Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Alcoholism

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 PM
LonestarMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alcoholism

LIVE AND LET LIVE.....
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Arrow IV

LS,
I agree to some extent. Live and let Live applies to civilized behavior. Man is the most destructive thing on the planet and sometimes he needs to be smacked with reality.

See how easy that was... four words... clear as a bell!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM
LonestarMan

Like the commercial says "We all do dumb things........" Thanx, Rob[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
shag555

Maybe the next time the drunk shows up... Do a little **cking with him and take his glow igniter... While he's looking for it in his truck, slobbering all over the carpet, looking under the seats for it, steal his transmitter too! Toss the plane up on the club house roof! He'll wonder how the hell he landed it there, and maybe he'll even realize he's too drunk to even drive, let alone fly.

I see some potential rationalizing that drinking is ok when flying... B.S.

Do you guys keep a log as to when you fly??? Check the log out and find out when the drunk is flying... Fly on days that he isn't there, or again, maybe you want to fly on days that he is there to F with him. - find out what channel he's on and SHOOT HIM DOWN.

MPB
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LonestarMan, I've re-read your posts and I can't get a handle on what you're saying. Are you saying that one should leave a drunk pilot alone and let him continue to fly? If so, why?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Arrow IV

Shag,
Your a sick puppy... I love it, Game ON!!!

Rain I feal ya man!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
shag555

Hey - The guy's gonna run out of airplanes eventually... Then he can sit in the bar.

MPB
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 PM
shag555

I come from a coal mining town located in Western Pennsylvania. Believe me, I know all too well about drinking... I'm 50% Pol, and 50% Russian, and there used to be 14 bars within a 6 mile stretch of road. The insurance companies dubbed it (at one time during the late 80's) as THE WORST stretch of road for alcohol related accidents (mostly hospital and deaths), in the country.

I don't live there anymore, and I've since grown up and have 5 kids... Now I'm trying to make sure that they use their heads with Booze. It'll get you in a ton of trouble in a hurry.

An alternative to shooting him down is making him realize what his out-of-control plane would do to a kid, and how you and the kid's father would ensure that he had the same fate in a controlled (long painful) environment.

MPB
Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Arrow IV

AMEN...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Flak

Gentlemen,
OK, you have been having some fun here, but let's take a look at reality. There are AMA rules and there is the Law. Public Intoxication and operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime. This is something you can be arrested and incarcerated for. This is to prevent public endangerment. I have taken the keys from more than one after I knew they had too much to drink and yes, I drove them home. I even tucked in the blanky for a couple of them. Yes, they were mad at me at the time, but they thanked me later. I have also put folks in jail who needed to be there. I'm not going to worry about losing the field as a result of calling the police for a crime that is being committed! This reminds me of the countless citizens who have vital information that would help solve a crime and bring a criminal to justice, but they just don't wish to get "Involved". NS, I suggest you get a cell phone. They don't cost much and can be very helpful. BTW, the Vietnam Era Vet thing, not all of us have issues. Many of us are strong viable citizens who still serve our country in one way or another.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 AM
ArCeeFlyer

I wonder how many people would call the police if they saw an armed bank robbery taking place. I bet most couldn't wait to hit that 911 and feel heroic for calling it in. The same should go for seeing someone about to hit the road drunk. Who knows whose life you may save and that should make one feel pretty heroic as well. The Club situation takes a back seat. They can deal with the aftermath later.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Well, there was somebody else there with him when I left. Again, I am hoping he got a ride home. I do know that the two spent a considerable amount of time talking, and I was told by the other guy (the one who was sober) that the rangers go into the park to close the place after dark, and that I should head out. Maybe he was trying to stall the intoxicated driver until they came out to close the place, which was what I was hoping for anyway. It would be too bad for him if he ended up in jail, but he would have probably been better off there anyway.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 AM
LonestarMan

Rain, I'm not advocating any kind of bahavior associated w/ alcohol and flyin'. Just like everything else, they don't mix. My gist of this whole thread has to do w/ balancing a delicate situation between two people(s). I'll bet this guy got this idea from another "club" member. I am not sure if this is a organized "club" or not. Obviously ,this guy has seen other members break the rules; he just decided to pick this one. My point is if you gonna enforce the rules, enforce them all the time, on everybody, top to bottom, noob or experienced, Clique or No Clique, etc.. Also maybe this guy is having problems at home, shoot I don't know. If you know anything about Alcoholism you will probaly find 9 out of 10 times, people use it as a coping mechanism for thier issues, real or imaged and I will close my comments by saying if this is the "club" I think it is, then somebody including NFS should've seen this coming.......[&o] Thanx,Rob...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
rainedave

