Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

crashed my unknown stick

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

crashed my unknown stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 PM
donjr721

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crashed my unknown stick

Last year I bought a stick at an auction that a local club had. I only paid $4 for it. I stripped the covering and added dual aileron servos. I placed an asp 61 two stroke on it. I do not know who made this particular plane, but the vertical stab was not round as most sticks are. This plane flew great. Unfortunately it met it's demise last weekend. I didn't even get to fly her a complete lap after take off. I was making my third turn, the plane inverted, I didn't realize it had rolled, I over corrected, then over corrected again. This thing was then spiraling like a football. I couldn't react fast enough. It rolled all the way in. The front end shattered, the center of both wings shattered, a hole in my muffler. I was devastated. So. Guess what caused this. I had switched from my 6 channel radio with dual rates to a straight 4 channel radio. I did not however adjust my control throws, this plane was very snappy on high rate. I am just not that good of a pilot to save one rolling that fast, maybe if I had more altitude.The sad thing is that I had thought about this before taking the plane out, I just figured I would just give less control input. Didn't work for me. I will learn from this mistake, if I don't feel comfortable, I won't fly. I will not fly if I have any second guesses until I fix them. I don't know if I can rebuild it or not, it's pretty bad. I will sit on it for a while before I decide. I haven't totalled a plane in over 10 years, I hate it. I will definately get another stick if I don't repair this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56106.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1209147  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:49 AM
minicrazy592

Default RE: crashed my unknown stick

It appears to be a Great Planes 60 Stick with a modified tail.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:30 PM
donjr721

thanks, i thought it may have have been made by great planes, i believe it was kit built and not an arf.  i would definately like to rebuild this one or buy another.  the addition of individual aileron servos made all the difference.  it was an awesome flyer.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
minicrazy592

All of my sticks are my favorite flyers. No other plane that I have flies like them.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

This plane is a "Rapier II" kitted by Pica.  This is the plane I learned to fly with.  Great flying plane. Wish I could find one now.  I built (and subsequently crashed) the .60 size "Rapier" and still have the plans, so might try to scratch build one. But would still like to find a Rapier II (.40 sized version)

Paul
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Symposiumguy

Hi Paul,
I am kind of new to this forum stuff so I hope I am not breaking any rules.
I was hoping that you could help me out. I was planning on my winter project, Rapier II, when I found out that I had lost the instructions somewhere along the line.
I have the plans but the instructions can sometimes help a little.
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of them from you somehow?
Let me know if you can help me out.
Thank You
Brian
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

you might ask over in the classic pattern forum, they have a lot of plans scanned to digital files
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Symposiumguy

Thanks I will do that.