Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

J-3 Grows on Trees

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

J-3 Grows on Trees

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 02:36 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J-3 Grows on Trees

Well they don't grow there but they sure look funny hanging from the top of one. Took my BRAND NEW Scratch built 40 size J3 to the field today. A few were there and I was glowing with all the good comments on how nice the J3 was. Wind was up a little much, so I waited for it to die down. Glad everyone left. Plane flew just like a Cub. Then it went from half way stable to what happened. Watched as the Cub went into a sprial and would not respond to any inputs. Walked the 100 yrd to the tree line. And there she was perched atop a pine tree about 50 feet. Well its been a LONG time since I climbed a tree. Retreved plane and found the problem. Guess those hinges in the rudder should have had glue in them. More damage done getting down with plane than the LANDING did. Then to add insult to injury. As I walked back to the flight line, who shows up. Power Company with high reach boom truck. Where were they 15 min ago. Then the worst part had to go home and tell the wife about it.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:39 AM
Flying Scotsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt

Trees, Trees, Trees....I think they are model airplane magnets!

I was on my trainer learning to fly with my instructor and all that was left was to land the thing and he would allow me to go solo. However I had to wait for the following weekend to have a go at landing so instead on the following Thursday, I took the afternoon off work with the intention of heading to the airfield & trying a landing myself. My justification to my disbelieving wife was "see, if I try to land it with no-one around then no-one will laugh if I crash it". She finally gave in and went along to help me out (I reckon she just came to see the crash).

Anyway, we arrived at the field and no-one was around so my plan was working. Of course, cocky ol' me had done 4 or 5 take-offs so that part would be easy. I started her up and taxied her to the concrete runway. We have a woodland all around the pit area to the left of the runway and an open field to the right of the runway so my intention was to take off and bank to the right and over the open field. I went 3/4" throttle and she rolled down the runway without much effort then I PULLED back the stick and she went straight vertical for about 50ft and banked to the left - towards the trees! I foolishly thought I might clear the branches but being a .46 engine, I couldn't keep it going vertical like a F15 Eagle and she stalled about 1ft above the tree line and gently floated into a tree.

Wearing shorts and sandals there was nothing I could do but to climb the tree and retrieve the plane - although on two occasions I had thought aboout leaving her there until I could get help on the Saturday but the shame of it all, drove me through scratching twigs and snapping branches! The only damage was a tear in the monokote which we strapped up for the weekend without anyone noticing!

Don't tell Pascal or he will kill me!

Name ommitted.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:27 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jinxed CUB ?

Well it did not wind up in the tree this time, but it seems that this plane just was not meant to be. Made repair to holes in covering, and yes CA to the hinges this time. Put the plane up and she flew perfect, no surprises. Landings were straight forward and very easy. Then on third flight - made turn to pass in front of runway and turn for landing. The most unnerving sound, and the sight of covering peeling off the top of the wing. The Cub did it's best to stay stable but with no covering on top right half of wing it just wasn't going to happen. Made the walk and to my surpise it actually survied the crash which was straight in. Minor damage to fuse, one strut support and one wing rib. To think - TOP FLIGHT'S SUPER Mono Coat turned completely loose and yes I did all the right things before applying. Took other pieces of remaing SUPER MONO COAT and tried it on scrap wood. NO it don't stick. Guess its not meant for this little Cub to fly.