Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
 Stryker strikes hard, opened like an egg >

Stryker strikes hard, opened like an egg

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Stryker strikes hard, opened like an egg

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stryker strikes hard, opened like an egg

Stryker 27 C, First flight was enjoyable, but like any other elevon controlled plane, handling is limited. I had a glitch in the first flight and didn't think too much of it, unfamiliar with BEC / electric airplanes. I landed and spent the next 63 minutes charging the battery. Oh joy, 10 minute flight time and an hour intermission, is just nothing you experience with nitro. On the second flight, the receiver went totally dead, and this came down, breaking in half. Receiver goes in the trash, it's twitching all over the place. The rest survived. So...how do you put the front half of the nose back on? A friend of mine said for me to use "this glue" he uses on his foam combat wing projects, Weldbond from Tower. He competes and makes his own designs from scratch so I guess he's got a lot of experience with this glue and working with foam than I do. It looks like white glue to me, but it takes 24 hours to dry. The amazing thing is it dries perfectly clear. I gave it a shot on a canopy too, and wow, you can't even see a brush stroke on the clear plastic just after an hour of cure time! But thinking to myself that I need to help the broken joint have more integrity than just glue, I dug up some shish-kabob skewers and practiced some voodoo on the plane through the fracture joints, getting the idea from how the hatch covers are held on with plastic 'nails'. Tomorrow, when it's dried, I'll test it and if it's strong, I'll dremel off the excess. I didn't want to trim off any bubbling mess from other glues that expand when they're dried so this glue may be useful to others who fly transmitter package materials.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55101.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	756551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47528.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	756552  
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Stryker strikes hard, opened like an egg

Edited- not worth it.
I say rebuild it, put in your own Rx and esc and give it another whirl.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 PM

I found the glue website, http://www.weldbondusa.com/. Now, to charge my batteries in my Ultra Sport 60 for tomorrow......aaahh.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 PM

You must have got a bad one. I have a Striker in my fleet and it's a blast. Mind you it's not stock anymore

Ian F.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Oh I agree, 20 minutes total flight time and the receiver goes, that's certainly bad, but it was a Hitec 555, not stock. It was nice how it could float and not stall, so it's not all bad. But I've got Stiks and 3D planes that do it better. How nice to have a plane with a power switch. Some modelers fly pizza boxes and coroplast too, looking into one, but framed up balsa can't be beat. It's worked for me for decades. The most fun part of the whole thing was not bringing fuel and a starter with me. Anyway, if you ever need to sweep up the belly of your Strykers off the road, use this weldbond glue. STOCK nitro is always so much more affordable than having $300 in batteries on hand to keep a modified electric in the air as often. I shudder to think I almost put in an order for a balance charger, phew!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Lol. I can see you're a 'bit' angry with all things electric Granted the Striker isn't the best delta out there. I also have a Projetti that will do over 100mph. Much better. And it doesn't upset the neighbours as much.

But I do prefer my gas birds and heli's

Ian F.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Oh thank you, I agree! The fuselage is very strong once again, and I'm ready to list it (yes, stating it was repaired), and never look back again.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM

I just bought a "Shark" flying wing from Roger Gagnon in town here. I installed an OS SX .32 with header and pipe, and wow, this thing screams! If the Stryk-out does 80, then this thing must be doing over 100. I listed my Stryker for $99 with a buy it now at $150.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19297.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	757249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55833.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	757250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37778.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.0 KB