Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

ONE MAN'S TRASH

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

ONE MAN'S TRASH

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ONE MAN'S TRASH

From my start in this hobby I've always wanted to design my own planes. I allways check the dumpster to see if there are any salvageable parts . over the years I have built 5 good flying planes and three tooth pick factories when I grew tired of them I strip the raido and engine out and leave them for some one else to enjoy. I was woundering if there were any other dumpster divers out there? The red v tail was the last one I did all I had was a set of wings from a raptor I think.. I flew her for two years at full throtle than gave her to the club. My most recent tcan plane is the three d pictured. All that was left were the wings, tail , and trutle deck. there were enough peices th find out hou long t6he fus was. I'm thinking insted of a 3der a second set of wings and a biplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52056.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	956041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15243.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	956042  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:39 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts
Default RE: ONE MAN'S TRASH

Salvaging at my club is non-existing I think evyone takes them home except the ones that get too close to the lake and become fish food. I have a friend who lost an Extra 300 that way. several years ago.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always thought it would be funny to build a plane out of as many mismatched arf pieces as possible
(like I don't have enough projects!)

It would be a crazy trim out flight I am sure...
There is some satisfaction to rebuilding ( somebody elses) crashes, I think sometimes its more fun than a new arf or kit.. I HATE rebuilding my own stuff though...much more depressing
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
OkieTrucker

That's funny!! When me and my kids go to the field we ALWAYS stop by the "parts store" (the dumpster) to look for buried treasure. Alot of times i will find good horns, screws, or maybe an aileron, never found a plane good enough to rebuild, but i will keep shopping!!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
F-15 Fan

I keep looking, nothing yet.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

A good week for dumpster divers. Not one but TWO Ultra Stick 25e ARFs went in. Grabbed them out of the trash can to salvage usable parts, horns, blind nuts, tail wheel with bracket, that kind of thing. When I got them home and had a chance to examine them they looked like a good rebuild project. Now I'm toying with the idea of joining the wings, making a wider horizontal stabilizer and then use the two fuselages to make an Ultra Stick twin. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79647.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	960228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85121.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	960229  
Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
OkieTrucker

I saw a guy do that with 2 uproars, had 2 fuse's and WIDE wings, it will look great!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Steve Steinbring

Nice find Red! Those two are easily rebuilt! A little balsa, plywood, glue, and covering mixed with some time will do it.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
F-15 Fan

Today I went dumpster diving, and found an electric scooter in there, needed a new battery or two. Couldn't take it though not enough room in the car.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
VeeAte

Not really in the bin, but I have been given three planes from club members who crashed them and couldnt be bothered fixing them.

Harmon Rocket III with little bit of leading edge damage and needed firewall box rebuilt Total cost of rebuild about $12 in ply and epoxy.

Airsail Piper Tomahawk (kit built) this plane just needs the landing gear fixed in one wing and a bit of balsa to cover where the servo wires were uncermoniously ripped out to remove the servo's. Probably about the same cost to repair as the Rocket.

CMPro .90 size Spitfire. Wing is cracked through the root from LE to TE and needs a new former put in the fuse aft of the wing saddle. Needs firewall epoxied/glassed back into the fuse. Wing is main concern but I am sure I can find some info on RCU to help with the repair (if its possible). Uses an alloy tube instead of a plywood dihedral brace so going to have to remove some sheeting to see how I can fix this one.