Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Why do most blame everything but themselves

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Why do most blame everything but themselves

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Old Erkki

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why do most blame everything but themselves

Greetings from Finland

Gentelemen you are barking under completely wrong tree

Planes usually do not break completely in air, except in mid air collissions and then it is that other fellows reason -naturally. Who is he to use same airspace anyway?

-if you loose control of your plane it is still in completely good condition
-if your servos are working wrong way it is only 15 second job to change that
-if your batteries are discharged it is 30 minutes job charge them
-if your servo is broken it is about one hour job to ghange that
-if control surface flutters and breaks off it is only two hours job to fix that
-if wing breaks in air fuselage is still OK
-etc

Those are not total losses. It becomes total loss when plane and ground get contact. So the person you should blame is is land owner, and you should sue him.

Old Erkki
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM
aerofly0610

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Srewinkel

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a "brown out", or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash. I have built and crashed many planes, and all but maybe 2 of the crashes have been my fault. Simple range check, battery check, or simple abort a take off can save a lot of planes. I guess it is the fad of the century, "not my fault"

I could give you a complete and truthful answer to this, but the mods will just delete it.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Prairie Mike

One should "own up" and do the right thing.................. blame your spotter.

Prairie Mic
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i blame the little 4' high stick with roots that stands on the edge of the runway in march with no leaves to show its position so that when i made a cross field landing do to strong cross winds it jumped up and tore off my uproars wing clean off....thats not my fault!!!really!!!! its the stupid trees fault for growing there and not being anything more than a stick with roots barely strong enough to destroy my plane.

on the funny side,the lipos flew 3' further that the wreckage and the esc,rx battery and the siren plane locator still worked......i couldn't resist setting off the siren and pointing out to the wittnesses that i could find my plane very easy now............to bad the wreckage was in clear veiw for all to see........gotta laugh!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22919.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1401793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94567.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1401794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17490.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1401795  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

I think as a society we have become a ''it's someone elses fault'' group. When something bad happens we immediately look around to see who we can blame..and sue of course. It's really a sad state of affairs.

Next to Football suing is Americas favorite game.
Uhhh, you have it reversed. For each lawyer we produce India produces an engineer.

More people watch the superbowl than vote.

Bliksem

Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 AM
biggestgerbil

ORIGINAL: Old Erkki

Greetings from Finland

Gentelemen you are barking under completely wrong tree

Planes usually do not break completely in air, except in mid air collissions and then it is that other fellows reason -naturally. Who is he to use same airspace anyway?

-if you loose control of your plane it is still in completely good condition
-if your servos are working wrong way it is only 15 second job to change that
-if your batteries are discharged it is 30 minutes job charge them
-if your servo is broken it is about one hour job to ghange that
-if control surface flutters and breaks off it is only two hours job to fix that
-if wing breaks in air fuselage is still OK
-etc

Those are not total losses. It becomes total loss when plane and ground get contact. So the person you should blame is is land owner, and you should sue him.

Old Erkki
This may work in the USA but not in the UK. The landowner would sue the club for damage to his potato field.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Srewinkel

In question is "brown outs".. why are all brown outs resulting in instant crash.  Does a brown out know where the ground is? Hwy not a brown out that cause the plane to climb, instead of dive???  I had a plane lose communication with the TX, it flew were it was heading with no response from TX, until it regained a signal.   

Had a flyer at the field the other week crash right after take off, that was determined by me and another very good pilot was caused by pilot induced oscillations.   Essentially over correcting till impact with ground, could also be referred to as mother dealing with child in back seat, running off the road, and over correcting, causing SUV to roll.   But of course the wind caused his crash..  lol...  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The last crash I had occurred because I was thinking about this thread as I flew.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
TOY4WD

