Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashes how many have you had?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashes how many have you had?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:46 AM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashes how many have you had?

I think I have crashed about 10 so far in about 6 mnths. of learning. Not a quick learner I suppose. Some I rebuilt to crash a second time though. How many have you crashed? What type plane? A Super Cub my 1st. plane 2000 times A tribute foam 1 fixed it then stomped on it. An Edge 540 (mini). My first gasser an Ugly Stick fixed it and it still flys great. A Super Chipmunk, repairing it. I can't remember them all. But have found it as relaxing to fix them as anything i have tried doing to relax. Maybe I am weird lol. Have tried with a trainer guy and crashed anyway so I crash all by myself now and not as embarresed as having someone saying don't, stop, your gonna crash if you do that much more lol.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 AM
meaden

Default RE: Crashes how many have you had?

Never...just a few "hard landings"
Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 AM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let's put it in this way. Even though we occasionally crash we can still enjoy our hobby by repairing and, sometimes, changing or improving the design of our planes. I did it and I had a lot of fun out of it. Once, with two crashed sportster 40's, I made a bipe and it's still flying like nothing else. Another time a Sukoy 31 became a trainer for a buddy, and so on.
How proud I get when at the field they ask: which ARF is this?
Nevertheless if we crash too often we should ask ourselves why it happens, before by repairing more than flying we get too frustrated and quit the hobby.
I have observed that a mechanical or electronical failure frustrates less than a silly remote controling (thumbs) mistake.
So my advice is:
Construct or buy planes that fit your skills and the field where you have to practice.
We all have subjective brains-thumbs wiring (attitude) which leads to precision and self-confidence while flying, regardless our age. That's why, beyond a certain extent, practicing cannot improve our skills any further.
The field could be short, surrounded by trees and in a windy region: we might prefer to have an easy, well balanced and dependable plane.
Once we have accepted the existence of these elements and we've adapted ourselves to them, flying will be way more enjoyable, relaxing and less expensive.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I have crashed several times, but never for the same reason twice.

And I've never had a crash that I didn't rebuild.

Brad
Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 PM
TruBlu02

Ive got about 5 crashes under my belt with two of them being completely totaled. One was my Hobbico Extra 300s that the wing broke apart in flight and the other was one of my SPAD's that I thought had enough juice in the reciever pack but turned to be dead. Got about 10 feet up on take off and had no control. Plane climbed a couple hundred feet then rolled over into a death spiral. No biggie had a new one built a week later. You always have to learn something from each mishap so it does not happen twice. If I learn something then it was not a complete loss.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since 1970
1.1973 Eyeball Rx batteries Failed.
1974. 1/4 midget shoestring scale cotest snapped at top of loop did not try to recover due to spectators.
1976 Das little stick Tx battery failure
1979 sterling rimfire failed to recover from flat spin pilot error
1980 House of balsa p-51 .40 size hi speed stall on deadstick landing,snapped rolled.pilot error.
1991 scratch built Islander rx failed.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 PM
meaden

Ok, as long as we're being honest.

Only two that made me think "should I rebuild this?"

First one, I was doing a series of rolls and the RX was hit or bit the dust. We had to dig the engine out of the ground.

Second one, I had a dead stick in a bad spot and a pine tree caught the plane. That was fun getting it down!

All the rest I would call bumps and bruises.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM
SEEMEfly1
Banned

Never...just a few "hard landings"
ya im still learing already had a coupel of hard landings
Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I've had seven since I began in 2001. One overshot the runway, landed hard and ripped out the landing gear.
Another I did the reversed aileron thing; but managed to make the plane pancake inverted into a briar patch. The only damage was a small tear in the covering.
Another crash was a midair, the most fun of all.
Still another I stalled a side-slipping plane that went in nose first.
Yet another I held a plane in flat spin too long and failed to recover in time.
Three other crashes were, no doubt about it, nose diving, total destruction.[:@] One I lost an elevator servo. Another I took my eye off the plane. The third I tried to low slow roll, heading down wind.[sm=tired.gif]

Heh-heh, I started off saying four; and had to keep going back to add more![&:]
Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 PM
crash080

Hmmm...

