Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

I will never do that again.....

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

I will never do that again.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will never do that again.....

Get to the field this morning early before the wind picks up. I took my trainer out, ( only plane I had ) range check, fuel up, start up, tune up blah blah blah. I have a great 10 min flight, land, give it the once over, clean up a bit, refuel, taxi and go again. 7-8 minutes into this flight transition seems a little slow so I bring it down and it is a megatech so of course the low end needle was working loose ..

I noticed there was an officer at the end of the road/runway, my field is a public park and boat ramp about 30 acres clear sailing over land, limitless over lake,with a single very wide smooth paved access road right down the middle.( yes I have checked with the city and county its acceptable to fly here)

That being said I thought it best to see if the officer needed something. He did not, he was just watching, no problems.

Now I am new at this maybe 20 hours flight time, and I am having the time of my life I had my first audience it was cool. I think I was over excited LOL.

I go over the plane get it tuned again taxi out, zip past, the wind had started up a bit about a constant 2-3 mph just mild not a big deal,as taught I take off into the wind, all looks good.I start my climb to a safe height to perform a few rolls and such ( I know its a trainer and terrible for this but its still fun :P ) as I am turning the thing IT QUITS RESPONDING, and decides to head straight out over the lake...and not a single thing I can do is changing anything................

The sucker is slowly climbing, stalls, the wind turns it back to me at around 250ft above the lake, it has the wind to its back now and its a good 150 yards west of me heading north all on its lonesome and out of my hands....... Now being a stable trainer with the wind to its back it levels out just about 50ft high,at good 30 mph and it finds the one tree left for shade in the cleared park.....

So I am standing there wondering what could have gone wrong, no one else around, can't blame another radio, cop left can't blame him, I charged the batteries. What O what happened. I walk all the way across the field to start picking up pieces, make some phone calls for help to get it OUT of the tree lol.

Go back over to the runway to pack up my field box, and pieces.

As I reach down to pick up the radio to put it in the car...........reality.........crashes..........hom e................the antenna............. was still........................down...........

I will never do that again.....I hope ....LOL

Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 PM
jib

Default RE: I will never do that again.....

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

My son lost his first one like that. We were lucky, it was an inexpensive foamy. He lost the first real plane in a mid-air collision. Arggggg!

Now the plane he flies most of the time is a SPAD. <grin>

Jack
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Phoenixangel

Thanks, I am already scheming and collecting and studying for a rebuild.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
basman

It hurts when you loose one for no good reason, sorry for your loss. How long before you can get another one? One thing if all goes well when flying in a public place, but you would have to question next time something goes wrong and the plane wonders of by itself or worse comes in at full noise what can you do. Do you have a Club near by with membership and insurances etc?
I was flying with 2.4 one day the picked up a 36meg rx took off flew about 30m then rolled left in she went. Opps for got you need an antenna. Hard leason learnt but thats flying, you will only do it once...........hopefully. Once again hope you are flying again soon
Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Phoenixangel

We only fly in the public place why the public is not around, there is a club in the local area but it is soon to shut down next closest thing is about 40 miles away and just too far for me. This "public" park is in a VERY rural area the closest structure is at least 2.5 miles away.The park is not in the city limits although the officers often will park there for some reason ??, I live in the foothills of the ozark mountains in Oklahoma, so other people around is rare, and those that show up leave in boats within 10 minutes after arriving.

Safety is a must.......

As for flying again...well....

I should have this by the weekend http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGHD4**&P=6 ........ =) after a few coupons and free shipping it was a good deal.

Going to use coro to build a new wings and stabilizer for the crash victim.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:57 AM
basman

Safty first ..........had to ask. Looks good glad to hear you will be flying soon as. What radio do you fly with? The reason I ask is: I fly with a DX7, I own a 40 size classic trainer with a 46ax. I added another servo to the main wing, that allowed me to programe in flaperons. You may not need them but short take offs and short landings where a buzz, and added another dimension to my trainer. Note first time you try them do it with some height just to see how she reacts. Besides it good pratice for when you do want use them on something that needs it.
Not good to hear about your local, and the fact the next club is so far away, do you get to fly with others? Could be worse it could be your local watering hole shutting down!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33641.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1125593  
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Phoenixangel

I have 2 radios the 4 channel airtronics came with the model I crashed, new one is a 6 channel futaba. 6ex or something like that.The manual has simple instructions for programing flaperons, may just give it a try.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

whats up okie what lake did you do it at ? I had the same thing happen at ft.gibson I was swapping from 72 to 2.4 between the 3 planes I had out there and the last one I flew that day was a 72 plane whoops wheres my antenna oh well junk happens hope you get another one soon what hobby shop do you go to?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Phoenixangel

WHATS UP OKIE !!

