Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Twist 60 Wing TIP + CURB = Smashed Wing Tip - Any TIPS?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Twist 60 Wing TIP + CURB = Smashed Wing Tip - Any TIPS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 PM
631-R/C Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist 60 Wing TIP + CURB = Smashed Wing Tip - Any TIPS?

Hello,

Had a little mishap- pilot error. Had a nice hop on a landing- should of went around again; miss judged it and forgot about the curb- first time flying at this location. I have all the wood that "fell off" the wing tip. I was going to tac it together with CA then brush w/ 5 minute epoxy and recover- it wont look pretty but it'll get it flying agian- I think?

Any tips on how to do this better?
Will the epoxy throw the balance of the wing off?
Will the repair warp the wing at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22858.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1043506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32405.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1043507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14614.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1043508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87600.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1043509  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 AM
scooty

Default RE: Twist 60 Wing TIP + CURB = Smashed Wing Tip - Any TIPS?

You really don't need epoxy, use white wood glue, it's much lighter. Just glue all the pieces back in and recover it. Those Twist wings are so short and stubby, It'll retain its original alignment fairly easily. Make sure you get that last end rib glued together as straight as possible! Use a straight edge. The wing will gain weight on that end, so make sure to laterally balance the plane once you're done. If you want to be lazy, skip lateral balancing, don't worry, she'll still fly, just not very precisely. Good Luck!
l
Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip? Don't fly where there are curbs

I hope this was not a residential area...

Epoxy is heavy so the above mentioned white glue or medium CA would be better choices.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rib pieces fit together nice and tight, meaning no gaps, then just CA the ribs back together, take your time, getting it realigned, you only have 1 shot at it with CA, if you prefer to have a little more time setting it up use plain old wood glue. When you start piecing it together and notice there are gaps of wood missing, use a backer of thin balsa sheet and sand it to the shape of the rib, this is where plain old wood glue shines, you can actually sand the wood and not plastic/wood like CA makes of balsa. Just replace the cap strips if broken with new strip balsa, it's easier than gluing it back together and having to sand that little joint.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
631-R/C Flyer

Thanks for the tips. Gotta pick up some monkote and balsa. - The curb was in a college parking lot- i belong to a club - Defense Hill Flyers in Shoreham, Ny its about 15 miles from my house. But there is this community college a stones throw away that a couple of guys fly out of ( security gaurds dont mind they gave us the green light) so i figured i'd give it a shot. Its a nice spot execpt for the curbs[:@]