Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Aresti Crash - Bad Transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hangar 9 Aresti Crash - Bad Transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 AM
SLFlt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Aresti Crash - Bad Transmitter?

These pictures show before and after pictures of a Hangar 9 Aresti I had on loan from a friend. A system "glitch" caused a left hard-over about 10 feet above the ground during takeoff. I got the power to idle so the engine is fine. I was using a Futaba T6EXA transmitter about 3 seasons old. Battery voltage showed 10.1 (9.4 is min) and the correct model was selected. The last photo shows the wing with one aeileron commanding the turn and the other at neutral. I was using a Y-harness for the aeileron servos. I have had one other suspect crash. As a result, I am sending it in to Radio South for troubleshooting. Does anyone have any input or has anyone had any similiar problems? Thanks... -SLFlt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25360.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	809175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76277.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	809176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75886.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	809177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93127.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	809178  
Old 11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
MDixon

Default RE: Hangar 9 Aresti Crash - Bad Transmitter?

After inspecting the airplane I feel that the problem may have been the left aileron servo since the gears were almost completely stripped. The gears could have been stripped during the crash but there was no damage to the wing, wing tip, or aileron to support this. Just prior to this event I had already changed the gear set in the elevator servo due to excessive play and "bumping" internal to the servo. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
gadgetophile

You'd be surprised what the twisting and stress forces on an apparently undamaged wing can do to a servo.

I had a big crash with a little .10 sized electric on the weekend, and like you the wing looked fine, but one servo was totally stripped. Crash was pilot error, so the servo was definitely stripped by the crash. There was no damage on the wing apart from the wing bolt area, and all linkages were still connected.

So I have to conclude that the forces of the crash twisted the wing far enough to strip the wing servo, but not far enough to break the wing. This could be the same in your case, so unfortunately it doesn't take the blame away from your radio, or interference.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:11 PM
randomhero86
Banned

well with your .10 i would guess you were using micro servos? standard servos are usually ok unless they take a direct blow. i have the same servos today in my 3d bird as i had in my very first trainer nearly 8 years ago. i would check the y-harness and the servo. one thing i learned is start your engine and then range check your radio while motor is full throtle i have no clue why. ut bad servos always show when the motor is running. maybe the vibration or something. but sending it to radio south is always a good idea too.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Villa

I have been surprised how well a model can fly with just one failed servo, as long as the other is still working. At our field I have seen many instances of "radio glitches" that the rest of us thought was something else such as servos moving the wrong way, or pilot inexperience.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
jetmech05

if you are using a y harness..one servo commanded a hard over, and the other didn't, it isn't your radio....it was either the y harness or the servo.