Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

OUCH that hurts!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

OUCH that hurts!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Shelby1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OUCH that hurts!!

Hey All,
I want to relate an accident that happpened at the field today. A flying buddy had recently purchased a used Areoworks Edge 540 and after getting a few bugs worked out lastnight we headed out to the field. We started the motor and began to fine tune it and it died at full throttle. The previous owner had installed one of those 2 way fuelers, so we took that out of the equation and started ut again, and again it died at full throttle. To make a long story short after many attempts and fixes to get the motor running correctly my friend was reaching over the prop to remove the glow ignitor(which we have done a thousand times) and didn't over reach far enough and got cut by the prop. After using our club's 1st aid kit I packed him in my PU and hauled ass to the nearest hospital.

Twenty stitches later he was out and doing fine. It was a frustrating day that turned for the worse, and we should have packed it up and went home after it quit being fun.

Hope this helps put things in perspective,
Chris
Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 PM
sparky577

Default RE: OUCH that hurts!!

Sorry to hear, I hope he comes out alright. Hopefully it only takes one bite to learn.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Dr1Driver

To make a long story short after many attempts and fixes to get the motor running correctly my friend was reaching over the prop to remove the glow ignitor(which we have done a thousand times)

And why the heck was he IN FRONT of the engine while it was running? Stupid! And that IS a good lesson: Just because you've dont it "a thousand times" doesn't mean something can't happen.

Dr.1
Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 AM
itspuddingtime00

I'm guilty of occaisionally reaching over the prop right after startup to get the glow ignitor off on smaller planes. I do it while standing so my arm isn't right over the prop, but I still know it's a bad habit. I usually don't even think about it when I do it. Sounds like it was pretty bad. Lesson learned I guess.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

That's good you were there to take him to the hospital.I commented on a thread several months ago about being in front of the plane to start it and I guess I come off as a smart a#$.I really didn't mean to.Anyway Thursday I was starting a plane I had recently changed exhaust system on and increased prop size to quiten the motor down.I followed the same procedure as I always have without thinking through that my arm was now in a different location and the prop was now a 1/2" longer.As soon as I applied the starter and the motor caught my wrist was slit right where it aaaain't susposed to be slit.Luckily there was someone there to help apply a compression bandage to get me to the emergency room.It only took 4 stitches for mine.[:@]
Now,I humbley ask what is the safest way to start the engine?How in the heck do you apply an electric starter with out holding on to the plane somewhere?[]
Glad your buddy is ok and I hope he is back on the sticks,it took me a couple of days.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Dr1Driver

If at all possible, have a helper. If not, use a starting stooge or anchor. If THAT'S not possible, kneel slightly to the side of the engine and hold the fuselage about the area of the leading edge of the wing. Use your electric starter or chicken stick to crank the engine. Once it's running, immediately move to the rear of the prop, or CAREFULLY turn the plane around. NOW take the glow starter off and make any adjustments needed.

Dr.1
Old 08-28-2006, 01:21 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Kneeling to the side of the engine is how I have been starting them.I tried to use the ground stands but they will not hold the plane from pushing back when the starter is applied.I do use a helper when I can.This time though I DIDN'T pay close enough attention to the angle my arm was in.Thanks for the info.I feel like a MORON![:@]
Old 08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
coolbean

I once had an ignitor pop off, fall into the prop and hit me in the eye. Now I always start my plane with as little throttle as possible and I grab the ignitor as soon as possible. Yes that means reaching over the prop, but keeping my hand out of the prop is something I control. Having the ignitor pop off is out of my control.. I would rather the former vs the latter no matter which you tell me is more dangerous.

As far as kneeling to the side... I hope you are kneeling next to the right side (as you look at the nose when you start it) If the engine kicks and throws the prop, they go left)
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Dr1Driver

Thanks for the info.I feel like a MORON!

You're not a moron unless you do it again.

When I first started in R/C, I had a Picco, a VERY high compression Italian .45 engine. While idly flipping it by hand one day, it kicked back and bit my fingernail HARD, even though the glow igniter wasn't attached. I went out the next day and bought a battery and electric starter. I haven't stuck my fingers in a prop since. I use an electric starter, a chicken stick, or a recoil starter.

Dr.1
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Shelby1

Hey Dr. what is a recoil starter, never heard of that ?

Chris
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember my third plane, an Ace 4-60 with an Enya .60 4stroke. The glow plug sort of angled off to the front, and you really had to watch out while removing the ignitor.

One day, the senior club member came over to watch me start up, and as soon as the Enya started he reached from behind to remove my ignitor - and stuck his thumb right in the prop, bled like the dickens. I had some Neosporin and bandaids, and got him fixed up, he refused a ride to the doctor.

Now I teach students, and I make them start the plane and walk around behind the prop to remove the ignitor. Most of them let that develop into a habit, and some have even remarked to others who got bit "Dave always made me walk around behind the prop to get the glostarter."

It can happen to anybody, tho, just takes a couple seconds in mistake land. I have scars of my own to attest. Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Dr1Driver

Shelby1,

Bennet's makes recoil starters for the gasoline engines. They use a heavy spring and one-way bearing attached to the rear crankshaft. The only option for glow engines to my knowledge is an electric starter or chicken stick. Fingers are NOT optional. [8D]

Dr.1
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

OUCH is right! Man, that sucks! I always cringe at the thought of getting something caught in one of my props. Hope your bro is alright. Thanks for the reminder to NOT get laxed with these things.

Shayne
Old 08-29-2006, 04:59 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

I kneel on the right wing side of the plane.And I also try to start with a low throttle setting.This always works if you get a good prime.I then get up and walk behind the plane to get my glow driver.I will NEVER again make changes in my setup without doing a thorough safety analysis to see where my body will be on startup and running!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Dr1Driver

I will NEVER again make changes in my setup without doing a thorough safety analysis

Good idea, Banjo. Develop a routine and stick to it. I don't let people talk to me when I'm starting an engine, or during takeoff and landing. That helps a lot. And to echo your thoughts, anytime you change something, evaluate the new setup BEFORE cranking or flying anything. Never change more than one thing at a time, too.

Dr.1
Old 08-29-2006, 07:15 AM
wc524

I can attest to all your worries about props almost hitting your hand, better yet your whole body. I was starting my WH Yak with a DA-50 swinging a 22x10 and I forgot to change models in my Tx. As soon as she started up she went to full throttle (idle on my other planes), and then nosed over into the tarmac. Scared the S%*^ out of me.....I could just see that 22" prop eating into my arm. Always check EVERYTHING before even starting the engine. I could have avoided wasting $30 on that prop by just switching my Tx Model. Could have been worse.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
tlgibson97

Back when I was young and ignorant with my first plane I tried adjusting the low speed needle while the engine was running. That was the only time I got bit and I dont adhust the low speed needle with the engine running any more. Accidents happen and if you are lucky they arent too bad. All you can do is learn from your mistakes and learn from othes' mistakes also. Thats why I read these threads.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM
CDN-uavpilot
My Feedback: (2)

At our club, we use padded 0.5 dia. by 30 in. long steel or aluminum rods that are anchored into the ground like tent pegs. The two rods are set far enough apart so that the fuselage can roll between the rods. The plane will stop rolling forward once the wings come in contact with the rods.

I usually connnect the glow plug driver, move in front of the plane with the transmitter to start it. I fly 40-sized planes so I can reach around the prop and hold onto the fuselage when using the starter. After the engine gets going, I keep my hand out of the prop region when I let go of the fuselage. I go around the back to remove the driver.