I was over at lake Hudson in Salina. Action Hobbies in Tulsa on memorial at like 45th is the closest thing I can find, when I am not willing to wait for shipping,lol.

The new plane should be here friday =)
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 PM
racelikustolit3k

I figured it was at hudson man you should check out my buddy matt at models works its on 129th and 51st just north of highway 51 on 129th he was alot more stuff than action and its a little closer than action I may have missed it but what kind of plane are you getting if you ever want to buy something else hit me up I am always selling and buying stuff take care man keep those whips up

race
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Phoenixangel

buyin a hobbistar 60, think i linked to it up top.Thank You very much for the heads up on the shop info, and I will hit u up first if i need anything man, less then 20 miles to the mighty Inola
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
racelikustolit3k

hell yeah man 1 stop light strong and its not even a light it just blinks but we have some huge planes out here we have a sweet spot at mine and my buddy toms checkout my gallery and see some pics of toms
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Phoenixangel

The final part (engine mount) will arrive for my rebuild friday, the wings are made and fit. New stabilizer/rudder is working well, the rebuild with coroplast was really fun, and I know a lot more about this hobby then I did 2 weeks ago, first one I ever had to rebuild was quite a job. thanks to everyone here and guys at spadworld the build went really well. and I no longer have any doubts its gonna fly thanks again all ..
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
conradj

Hey - just a very small clarification if you haven't figured it out already - Model Works is actually on 41st and 129th, but it is just north of Highway 51 as racelikustolit3k mentioned. Racelikustolit3k is definitely right though - Matt's shop is one of the best I've been to, and surely the best in the Tulsa area. He stocks pretty much everything, and anything he doesn't have in stock he'll gladly order and have within a week or so. He's also matched some Horizon prices several times even though his prices are already very competitive. He's a great source of knowledge, advice, and support as well.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
racelikustolit3k

damn I go there every week and cant even get the address right duh !!!! but anyway con you are most definetly right matt is an awsome guy and I will never use another store locally I use rcu alot but most of the time I will go to matt and the comrodary is awesome I really like flying with matt and blake when they come out to toms (friends field at his house very nice check my pics to see a little of it)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 AM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

PhoenixAngel, been there done that! My mistake was not noticing my 12v vehicle based charger had a loose and shorted lead and was actually draining my receiver battery, not charging it. Off goes my 50 size Giles and a beautiful running old OS 50 FSR. I had control for about six seconds, full throttle snap and plant...whomp!
Idiot, idiot, idiot. That's all I could say to myself. I was flying out in agricultural farm land away from everything...luckily. Now I always check my batteries with an ESV before firing up a plane.

Dan
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
conradj

I've never gotten an opportunity to fly with Matt, but I understand he's quite the pilot. I never go anywhere else in Tulsa either...I tried a couple other places that were just disappointments waiting to happen. Now I'm like a Model Works disciple - always telling everyone to go there!

Where is "Tom's" place? That looked like a really cool place to fly based on your pics. Nice collection of planes BTW! I've only ever flown out at Bald Eagle in Kiefer but I'm also relatively new to the hobby. Well, I say new because I've only ever flown my little Aerostar 40, but I'm almost done with my second plane (Sig Somethin' Extra custom). Within the last two months however my collection doubled when I acquired a CMP Super Chipmunk 52 and a CG Ultimate 10-300. Now it's a full-blown addiction, but I'm sure you can commiserate.

Where do you usually fly?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
racelikustolit3k

oh I hear that you just cant wait to get that daily fix like a junkie lookin for his next bump I never fly at any clubs just on private land we have 3700' full scale runway right out my back door I fly alot there when I get bored but toms is just right down the road as well in tiawah maybe 3-4 miles from my house and I am just 1 mile north of the 412 bridge on highway 88 and toms place is actually a full scale runway to every now and then we will have a plane shoot by or tom will get his plane out (very scary very crazy awesome pilot) or jerry and his r44 raven will stop by and blow grass and crap all over the place but it kinda cool lookin to have a heli that close wow on the ultimate they fly great once you learn there weird habbits check out my thread in crash and rebuild called rebuilding the gp ultimate should be at the top once you get into gassers it gets twice as bad and anything over 1/4 scale I have a few big planes and I hate putting them together but dang I love flying them
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
conradj

Exactly. That's very cool to have a flying field in your back yard. I'm jealous! I live right smack in the middle of Tulsa so all of the fields are about 30-45 minutes away. I'll check out your rebuild thread and see if I can't learn a thing (or three).
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Orso

I did the same thing but was really bad was that I was hooked up to my INSTRUCTOR by a buddy box My hanger 9 p-51 took off great climbed great and crashed,after picking up the pieces my 9 yr. old son picked up BOTH remotes and said don't the antenna have to be up ??
My INSTRUCTOR looked at me and said#$@$% I cannot believe I did this. Well live and learn oh by the way with a new instructor.