Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding a VMAR Tomahawk

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Rebuilding a VMAR Tomahawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM
manks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a VMAR Tomahawk

I was at the field today, great day all the way around, maybe 75 degrees, clear blue skys and very moderate winds. I had two planes at the field - my trainer and a new Cub that I was going to get up for the first time.

I got three good flights on the trainer, but was not able to get the Cub in the air. One of the guys at the field was going to maiden his VMAR Tomahawk, a nice little 60 low wing with a T Tail. Well the Maiden did not go so well, the owners son, one of the club instructors tried to take it up, it was ugly, the plane was moving pretty well, tried to get into the air, then the right wing dropped, hit the ground and it cartwheeled. The tail broke off, the left wing snapped, left gear gone, fire wall snapped, about 30 pieces all over the ground.

Well here is my problem, I went over to take a look, and said, now worries, that is totally fixable, he says - I hate building, if you would like it, its yours!

I said are you sure????

He said yes, so I took the plane. There is a bit of work to be done, but really the plane is a pretty easy fix. Here is my question, this is a nice guy at the club, and his son is a great guy as well, my initial thought is to fix the plane over next few weeks (work is very busy right now so time is tight) and give it back to the Dad - however, looking at the plane, I really like it! I am torn.

If he guy was not as nice as he is I would not be so torn, I thanked him a great deal and he was very happy that my 7 year old son was so happy to get this plane, but I am thinking how much I would apperciate someone fixing a plane for me. What do you guys think, should I apperciate the gift, or get this thing ready for the air and give it back to him?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding a VMAR Tomahawk

If I were you, and I had the time to invest, it would be a very nice act to return the fixed aircraft. I mean, if I fixed it and kept it, I would never feel right flying it with the previous owners around. However, it was given to you willingly. Tough call.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate.
If I were you I would fix it & give it back, believe me the Vmar Tomahawk is not a great plane, They can be a pig to take off, very weak tail fin, as you noticed, & not much fun to fly.
Just my observations from helping a young fella at our field that has one.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:30 PM
manks

I think this is one of those things that has to pass the "sniff" test, if something smells wrong it usually is, and if it smells right - same thing. To me it does not feel "wrong" to keep the plane, but it feels right to fix it, and give it back. One thing I have found in this hobby is that it circles around helping others - today I gave a couple of old models to people at the club, now I will get that plane ready for the air again and give it back to the rightfull owner. It just feels like the right thing to do. Every time I will see it at the field or in the air I will feel good, any my 7 year old boy will get a good lesson in how to treat people the way you would like to be treated.

I will post some photos of the progress of the repair. There does not seem to be that much of a challenge, some epoxy on the tail, and bit of cutting and fitting on the wing, plus a new firewall and some fiberglass and epoxy on the cowl and she will be good to go!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 PM
manks7477

I have not been too involved for the past few weeks fixing the plane, but have played with it a bit . Most of the stuff is done, fixing the wing tips is the biggest problem - they were pretty banged up.

I went over the plane pretty well, there was some cracking and other damage that I had to look for, but nothing that you would not expect. I still have to join the wing - that is the biggest challenge, I will epoxy and use som fiberglass to reinforce. Once I get that done, I will sand, recover, draw some lines to make it blend in with the rest of the covering and do a final check. Then I will find the guy who gave it to me and return it to him, ready to take to the air again.

Cheers

manks