ORIGINAL: bjor

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a ''brown out'', or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash. I have built and crashed many planes, and all but maybe 2 of the crashes have been my fault. Simple range check, battery check, or simple abort a take off can save a lot of planes. I guess it is the fad of the century, ''not my fault''
Yep - have to agree. There's this bloke that flys at our club, and has crashed every plane he has flown - none were his fault, just ask him. I've seen him tip stall an pull up instead of down (when inverted) -but never his fault. By his own admmission he has written off 7 planes in as many months - probably less, everything from a glider to a 50cc Extra. He brought a new DSX9 2.4 system to replace his DX7 recently. When asked how come he reply ''needed a new transmitter as my planes kept crashing with the other one''. The DSX 9 must be better - it's only crashed one plane so far
That's hilarious. Definite progress!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

It wasn't my fault! The damn camera that was duct taped to my hat was falling over and constantly needing to be readjusted! Maybe I could get Nikon to pay me $150 to re-kit my Ultra Sick. LOL

Name:	Mk25375.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1425278  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Prairie Mike

I've been in the hobby since 1957.
In all that time I have come to understand that crashes are caused by: (In the following order of importance)

1. Bad Karma
2. Equipment failure
3. Spotter's fault
4. Poor Construction or Design
5. Bad air/Wind
6. Expiration date of aircraft has occurred
7. Srewinkel 's fault (he started this thread)

Notice: It's NEVER the pilot's fault. Welcome to MY world.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
el-John-o

It's the way the world works anymore, spill your coffee?  Sue McDonalds, I mean seriously nothing is ANYONES fault, kids fight in school? That's the videogames fault (you know I love WWII games, I do, but I have STILL not had the urge to wake up in the middle of the night and look for jerries).

And there is some context there, I recently crashed my nexstar, the reason was the plane slipped on gravel and tipped into a ditch, still my fault, if I was a better pilot it didn't happen, but you know, im sure looking back I came across the same as your talking.  I readily admit my fault, I was taking off were I shouldn't have, and I over corrected with the rudder before it went down, but it still sounds nicer to me to blame the inanimate gravel .
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recognize this at all, when ever I crash a plane I always blame myself [:@]
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi faulknej
Are you flying at a club where you can get help from instructors?
YEah and his instructors teach him to stay away from those buildings. You know how those buildings jump out in front of ya,omg there's another building (CRUNCH)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
rmantoo

My brain IS the glitch that causes my crashes!

Ultimately, EVERY single thing that happens 'to me' in my life is my fault. Life is far too complicated and yet enjoyable to not look reality straight in the face and say, "I did this." Prevarication has become a way of life for many, but I refuse to lie to myself any more than I would lie to someone else (other than telling my wife "No, dear! That dress makes you look THINNER!").
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi faulknej
Are you flying at a club where you can get help from instructors?
YEah and his instructors teach him to stay away from those buildings. You know how those buildings jump out in front of ya,omg there's another building (CRUNCH)
Geez...this reminds me of the first plane I built for me (when in High School, I built several for others to make some spending cash; crazy, I know). I made it from cardboard stock and then proceeded to teach myself to fly it when I was away to College.

After graduation, I needed to find a club near the house so I could continue. I found a club, The Riverview RC Fliers, and the very first time I went there with my cardboard jalopy the so called Chief Instructors said that it was a club rule that he had to test fly every new model. The SOB proceeded to crash it and blamed everything else except his sorry flying capability. Lesson learned
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Adui

In all my bad landings, (Crashes and hard landings both) its always been my fault. Even my wind bitten story was ultimately me. I simply shouldnt have been flying in that wind!

Interesting that you note a tip stall as someones way of blaming other than themselves. Tip stall is a form of stall, if your plane stalls its generally because you screwed up. So, when someone blames the dreaded tip stall I see it as blaming themselves for causing the occurance.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Srewinkel

After graduation, I needed to find a club near the house so I could continue. I found a club, The Riverview RC Fliers, and the very first time I went there with my cardboard jalopy the so called Chief Instructors said that it was a club rule that he had to test fly every new model. The SOB proceeded to crash it and blamed everything else except his sorry flying capability. Lesson learned
That is the dumbest club rule on the planet.  For anyone to tell you that you can't fly your plane until they fly it first is arrogant and selfish.  You want to fly the plane, go buy one your self.