Too many to count but I'll try. Oddly enough I still have my original Kadet Mrk II that I built in 1980 and taught myself to fly power on. Not a whole lot of people flying airplanes in northwest Colorado in the ealry 80's and only residential roads to fly off of. It's been rebuilt too many times to count but is still flyable.

Let's see...

Dynaflite Drifter II (1st radio controlled plane) - crashed and repaired untold number of times until it was simply too heavy to fly.
Dynaflite Wanderer - destroyed due to pilot error
Airtronics Sagita 900 - rebuilt three times due to pilot error
Kadet Mrk II - Rebuilds or at least the memorable ones: [ul][*]this isn't U-control. You have to have airspeed before applying elevator. Recover top of wing.[*]hit curb and ripped the gear out - rebuilt[*]hit fire hydrant - repair wing sheeting[*]hit sign - replaced engine mount[*]deadstick landing - main gear broke off, repaired[*]hit the only post in the field. - repaired wing sheeting[*]firewall fell off due to fuel soaking - fuselage repaired[*]completely rebuilt for flying off skis and floats, now hanging in my shop.
[/ul]
Christen Eagle - Ok, so not a good choice for a second plane but I was only 16 and didn't know any better! Totaled on first flight.
Sig Kobra (x2)[ul][*] #1: Learned not to use a new widget called an EZ connector on the elevator. High speed dive into asphalt. Total loss.[*] #2: High speed inverted pass that got a little too low. "Rekitted".
[/ul]
Durabat (x2)[ul][*]#1: got too close to another planed while trying to fly formation. "Rekitted".[*]#2: pulled when I should have pushed. full throttle into asphalt. "Rekitted".
[/ul]
Sig Skybolt (x4)[ul][*] #1: Uh, the runway starts where!? Replaced landing gear and then flew it until it simply wore out.[*] #2: Up is down? Down is up? What? Crap...who put the ground there? "Rekitted".[*] #3: Someone didn't have their transmitter in the impound and turned on same frequency. [:@][*]#4: Lost wheel in flight. Reparied and repainted wheel pant. Still flying every weekend.
[/ul]
CG Extra 300[ul][*] Ripped gear out in prarie dog hole (you've got to see the field to understand) repaired, then dropped on wing tip from low level torque roll, repaired. Still flyable but collecting dust in the shop waiting for my son to take it up.
[/ul]
Some guys ME 109 that he designed himself and asked me to maiden. Squirliest thing I ever flew. Made it back to the runway but not all at the same time.[:-]

Profile Hots: 8 sided loop that was missing the bottom side. "Rekitted".

Electrifly Turmoil (x2): Both total losses due to pilot showing off.

Electrifly Reflection (x?): Not even going to try to count repairs and/or total losses. I keep a stack of them on hand for when my low level rolling circles gets a little too low.

Sig Cap 231 EX: Flat spin to sudden stop... After sitting in the shop for 2 years I'm now rebuilding it with modifications for backup to Showtime.

Showtime 4D 90: Last week. Blender to inverted harrier. Ran out of altitude. Minor repairs and was flying it again yesterday.

There's got to be more but my feeble mind can't think of any...

There are two types of pilots in RC. Those who have crashed and those who are going to crash!!! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Been flying since about 1990 and built about 70 aircraft,50 of them kits.
I imagine I have about 10 total losses and about 50 mishaps in the last 17 years,many of them in the last 5 years since 3D and low/slow flying have become popular [8D]
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 AM
jetmech05

3 totaled 2 repairable
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 AM
kid chuckles

The antedote of made it back to the runway just not at the same time was to funny. Thanks guys. And not to proud to admit that showing off crashes alot of planes. Seen a Showtime 100 go into some kind of manuver the guy called it an Andy since that was his name and the plane just came apart in mid-air. Said he never tried that unless there were several folks to see it. LOL i busted up laughing. He did also the plane just came apart at the seams lol.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 AM
heli_Rod

LOL...sorry about all the crashes, but most of us that's been around for awhile have had our share.