Ok, Rob, I see your point, now. I agree with you that if a rule is going to be put in place it should apply to everyone, all of the time. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Flak

There are many people in jails in prisons world wide who chose alcohol and drugs to resolve their problems and that's where they are. Sad, but true. There are many loved ones in cemeteries, because someone decided to drink and drive, drink and commit acts of violance, etc... There may be fewer suffer at the hands of these inconsiderate beings if more people would be responsible and take the appropriate action, like taking someone's car keys, or intervieniing when necessary. This is not a delicate issue, it's someone making the wrong choices and jeopardizing the safety of others. Not to mention making a bad name for the people in the club associated with that flying field. When I'm at my field, I'm not afraid to enforce the rules and I'm sure not afraid to enforce the law. Let a bully have his way, and he'll do his best to rule over you. Don't tread on me!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
LonestarMan

Thank you for your support sir; you've been quite gracious!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif][8D]
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
rjm1982

Lonestar...get a cell phone. Dont take this the wrong way, but its absolutely idiotic to be at an RC field with no phones around. Someone gets hurt, then what, a bunch of untrained people try to get them in a car, can do more damage than good?

Its really bad to be around planes with no means of contact in short order.

As for the drunk, you just made him someone else's problem rather than dealing with it.

And as for "alchoholism"...I have a family history of it...i have friends -and- family who deal with it, and I dont feel the least bit sorry for ANY of them.

Its a choice, you drink or you don't. No boo-hoo from me, no compasion, no caring. A drunk is a drunk, regarless of why he drinks. If your life is so worthless that you have to drown yourself in liquor, eat a bullet and reduce the collateral damage.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Arrow IV

ORIGINAL: rjm1982

Its a choice, you drink or you don't. No boo-hoo from me, no compasion, no caring. A drunk is a drunk, regarless of why he drinks. If your life is so worthless that you have to drown yourself in liquor, eat a bullet and reduce the collateral damage.

RJM,
Most of the people you are talking about DON'T have a choice. Not in the way you are suggesting. I know your gonna tell me they can just quit or whatever... It's not that simple, do you think people want to be addicts?
That's all beside the point that this guy is out there putting people in harms way and to date it is still going on!!! Someone needs to get to work, its a little out of my range.

PS Flak I should have said some of the Vietnam Vets have some issues, didn't want to group yall together. Point being, I thank you for your service and give my utmost respect.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
LonestarMan

After RJM's post I was totally speechless.....[]... Rob
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
MerlinL14

You need to start going to church or something, sounds like you have issues of your own!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
NCIS

If you drink or have been drinking and you fly at our club, you are kicked out of the club and banned from the field. Drinking and flying don't mix. "0 Tolerance"

Gibbs

Old 09-21-2006, 03:42 PM
rjm1982

ORIGINAL: MerlinL14

You need to start going to church or something, sounds like you have issues of your own!!!!
If "personal responsibility" is an issue, then yeah, I have issues.

There are WAY too many opportunities for alchoholics to take responsibility and fix their problem. You arent born an alchoholic, you become one. Some people are more prone to it, but in the end, they complete the problem themselves.

As far as the latter part of that statement, I'll stand behind it. Alchoholics hurt A LOT of people. Not just the risk of danger in driving, etc...but emotional damage to those around them. I have no problem with drinking, if you can control it. If you can't, then don't drink. You have to go to the store or the bar to get it, its not growing in your backyard...so don't go to the store or the bar, problem solved.

its an addiction like every other one. If you arent stong enough to overcome it, its your problem, not the alchohol and definatly not the problem of everyone around you.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 PM
rainedave

rjm1982, it's a darn good thing the medical profession doesn't share your angle. I'm sorry there's been a lot of hurt in your family (it's in my family, too) and I'm more sorry it's made you so bitter.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 AM
MerlinL14

As far as the latter part of that statement, I'll stand behind it. Alchoholics hurt A LOT of people. Not just the risk of danger in driving, etc...but emotional damage to those around them.
As do teenagers, the mentally ill and other 'labeled' members of our society. Feed 'em all a bullet and solve the world's problem steriotypical gene pool. Some people just need help!!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Hello,my name is Rodney and I'm an alcoholic.This sport is what saved me from this disease.I am not going to let anyone ruin this sport for me with irresponsibility.As long as I pay my dues with AMA and my local club I expect to have an alcohol free sky just as I am expecting to have an alcohol free road to drive my car on.If I can't have that I would call the cops in and let them do their job to gauranty that I can have that.Drink if you must,but do it somewhere that isn't going to hurt someone besides yourself.23 months sober.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.