Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

UPDATE Hate it when the expiration date matches the maiden..

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

UPDATE Hate it when the expiration date matches the maiden..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Hate it when the expiration date matches the maiden..

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

I've been flying RC for 20 years and was asked to help two new young guyslast summer to learn to fly both had these Aplha trainer planes. After a good field inspection both planes had my flight ready approval. Took one up and I too had trouble with finding the level trim so time to land and find out why.

This is the BIGGEST POINT IN THIS THREAD!!!

1. If on your maiden flight you cannot trim your plane or it has constantly changing trimming needs LAND IMMEDIATLEY!!!

2. If on any flight after the triming flight, the trim is off, LAND IMMEDIATELY!!!

This is likely the only clue you'll get before your wings come off, your aileron gets loose, your elevator gets loose..etc...

Raf
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 AM
troposcuba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

I've been flying RC for 20 years and was asked to help two new young guyslast summer to learn to fly both had these Aplha trainer planes. After a good field inspection both planes had my flight ready approval. Took one up and I too had trouble with finding the level trim so time to land and find out why.

This is the BIGGEST POINT IN THIS THREAD!!!

1. If on your maiden flight you cannot trim your plane or it has constantly changing trimming needs LAND IMMEDIATLEY!!!

2. If on any flight after the triming flight, the trim is off, LAND IMMEDIATELY!!!

This is likely the only clue you'll get before your wings come off, your aileron gets loose, your elevator gets loose..etc...

Raf
now that i have some experience i could not agree with you more. in fact the guy that origionally took the plane up for me had many years experience and is an excellent pilot. right about the time he said he could not trim it and was turning on to his final approach is when the wing failed.

but fwiw many lessons were taken away from that day and things have gone well since.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
crashdummy6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't buy the explanation for this crash. On a trimming flight, you mean to tell me, the plane was tortured enough to induce the required centrifugal forces required to pull the wings apart. I just can't see it. I have a Sig SE in which the wings are held together with ONE rubber band. For some reason those wings have never suddenly flew off during a fast roll in which I am sure the forces were ten times greater than this plane suffered. Another poster in this thread explained the forces in action, and I think he is right.