Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Not a good Day...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Not a good Day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Arrow IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a good Day...

I think someone is gonna have to write a BIG check...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92830.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	544436  
Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Not a good Day...

Yep,

seen a similiar pic last year. Just goes to show you what a prop will do to anything it comes in contact with
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
LBB_Flyer

The Mythbusters did a show on that pic. They proved it was real and even showed a plane being shredded in that same manner by a prop.

Episode 45: Shredded Plane
Adam and Jamie have been emailed a photo of a light plane, with precise, clean tears on the side. Is the photo genuine and what caused the carnage? Was it the jilted lover, who took to her ex's plane with a chainsaw and a taste for vengeance? Or did the propeller of another aircraft somehow do all that damage?
premiere: Jan. 18, 2006
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
aussiesteve

I can vouch for the fact that it is real, I was there when it happened.

It happened at Parafield airport , South Australia on August 26 2001 when a pilot got out and hand started his plane (no chocks and apparently the park wasn't set) and it got away from him. The one in the photo was one of five planes that got damaged (4 of which belonged to a flying school and the one pictured belonged to a University).

And yes, there was big cheques written. The pilot involved also got sued for a heap of money by the flying school and he counterclaimed the aircraft manufacturer stating that the park brake had failed.

Here's a link to a magazine article published by CASA the governing body of Aviation at the time in Oz.

[link]http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2001/sep/10-13.pdf[/link]

Actually the story about the hand started plane is really a hoax - the plane in the photo was really attacked by a flock of really hungry Kangaroos and Koalas who just wanted to eat the passengers
Old 10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you know the one thing about that picture that I always wondered about.....did the prop miss the stab/elevator? or did it chew through all that also? I have never seen the horizontal surface pics, and the mythbuster plane didn't have a complete tail on it..
Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 PM
aussiesteve

The tail of the plane in the pic was damaged. this was the last plane hit. note the damage on the wing behind the engine - that's where the engine finally stopped. Some of the damage to the Warriors was caused by "Wing Clashes" and other was caused by Prop Strikes. The pilot tried to hold on to the tail of the Saratoga as it ran away, consider the distance between the blade strikes and think about the ground speed - musta been a cool kind of ride!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20675.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	544707  
Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Arrow IV

Food,
The reason you don't see the horz/stab in there is because its a "T" tail. Its up there high enough the prop never had a chance to hit it. You can see in the picture in the upper left corner it layin over to the pilot side. Actually if it had a straight tail maybe it wouldn't have totalled the plane. Either way I hate seeing them go to the grave yard!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:23 AM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

The tail of the plane in the pic was damaged. this was the last plane hit. note the damage on the wing behind the engine - that's where the engine finally stopped. Some of the damage to the Warriors was caused by "Wing Clashes" and other was caused by Prop Strikes. The pilot tried to hold on to the tail of the Saratoga as it ran away, consider the distance between the blade strikes and think about the ground speed - musta been a cool kind of ride!
It's an interesting photo, it almost looks like it went through a food slicer! So, do you have a larger photo? I clicked on the thumbnail, but only got another thumbnail which opened up in another window.

NorfolkSouthern