Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Best Crash Video?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Best Crash Video?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 PM
rcbif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Crash Video?

does any one watch "radio controlled hobbies" with that chris guy as the host? there was an episode in which they talked about turbine jets and they showed a short montoge of crash videos and one of the short clips had 2 turbine jets collide in mid air and they both were completely obliterated. That was the worst I've ever seen
Old 01-21-2006, 02:30 PM
rcbif

I found it but the link seems dead
http://www.richmondmfc.org/Video.htm
Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 AM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Wow..the F 117 video is sad ...on the bright side I totaly guessed how it was gonna crash
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 PM
bdavison

Yup...the real F-117 requires a sophisticated on-board avionics package to make it flyable. It is UNFLYABLE without the avionics package. It is unstable on all three axis by design.

It has a 4x redundant avionics package in it. In other words, when the pilot inputs right aileron, 4 signals are processed, if any 1 signal doesnt match the other 3, the avionics shuts down the ailerons deeming them "non-working". If all processes are locked out...its punch out time.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 PM
camdyson

Question is, what led these guys to even think it WOULD fly in the 1st place?! Looked alot like an F1 race boat lifting off.....similar result too.[:@]
Old 01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
petronio

Well, if you follow the link of the f-117 to the page there are more videos and in one of them they are actually flying the F-117, so they must have rebuilt it or whatever but the rc one actually flies and I don´t think they have a sophisticated computer system in it .Greetings
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM
bdavison

There is a pretty big difference between the full scale and a model. The model most likely has a airfoil shaped wing....the full scale aircraft is almost flat on the underside....

The Wright brothers had model gliders for years before the Kitty hawk flight that would fly well.....but when they built the full scale plane....different story.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: camdyson

Question is, what led these guys to even think it WOULD fly in the 1st place?! Looked alot like an F1 race boat lifting off.....similar result too.[:@]
Well, with this kind of investment, I don't think they jumped into it blindly. As Petronio mentioned, the F-117 had flown prior to this incident, and a smaller version prior to that. It does fly, and quite stable even without all the on-board computing.

Here is a link to a thread about it...http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...09/Vt56676.jpg
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
AQ500

That had to have been the maiden flight of the F-117 in that video. If you watch the video closely and then look at the picture countryboy posted you can see exactly why it crashed. Infact, I knew how it was going to crash before the flight.

If you watch the video and pay attention to the engine exhaust outlets you can see that they vector the thrust up by about 25 degrees. Between 52 and 55 seconds into the video you can really see it. There is no way the plane would fly controlably like that.

Notice in the photo:

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...09/Vt56676.jpg

You can see that the exhuast section has been modified to straighten the flow.

It would be interesting to know why the plane was originally built like that. Was it a mistake or was there a purpose behind it? (Maybe to hide the exhaust openings from below when flying overhead?)
Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
drunkenbushman

Yea i watch RC Hobbies but i find they Chris Chianelli does more on cars than planes. Its only on once a fortnight here in Aussie Land but i record it and watch every episode.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Midget

ORIGINAL: drunkenbushman

Yea i watch RC Hobbies but i find they Chris Chianelli does more on cars than planes. Its only on once a fortnight here in Aussie Land but i record it and watch every episode.
wow Ive never seen it, what channel is it please
and what time.
its most likely not on because your on the other side
of Australia
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 AM
bdavison

Over here in the states it comes on the DIY channel....not sure what time or date.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
petronio

Has anyone seen this one?, also one of my favourites. (You'd better download it with "Flashget" or whatever, heavy size).

http://andersh.privat.ldp.no/ventus2.wmv
Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: AQ500

That had to have been the maiden flight of the F-117 in that video. If you watch the video closely and then look at the picture countryboy posted you can see exactly why it crashed. Infact, I knew how it was going to crash before the flight.

If you watch the video and pay attention to the engine exhaust outlets you can see that they vector the thrust up by about 25 degrees. Between 52 and 55 seconds into the video you can really see it. There is no way the plane would fly controlably like that.

