Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Corsair Tip Stall on Take Off

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Corsair Tip Stall on Take Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Tip Stall on Take Off

Okay, so I was maybe a little too confident. Had flown my Top Flite Corsair on a few sucessful flights and was still getting used to it. Week before, I had taxied to take off speed and the tail came over ever so slowly. Happened twice in a row. Second time breaking the tail. Next time at the field, I held back slightly on the elevator to prevent tip over. Next thing I know, i'm taxiing down the runway and the plane launches vertically like a rocket. Couldn't do anything, she came down hard on the nose. Tore it up pretty good, hope to rebuild soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Corsair Tip Stall on Take Off

flying on grass? trying to figure out how the tail out flew the rest of the airplane, to make it tail over..To much drag on the main wheels? control surface trim out?
the second time you didn't tip stall you didn't mention a roll..you just stalled it...power and up elevator equals shooting up and a stall.
good luck on the fix
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM
gadgetophile

jetmech is correct... if it didn't roll over on you then it wasn't a tip stall. You might have some success if you repeat the takeoff with less elevator.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Redback

If you need elevator to keep the tail down at the start of the takeoff run you have to be ready to ease it off as the plane picks up speed.

Crashed my TF Corsair on it's first flight by letting it get off the ground too soon, resulting in a roll to the left with the engine torque. Almost managed to save it, in the end all I did was gain enough height for a better crash[&o].

Rebuilt it (TF are, or at least were) very good on supplying parts and six years on it's still flying (painted in an NZ colour scheme, first time did in insignia blue moncote before I learned better).

Good luck with your rebuild

Terry
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: Redback

If you need elevator to keep the tail down at the start of the takeoff run you have to be ready to ease it off as the plane picks up speed.

Crashed my TF Corsair on it's first flight by letting it get off the ground too soon, resulting in a roll to the left with the engine torque. Almost managed to save it, in the end all I did was gain enough height for a better crash[&o].

Terry
Pretty much the same story of my AT-6, and its not like it has only happened once .... additional bad thing is I always fight it all the way to the ground so it hits at full throttle.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM
mjfrederick

In my experience, this is a common problem with warbirds. It's not necessarily a design problem, just something in the design that is exaggerated by scaling it down. Most warbirds had very poor handling at low speeds, tip stalls are very common, especially on a dead stick approach. Takeoffs are also a pain as the designs are prone to ground loops. The key to takeoffs is realizing you have to fly the tail long before the mains lift off the ground... forces you to get good with the rudder and elevator since slamming the throttle and pulling up is a recipe for disaster.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

I just lost my corsair due to a tip stall. It jumped off the ground to about 15 ft left wing droped and went in nose then wing first total disaster RIP
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Exactly what happened to me. It did roll to the left before smashing into it's nose. I think you guys are correct, my wheels are a little tight and were probably causing excess drag - I had fixed gear. Didn't want to put my 615's in yet till I got the hang of it. I had already replaced several landing gear plywood pieces due to bad landings.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: mjfrederick

In my experience, this is a common problem with warbirds. It's not necessarily a design problem, just something in the design that is exaggerated by scaling it down. Most warbirds had very poor handling at low speeds, tip stalls are very common, especially on a dead stick approach. Takeoffs are also a pain as the designs are prone to ground loops. The key to takeoffs is realizing you have to fly the tail long before the mains lift off the ground... forces you to get good with the rudder and elevator since slamming the throttle and pulling up is a recipe for disaster.
I agree, a good straight takeoff run with a gentle flyout is the ticket.
Aborting a landing by slamming full throttle is not a great idea either.
With warbirds you need to think rudder first and aileron second (much easier for me to say than do).