
Why not put boredom in as an option? Check out the funtana crash vid and the CapX vid.
Yea but those were intentional [X(]