Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

What to do with the pieces...?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

What to do with the pieces...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with the pieces...?

Having crashed a number of times I find I do several things with the pieces/parts.
Sometimes I immediately strip the useful stuff and let it sit around to see if any club members want the remains.
Sometimes it just goes into the basement with everything the way it was at the crash site till I decide what to do with it.
Sometimes I'll keep a wing or tail section as a reminder or memorial.
By far the best way I have found to deal with a catastrophic crash is strip it immediately at the field. (This helps with the ensuing depression by keeping you busy.) After stripping, find a decent area and pile the remains. Add a couple squirts of glow fuel or other combustible substance-paper towels work just as well. Call a few friends around. Set it ablaze.
The funeral pyre act seems a fitting end for a dearly beloved's expiration. As the flames slowly rise to their zenith and eventually diminish, very few glowing embers remain. (Balsa, lite-ply, and covering burn up to virtually nothing.)
A last blaze of glory somehow seems fitting and brings closure to my mind. It also serves as a way for you and others close to the plane to pay your final respects.

The burning barrel doesn't seem as fitting since it is enclosed and your plane's final existence should be in the open air where it and you were happiest.

Try it. It helps to say good-bye.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:53 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default ayup

http://www.rcuniverse.com/attachment...&postid=510784
Old 01-19-2003, 02:37 AM
Live Wire

STAR A MUSEUM.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:10 AM
robb_h
My Feedback: (1)

I had a Tiger 2 with a Supertigre 49 that kept quitting without warning. I finally put it in after it flamed out in a bad spot. I immediately went home, burned the plane, and threw the engine in the garbage. I haven't had a problem with it since!

The engine served me faithfully for years, and probably had over a 100 hours on it. I guess I got my money's worth out of it.

Robb H.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:09 AM
phayd

Just remember to keep away from the fumes.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:22 PM
BalsaBum

Mount the usually unscathed tail on a plaque, like an animal head.
Then hang your "trophies" in your workshop to remined you what a great time your having while learning the mysteries of this relaxing sport !
Old 01-20-2003, 06:26 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

First remove all real valuable equipment and replace with expendable servo's, rx, bat ect then tape and glue the remains as close to original as possible regular ole shelf paper will work to cover large areas. tape a rock or sock full of sand to the motor mount to maintain cg. Then have another pilot tow it up as high as you can get it release it then try to plant it straight up and down into a garbage can placed on the other side of the runway. This can also be a fun-fly event.
But make sure you have a video camera handy so the rest of us can enjoy.
Some times you have to save up parts from two or three different crashes to get a flyable carcass.

Later Jim