If you haven't already, you might consider a quality simulator, such as RealFlight G3.5 or FSone. They can be purchased for the price of one "good" crash and will save you a lot of money. I've been flying planes for 45 years and helis for 35 years and I still use a simulator!

How many have I crashed? Geeez, I couldn't even begin to remember over the years, but I do remember last year........5 major heli crashes trying out some new 3-D stuff. What an expensive year that was...LOL

Rod
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My last really hard crash was a 80's style pattern plane 45 deg to the paved runway full throttle. Probably well over 100 mph. Visible parts were scattered for a good 200 feet. I don't think even the envioronmentalists objected when we just said let the wind blow it away. I didn't salvage a single part.

MY son's little Sig Fazer got mid aired by a big Cap. It was as close to vaporization as it gets. We salvaged the motor. Most of the rest blew away. haha the Cap went down too about 400 yds away in a Milow field. I don't know if balsa is good fertlizer or not. It's organic so it probably is. He salvaged his motor too. His must have knocked something loose as the plane went up about 5-600 feet and rolled over and came almost verticle down, no control at all. Wish I had a video.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 AM
mv-warbird

1- aeroworks edge 60 size
total loss even the engine

1- hobbico sukhio 60 size
tore the gear out about 7 times,fix pending.worst landing gear ever.

1- katana v70 profile,elevator servo failure on blender recovery.(splat)

1- showtime 90 4d,battery mount let go during blender,pulled batt out and well you know the rest.
total loss of airframe.

1- 1/4 scale lanier lazer kit built,misjudged corn at beginning of runway and cartwheeled her.
on the bench for minor fuse repair and wing dent.(very tough airplane).

1-freshly rebuilt aviation models yak profy from guess what manuver(yup a blender lol)
good thing the corn was soft that week.mostly covering.
I wouldnt give this up for the world,best hobby ever been envolved with.(IF YA AINT READY TO CRASH,YA AINT READY TO FLY!PEACE.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 AM
reincarnate

1--H9 P-51 PTS. (#1) High speed stall into a gravel driveway. Pieces scattered in a 100' radius. It was too awesome of a crash to even get mad.

2--GP Matt Chapman Cap 580, .40 size. Snapped at low altitude and never had a chance. Tail is hanging on the wall as a memorial.

3--H9 P-51 PTS. (#2) Forgot to put up antenna on Tx. Ground impact reminded me.

4--WM Cap 232S (Castrol scheme) Club president piled her in on approach. Bought another one just like it, only the "R", and love it. Old one waiting for snow to repair.

Numerous other bent gear, broken mounts and general mayhem, but those are the only "crashes".

Doesn't include the 529,792 mishaps and hard landings I had with my Xtra Easy trainer that I taught myself to fly on. I still have it and am putting floats on it this winter. It taught me to fly and to repair, and in a couple of cases to scratch-build!

BTW, PTS #2 still lives and is awaiting winter for a bash into a new entity. What will it be? Stay tuned. I'm going to let the guys at the club name it.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
kid chuckles

Well went flying today and actually did no damage to anything. [8D][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

2- crashed my NEXTAR when I was first starting out, stalled after trying to abort a bad landing and smashed the front half of the fuse-rebuilt
again another NEXTAR moment banged up the wing tips in a cartwheel-repaired, it still flys.
since I have gotten my G-3.5 sim-0.
there's a definate coralation the sim has helped immensely.
but hey I fly my planes to land em not crash em conservitive mabee,I have some expensive planes so I don't take that many risks that I am not willing to pay for.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
aussiesteve

In over 30 years of flying, I've never had a crash. I've had a few planes commit suicide, I've had a few where "the voices made me do it" but me - I'm perfect

I've also had planes re-kitted in 11 different countries over the years.
Now I maintain a hangar of between 30 and fifty "ready to fly" planes for myself and my two sons, On average we probably lose one every couple of months between the three of us.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 PM
mjfrederick