Notice in the photo:

It would be interesting to know why the plane was originally built like that. Was it a mistake or was there a purpose behind it? (Maybe to hide the exhaust openings from below when flying overhead?)
They had a smaller one which flew successfully many times. There was quite a bit of discussion at the time as to the cause of the crash. Some felt there was some issue with the radio which caused the ailerons and elevons to deflect up fully. I can see this when viewing frames from the rendered video. The original videographer disputed this alligation, but never posted high-res screen grabs to disspell that assertation.

Many in the jet forum, felt that for this to happen somehow pointed to some failing by the test pilot, whom I know to be a highly skilled stick and rudder man. Personally, I like to use video to help with the debriefing and find the root cause of a crash when they happen, but some don't. I don't feel pilot error to be the root, but some issue with radio interference, but we may never know.

Daren
Old 01-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also here in the states is another show called "Inside R/C" on the Outdoor Network. Ive only seen 2 episodes of that show dealing with planes but one of them was devoted to Warbirds over Delaware and it was well produced.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
camdyson

Amazing vid Petronio. Lack of good impact footage, so 7/10 "Nein nein nein"...

Are people seriously arguing over cause?! 9m sailplane high A/R in high speed high G manouever with a jet, video and smoke strapped on folds a wing and they're surprised??!!!!!.....it's a good 'ol wing clap that one. (I've flown gliders 25yrs and seen a few...)

Watch the wings when he rolls it if you want an idea of the bending loads on those wings.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
AQ500

ORIGINAL: Daren Savage

Notice in the photo:

They had a smaller one which flew successfully many times. There was quite a bit of discussion at the time as to the cause of the crash. Some felt there was some issue with the radio which caused the ailerons and elevons to deflect up fully. I can see this when viewing frames from the rendered video. The original videographer disputed this alligation, but never posted high-res screen grabs to disspell that assertation.

Many in the jet forum, felt that for this to happen somehow pointed to some failing by the test pilot, whom I know to be a highly skilled stick and rudder man. Personally, I like to use video to help with the debriefing and find the root cause of a crash when they happen, but some don't. I don't feel pilot error to be the root, but some issue with radio interference, but we may never know.

Daren
Understandable.

Not to beat a dead horse....but

I don't think it was the pilot's fault at all. The pilot most likely pulled back to rotate the plane and it over-rotated and suprised him. That would be why you can see the upward deflection of the elevon. He may have held it from for two reasons. Being suprised by the excessive pitching and maybe by habit. Sometimes a pilot will freeze when the plane does funny stuff, but in this case the pilot was much better than that. As it comes over the top most pilots would pull up to try and finish the loop and not pile into the ground out of instinct. So the upward deflection seen would not be out of the ordinary.

There are three reasons that I think the vectored thrust caused it. First the modification in the photo. It is evident that the exhaust manifold was modified, smoking gun. Second, the plane pitched up at a faster rate than I would think possible with elevons alone on a jet. As the plane looses air speed the plane continues to pitch around until it finally gets to where the speed is too low and the angle of attack too high and it falls to the side. Highly swept deltas like that can fly at a higher angle of attack than other planes (Watch the Concorde landing, pretty cool). The exhaust is coming out of the rear and there is no wash over the control surfaces, so at a low airspeed the control surfaces would have little authority. The vectored thrust would be in control. Third, there is no way that you could fly a model with the thrust vectored like that. That would be like mounting an engine on a any plane at a 25 degree angle upward or downward and then expecting it to fly well. All you need to do is find the cg and guesstimate the center of drag and then draw a thrust vector. You would see that the moment caused by this would make the plane impossible to have a controllable pitch. I'm sure the smaller one had different geometry or was not vectored as much and was severly nose heavy to counteract it. If it had somewhat like geometry and was seriously nose heavy to counteract it, there would have been a serious pitch trim problem and the controls would have not been very effective. But without seeing it there is no way to know.

