Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
 Plane finds pipe on edge of runway. >

Plane finds pipe on edge of runway.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Plane finds pipe on edge of runway.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane finds pipe on edge of runway.

Tower Uproar .40

I'm glad to say that this will be an easy fix but it did prematurely end my flying for the day.

Coming in for a landing, I was lined up at the very edge of the runway where the grass transitions into tallish weeds and generally -not plane friendly- terrain. Just before touchdown I correct with rudder to land in the grass, and just at that moment my plane makes this horrible breaking sound, and comes to almost an immediate stop. I was worried and releaved at the same time cause from where I was, the plane looked totally fine, but the sound of something breaking was still in vivid memory.

As I was walking out to the plane I realized for the first time that every 15' or so along the edge of the runway, there were short (maybe 3" tall) sections of PVC pipe sticking out of the ground. Some with very jagged edges. Turns out my plane connected with one of these pipes ripping a small hole in the covering along the left wing, and breaking a few unused arms off the aileron servo control horn -- which is what made the awful noise. My plane was not the only thing to break though; I found a small piece of PVC pipe rattling around inside the wing too! So I have a cool (I think) souvenir from this crash!

I think I'm lucky the pipe hit where it did, right in the strongest part of the wing where the servo mounts. I'm also lucky that the servo horns absorbed most of the impact.

I could of kept flying if I had some tape to repair the covering!!

Man this is fun.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Plane finds pipe on edge of runway.

I'd check that servo over real well. Probably open the tear in the covering, and take a real good look in there just to be sure.

But that's just me.

Egor
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Plane finds pipe on edge of runway.

well you're lucky. I crashed my plane at take off. I still dunno what happend, i got it off the ground then with out a cross wind it banked hard left and went vertical smashed into the ground at an estimated 35-45 mph. real bummer because i am only 13 and that was my instructors/friends before he died. If i can get some pics i will show you. I dont think it will ever fly again. [&o]