I've had 2 crashes since I started flying in 1988. My first was my trainer, an Eagle 63. The elevator clevis failed coming over the top of a loop. The second was a Calypso. Receiver battery died on landing approach. Neither plane was salvageable. I've had other mishaps, but nothing that ever did any significant damage. I don't count landing gear ripping out or dead-stick landings off the runway as a crash. Since I don't fly with retracts anymore, landing gear don't rip out anymore anyway.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
JR16

Well I have been flying for about 2 months and i soloed after about 4 flights. during my first flight my instructor was able to walk away and get a drink from his coffee, lol. Now to my very first crash. JJust yesterday i put my avistar into the ground, I was at about 35ft went to do a barrel roll, instead of starting the roll first i pushed up on the elevator stick, got stuck in about 30 degree dive then started the roll.then to top it all off I pulled back on the stick, while inverted, and planted her right infront of me. The lessons i learned from this crash:
1. dont let your head get to big for your hat size.
2. if Im gunna practice acrobatics get up to 300ft at least.

Today i went to a float fly that my club was having and a couple of guys were talking to me heres pretty much what was said "I heard you crashed your plane yesterday." I replied " yes I took a 48 inch airplane and made her 24 inches in about a half a second." I totaled the plane but the engine and radio systemis good with the excption of on servo that has to be rebuilt.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

last crash i had was about 4 years ago,was driving to the field had my wife with me and some kid on a cell phone rear ended my truck my wife and i were fine totaled my ultra stick and rear bumper and bed on my truck.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

I have crashed or damaged almost every plane that I have built since 1966. It seems I always test each planes flight envelope to the extreme. The ones I didn't crash I gave away when I got tired of them. I have never sold a plane, however, I have purchased a few wrecks over the years, rebuilt them, then crashed them. Crashing a plane just gives you the reason to build another. By the way, these dead planes have all been kits!!! Do any of you crash kits, or just ARF'S?

I do have a profile that I have dinked a couple of times. It is three years old and still very fun to fly.

If you don't crash once in a while you are flying like an old lady!!!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
waydown2low

I've had a total of about ten crashed planes in 16 years which include destroyed or major damage only, 3-d flying is hard on them but haven't hurt one real bad yet.

1. Avistar 40, first trainer, you name it, I did it to it!! TOUGH!!

2.Tiger 2, spun into ground.

3. Scat Cat Q-500 you figure it out!

4. Aircruiser 25, me and everybody else has crashed it! 13 years old and still have it, retired but still flyable!

5. Ultrasport 40, finally wiped out after about 2000 flights, I gave it to a friend and crashed it while he was letting me fly it!

6. Flightstar 40, reversed ailerons on takeoff!, seasoned pilot mistake, but it was free!!

7. Sig Kadet LT-40, Brother in laws, lost vertical stab inflight came down like a leaf, minor, hit power line with it, leading edge damage ( his foot finished it off, I still owe him a new one

8. Skyraider, lost cell in RX pack, missed a quarter horse by about 20 foot, ( yes horse was laughing at me when I recovered plane from crash site)

9. Twist 40, in dead stick loop contest at funfly this weekend, tried one last loop at 20' needed another 20'! [:@][>:][X(]

10. Twist 40, yes same plane rebuilt in about an hour, flew one event everything OK, next event lost elevator control, got it away from spectators and shut her down, nice beautiful dive into retirement, the clear monocoat ( also known as clear tape)did its job long enough, but, the fall from 50' was more than it could take ( nice thing about funflys is there is always a comedian, good or bad) I guess the servo was damaged from previous crash and decided it was time for some cheers! Gotta love it[8D]

And my favorite, not a crash but worth a mention, lost 1/4 scale Sig Extra 330XS out of back of pickup going down interstate at 70mph, broke motor loose and broke tail off, some roadrash! But the look on passing motorist as I was stomping the crap out of it, they were thinking SYCHO!! Do not ever put the tail of your plane against the cab of your pickup without strapping it down it will fly up catch slipstream and flip out of truck. Hauled it thousands of miles facing the other direction without straps, never any problem, must have been on cell phone while loading up that day![:@][&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.