Sorry, that's all I'll say. I'm sure it has been debated enough already.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:34 PM
spratrbo
My Feedback: (28)

I originally posted this on the 3D area but I want to see the memory of this plane live on as it died over there. I don't know if this qualifies as I did this on purpose. Still fun though.

[link=http://video.shutupandfly.com/funtana90.wmv]http://video.shutupandfly.com/funtana90.wmv[/link]

Enjoy
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

That ventus crash was totally predictable. After the first time I saw the wing flex, I knew what was coming. Too bad the pilot didn;t have the restraint to fly it like the glider it was. It was cool watching it do aerobatics, but way beyond it capabilities. It was cool, but a tragic, and avoidable ending.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:27 PM
bdavison

Hey Spratabo...next time you feel like destroying a perfectly good .90 funtana....feel free to mail it to me instead.

Nice crash though....surprisingly it did pretty well. Would have been better on concrete...then it sprays balsa everywhere.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
bdavison

Yeah, that ventus pilot had plenty of warning that he was pushing it WAY too hard. Right near the beginning of the video, he almost snapped it at level flight. All through the flight you could see the wings flexing ALOT. then when it finally pops, he standing there yelling "Nein, Nein, NEIN" (translated= No No NO)....well DUH man.

Rule number 142. When the wings are flexing, the spars are snapping.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:04 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Back to the F-117, this plane had been flown prior to this video. The change made was the thrust deflectors. This crash was discussed in the jet forum for a long time. If you would like to read about it just do a search on f-117 in the jet forum,

Dave

The Kangaroo gets my vote too.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

Understandable.

Not to beat a dead horse....but

I don't think it was the pilot's fault at all. The pilot most likely pulled back to rotate the plane and it over-rotated and suprised him. That would be why you can see the upward deflection of the elevon. He may have held it from for two reasons. Being suprised by the excessive pitching and maybe by habit. Sometimes a pilot will freeze when the plane does funny stuff, but in this case the pilot was much better than that. As it comes over the top most pilots would pull up to try and finish the loop and not pile into the ground out of instinct. So the upward deflection seen would not be out of the ordinary.

There are three reasons that I think the vectored thrust caused it. First the modification in the photo. It is evident that the exhaust manifold was modified, smoking gun. Second, the plane pitched up at a faster rate than I would think possible with elevons alone on a jet. As the plane looses air speed the plane continues to pitch around until it finally gets to where the speed is too low and the angle of attack too high and it falls to the side. Highly swept deltas like that can fly at a higher angle of attack than other planes (Watch the Concorde landing, pretty cool). The exhaust is coming out of the rear and there is no wash over the control surfaces, so at a low airspeed the control surfaces would have little authority. The vectored thrust would be in control. Third, there is no way that you could fly a model with the thrust vectored like that. That would be like mounting an engine on a any plane at a 25 degree angle upward or downward and then expecting it to fly well. All you need to do is find the cg and guesstimate the center of drag and then draw a thrust vector. You would see that the moment caused by this would make the plane impossible to have a controllable pitch. I'm sure the smaller one had different geometry or was not vectored as much and was severly nose heavy to counteract it. If it had somewhat like geometry and was seriously nose heavy to counteract it, there would have been a serious pitch trim problem and the controls would have not been very effective. But without seeing it there is no way to know.

Sorry, that's all I'll say. I'm sure it has been debated enough already.
Interesting thoughts. Watching the F-117 video, I also noticed that there were actually two cameras shooting the take-off from different angles. From the second camera, you can see that the model not only went up, but to the plane's left during it's loopty-loop, causing it to land on the edge of the runway.

Daren
Old 01-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Not a total crash but still fun to watch.
My first landing a few years ago on a PCM AV8R

http://www.clubfield.com/av8rcrash.MPG
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard...and I do mean hard, wing over.

Author Unknown

http://www.teamrcpilot.com/vids/p38crash.wmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.