I will never join a club with such rule, and very strongly discourage anyone else from joining a club with that rule.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a ''brown out'', or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash.
Are there honestly pilots out there who think that stalling an airplane isn't 100% their fault? [X(]

I'm not sure what's worse, those or the ones who, when asked why they crashed, respond "the engine quit." Most of the time it's someone who's engine cut out with a couple hundred feet of altitude too.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

<Asbestos suit on>

I have noticed that my fellow countrymen (and women) often have this nasty habit of never assuming responsibility for anything they do.

There is nothing wrong with accepting blame if you screwed up. Things happen, deal with it! This is how life works!

Me, if I screw up and wreck a plane, I try and kick my own @$$. If equipment fails, well, maybe it is because I did not use common sense and follow instructions??!!!. On the rare occasion, the equipment failed and lead to a crash. Well, once again, I chose the equipment to install. I guess it is my fault if things go pie-shaped??!!

RC flying is risky. Deal with it.

Bliksem

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Cobra99

Why is it when a plane goes down, it is always a ''brown out'', or tip stall, or servo failure. Hardly ever do people blame themselves for the crash.
Are there honestly pilots out there who think that stalling an airplane isn't 100% their fault? [X(]

I'm not sure what's worse, those or the ones who, when asked why they crashed, respond ''the engine quit.'' Most of the time it's someone who's engine cut out with a couple hundred feet of altitude too.
One may expect many scale models to be much too overweight for their wing but one can't suspect an aerobatic model of the same problem. Yet there are some aerobatic ARFs that are highly loaded which makes them trickier to fly than necessary. Even trickier to land if you don't keep speed up.

A fattened ARF (and any highly loaded plane) will stall faster than you can blink. You've got to know how to keep the speed up on such planes. Also, if it sin't balanced reasonably close, you are in for some lousy flying. It could be design problem (factory) or set-up (you) or both. On balance, although a forward CG is better than an aft CG, if the CG is too far forward, the plane will not only tip stall but possibly experience high speed stall too
Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTK
Yet there are some aerobatic ARFs that are highly loaded which makes them trickier to fly than necessary. Even trickier to land if you don't keep speed up.

A fattened ARF (and any highly loaded plane) will stall faster than you can blink.
While I agree with all that, if you let it stall it's still your own fault. I've never in my life seen a plane, ARF or otherwise, designed so poorly that stable flight couldn't be maintained if it had been built and set up properly. If it wasn't built or set up properly, well...you can probably guess whose fault that is too.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people look at me strange, when this subject comes up at the field. Just because when I do something wrong, I admit it. Like when I crashed a GP .40 stick. Others tried to allow me to use the excuse that I got hit. Nonsense. The nose was dropping, so I applied a bit of "UP" elevator - during point 2 of a 4 point roll, at 15 feet altitude. In the last 40 some years with RC, and another bunch of years with CL and FF, the vast majority of my rekittings were dunb thumbing, nothing else. In fact, I only remember maybe 4 or 5 instances of interference, and a few instances of structural or equipment failure, like the Goldberg ARF Skylark where the starboard wing panel just slid off the spars and joiner, possibly due to the poor gluing I've seen in many balsa ARFs. Even lost a CL plane once thanks to static electricity during a wingover.

I have enough self confidence to make this statement - at least 90% of my plane losses were directly MY fault. A lot of people seem to like to fib to themselves-about themselves.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The one word answer to the original question is insecurity. Think about it. People who bluster and bully are insecure. And they are the same ones who can't admit making a stupid mistake, mostly to themselves.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
frenchie79

Intresting how we don't admit fault-I typically do admit any stupid stuff I do BUT, My only crash was with a Next Star type plane. After third take off it started to head for the ground, in the few brief seconds of no elevator control to the SMACK, I yelled out no radio control, and continued to blame the radio. After inspection of the plane, I found a broken threaded brass link to the Elevator clevis. My fault, I tightened that sucker to many times (2-56 thread). I showed the fellows at the field and blamed myself and passed on a lesson. But for those brief moments IT WASN'T MY FAULT. I guess it's catchy.

Name:	Qo40552.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1435971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88184.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1435972  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.